Old 01-27-2009, 06:07 PM
Kushal Koolwal

Default Which FS for USB Flash Drive

Hi,

Does anybody have any experience with installing Debian (say Lenny) on USB flash drives? I would like to install Debian on my PQI 4 GB USB flash drive but I am not sure which filesystem to use - ext2, ext3, XFS?

My primary concern/criteria in selecting a fs would be throughput/performance.

I am tried searching around the internet but most of the articles talk about preparing a LIVE USB flash drive which is *not* what I would like to do. I just want a plain Debian system on my USB flash drive just like on any IDE Hard Drive.

Thanks

I do blog at http://blogs.koolwal.net/

Old 01-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 01-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Kushal Koolwal

>What is the difference? What difference do you want to achieve with respect to a 'live' debian system?

I would like to use my USB device for reading and writing to the drive just as we do on a regular IDE hard drive.
AFAIK, a live usb system would not allow me to write data persistently just like a live CD.

Also my original question was for a recommendation of FS for installing Debian on a USB flash drive.