Old 01-27-2009, 06:02 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Default packages in a fresh install

Hi!

I am upgrading my notebook. The old one runs etch like a charm. I want
to run etch in the new notebook too, and to have installed in it exactly
the same packages than in the old one. So,
1) does exist a file with the information of all the packages installed
in the old system?
2) is it possible to use this information in the fresh installation on
the new system?

thanks in advance!

regards

Marcelo

--
Marcelo Chiapparini

Old 01-27-2009, 06:28 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Tuesday 2009 January 27 13:02:11 Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
>1) does exist a file with the information of all the packages installed
>in the old system?

Yes. /var/lib/dpkg/status

>2) is it possible to use this information in the fresh installation on
>the new system?

Yes.

(I guessed from your headers you wanted to be CC'd, I apologize if that is not
the case.)
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Michael Wagner

* Marcelo Chiapparini <marcelo.chiappa@gmail.com> 27.01.2009

> I am upgrading my notebook. The old one runs etch like a charm. I want
> to run etch in the new notebook too, and to have installed in it exactly
> the same packages than in the old one. So,
> 1) does exist a file with the information of all the packages installed
> in the old system?
> 2) is it possible to use this information in the fresh installation on
> the new system?

Hello Marcelo,

it's easy. From the manpage of "dpkg"

To make a local copy of the package selection states:
dpkg --get-selections >myselections

You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it there with:
dpkg --clear-selections
dpkg --set-selections <myselections

Hth Michael

--
Life is a state of consciousness.
-Emmett Fox

Old 01-27-2009, 07:57 PM
Marcelo Chiapparini

Michael Wagner wrote:

* Marcelo Chiapparini <marcelo.chiappa@gmail.com> 27.01.2009

I am upgrading my notebook. The old one runs etch like a charm. I want
to run etch in the new notebook too, and to have installed in it exactly
the same packages than in the old one. So,
1) does exist a file with the information of all the packages installed
in the old system?
2) is it possible to use this information in the fresh installation on
the new system?

Hello Marcelo,

Hi Michael, thank you very much for the help.

it's easy. From the manpage of "dpkg"

To make a local copy of the package selection states:
dpkg --get-selections >myselections

You might transfer this file to another computer, and install it there with:
dpkg --clear-selections
dpkg --set-selections <myselections

and then, in order to install the packages, should I do "aptitude update"?

thanks!

--
Marcelo Chiapparini