Old 01-27-2009, 01:59 AM
Umarzuki Mochlis

Default Equivalence to apt-get install -f

For aptitude, is there an equivalence to
# apt-get install -f

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-27-2009, 04:33 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:59:56AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> For aptitude, is there an equivalence to
> # apt-get install -f

Just plain "aptitude install" will try to fix any broken dependencies.

Daniel

Old 01-27-2009, 12:58 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:33:28PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:59:56AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > For aptitude, is there an equivalence to
> > # apt-get install -f
>
> Just plain "aptitude install" will try to fix any broken dependencies.

Though occasionally too smart.

One use case:

dpkg --install package.deb

Which happens to fail due to a missing dependency, and then:

apt-get install -f

I haven't tried it with aptitude recently but at least in the past (4-5
monthes ago? not sure) it tried installing too much stuff.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 09:33:28PM -0800, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 10:59:56AM +0800, Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > For aptitude, is there an equivalence to
> > # apt-get install -f
>
> Just plain "aptitude install" will try to fix any broken dependencies.

Note that aptitude has a "-f" option, but it does something different:
it disables the hints that aptitude normally gives the resolver which
tell it to try extra hard not to change the actions you passed on the
command-line.

Daniel

Old 01-27-2009, 02:59 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 01:58:32PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> was heard to say:
> One use case:
>
> dpkg --install package.deb
>
> Which happens to fail due to a missing dependency, and then:
>
> apt-get install -f
>
> I haven't tried it with aptitude recently but at least in the past (4-5
> monthes ago? not sure) it tried installing too much stuff.

What do you mean by "too much stuff"?

Daniel

Old 01-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 07:59:51AM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 01:58:32PM +0000, Tzafrir Cohen <tzafrir@cohens.org.il> was heard to say:
> > One use case:
> >
> > dpkg --install package.deb
> >
> > Which happens to fail due to a missing dependency, and then:
> >
> > apt-get install -f
> >
> > I haven't tried it with aptitude recently but at least in the past (4-5
> > monthes ago? not sure) it tried installing too much stuff.
>
> What do you mean by "too much stuff"?

I recall it tried to install unnecessary packages. Sadly I don't have
any specific example right now.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend