Old 01-26-2009, 11:54 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Problems with installation of OpenOffice 3.0

On 01/26/2009 05:20 PM, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

From openoffice web site I downloaded the tarball

OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz and installed it in my Debian
system. But then, when I start openoffice, it fails with the following error
message:

$ openoffice.org3
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice: line 124: /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/pagein: No such file or directory
/opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while loading shared libraries: libuno_sal.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

. Anybody who has a direct experience on the matter, who installed OpenOffice
from tarball?

Shouldn't it be ooffice?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-27-2009, 10:14 AM
Angus Auld

> OOo_3.0.0_LinuxIntel_install_wJRE_en-US.tar.gz and
> installed it in my Debian
> system. But then, when I start openoffice, it fails with
> the following error
> message:
>
> $ openoffice.org3
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice: line 124:
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/../basis-link/program/pagein:
> No such file or directory
> /opt/openoffice.org3/program/soffice.bin: error while
>
> . Anybody who has a direct experience on the matter, who
> installed OpenOffice
> from tarball?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Openoffice offers a package for Debian that contains all the necessary debs.
You can get it by making your choice here:

http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

I've installed Openoffice3 using this package (after uninstalling the default Openoffice packages on my lenny system), and everything seems to be working fine.

HTH's.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

###Laptop powered by Debian Linux###
######Reg. Linux User #278931######

Old 01-27-2009, 10:27 AM
Ron Johnson

OP might also like the packages from http://www.go-oo.org

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
Rodolfo Medina

On Jan 27, 11:30 am, Angus Auld <aonghas_a...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for your suggestion, I'll try it.
But, should I choose the `Linux DEB' or `Linux 64 DEB' package?
This is not clear to me.

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 01-27-2009, 03:43 PM
Peter Hillier-Brook

From: Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.med...@gmail.com> Subject: Problems
with installation of OpenOffice 3.0 To:
debian-u...@lists.debian.org Date: Monday, January 26, 2009,
11:20 PM

From openoffice web site I downloaded the tarball

[...]

It depends on your version: if you're running 64 bit Debian then use the
64 bit OOo. It works fine for me installed via :

dpkg -i -R ./DEBS
assuming that the DEBS directory is immediately below your current
working directory. Don't forget that you need to completely remove any
previous version(s): I did this via Synaptic with an "uninstall
completely" operation for all the packages with openoffice in them.

Peter HB

Old 01-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Javier Barroso

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 12:24 PM, Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> wrote:

Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> writes:

>>> Openoffice offers a package for Debian that contains all the

>>> necessary debs. You can get it by making your choice here:

>>> http://download.openoffice.org/other.html#en-US

>>> I've installed Openoffice3 using this package (after uninstalling

>>> the default Openoffice packages on my lenny system), and everything

>>> seems to be working fine.Anyone is with oo 3 from experimental , I suppose it is fine?

Peter Hillier-Brook <phb@hbsys.plus.com> writes:

> It depends on your version: if you're running 64 bit Debian then use the 64

> bit OOo.

How can I know if I'm running 64 bit Debian?just run "uname -r"

> Don't forget that you need to completely remove any previous

> version(s): I did this via Synaptic with an "uninstall completely" operation

> for all the packages with openoffice in them.

Can you report the exact syntax to do that?

From command line:
aptitude purge ~nopenoffice.org

Regards

Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Old 01-28-2009, 10:24 AM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Javier Barroso wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> How can I know if I'm running 64 bit Debian?
>
> just run "uname -r"

This will return the architecture of the kernel, but it is possible to
run a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userland.

dpkg-architecture will list the architecture that dpkg expects.

--
Men are always ready to respect anything that bores them.
-- Marilyn Monroe

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 01-29-2009, 04:42 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> $ uname -r
> 2.6.18-4-k7

That's a k7 kernel (optimized for Athlons). 32-bit.

> $ dpkg-architecture
> DEB_BUILD_ARCH=i386

And a matching architecture.

> So, am I running 64 bit Debian?

Definitely not.

--
Let the machine do the dirty work.
-- "Elements of Programming Style", Kernighan and Ritchie

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 01-29-2009, 05:23 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI <eduardo@kalinowski.com.br> writes:

> This will return the architecture of the kernel, but it is possible to
> run a 64-bit kernel with 32-bit userland.
>
> dpkg-architecture will list the architecture that dpkg expects.

$ uname -r
2.6.18-4-k7

$ dpkg-architecture
DEB_BUILD_ARCH=i386