Old 01-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Default Sound Only Plays Behind System Bell

I've been installing lenny over the past weeks. All was well. Somewhere
the sound stopped working. "I wasn't checking it after each new package."

Can't get any test sounds in multimedia selector.

Tried different settings there including turning off system sounds.

Tried alsaconf even though it said it was unnecessary on lenny.

Tried installing alsa drivers with module-assistant. Still modprobe shows
nothing about alsa.

Left streaming radio playing once and noticed I could here the music
behind system bells from xterm.

I don't know where to go from here other than to start uninstalling
backward through the aptitude log. Not looking forward to that.

Any help appreciated!

--
freeman

Chip is SigmaTel STAC9752,53

Results of lspci & aptitude installed packages search:

lspci
IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM (ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M)
AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 1)

aptitude search ~isound
esound clients
esound common
flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound
libasound2
linux-sound-base
sound-juicer

aptitude search ~ialsa
alsa-base
alsa-firmware-loaders
alsa-modules-2.6.26-1-686
alsa-oss
alsa-source
alsa-tools
alsa-tools-gui
alsa-utils
alsamixergui
alsaplayer-alsa
alsaplayer-common
alsaplayer-esd
alsaplayer-gtk
alsaplayer-oss
gstreamer-0.10-alsa
libpt-1.10.10-plugins-alsa
libpt-1.11.2-plugins-alsa
libsdl1.2debian-alsa

aptitude search ~ioss
alsa-oss
alsaplayer-oss
libossp-uuid-perl
libossp-uuid15
libpt-1.10.10-plugins-oss
oss-compat

aptitud search ~iesd
alsaplayer-esd
gstreamer0.10-esd
libesd0

Old 01-29-2009, 12:04 AM
Coolness

It was something about gkrellm. I was trying it as a temporary solution with
openbox since pypanel has been dropped and tint doesn't yet have all that
functionality. Maybe it was the gkrellm volume control plugin. I don't know.
I dumped the whole thing.

--
freeman