Old 01-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Peter Crawford

Default ownership of /dev/raw1394

Folk,

j:/home/pc# ls -dl /dev/raw*
crw-rw---- 1 root disk 171, 0 2009-01-26 10:21 /dev/raw1394

Changing the group from "disk" to "video" allows a user of
coriander, access to the camera.* Yet this is unsatisfactory because
changing an ownership after each reboot is inconvenient and
because IEEE 1394 should support various devices including
disk drives and cameras.

Is a more intelligent solution available currently?

Thanks,********* ... p. crawford

Twice the fun— Share photos while you chat with Windows Live Messenger.

Old 01-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Joel Roth

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:43:31PM -0800, Peter Crawford wrote:

> Folk,
>
> j:/home/pc# ls -dl /dev/raw*
> crw-rw---- 1 root disk 171, 0 2009-01-26 10:21 /dev/raw1394
>
> Changing the group from "disk" to "video" allows a user of
> coriander, access to the camera. Yet this is unsatisfactory because
> changing an ownership after each reboot is inconvenient and
> because IEEE 1394 should support various devices including
> disk drives and cameras.
>
> Is a more intelligent solution available currently?

1) write your own udev rule
2) have a script in /etc/init.d do the chown on bootup

good luck with this

joel

--
Joel Roth

Old 01-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Mike Castle

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> 1) write your own udev rule
> 2) have a script in /etc/init.d do the chown on bootup

While I agree that, in this instance, a udev solution is more
appropriate (this stuff can change with hot plugging, right?), one
option that I use a lot is mucking around with
/etc/security/group.conf

The following works for most things that I need:
gdm; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy
login; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy

Depending on the nature of your machine (single use, shared family
use, etc), a combination of udev + group.conf may be the best
approach.

mrc

Old 01-27-2009, 04:32 AM
Joel Roth

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:28:58PM -0800, Mike Castle wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 12:49 PM, Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> wrote:
> > 1) write your own udev rule
> > 2) have a script in /etc/init.d do the chown on bootup
>
> While I agree that, in this instance, a udev solution is more
> appropriate (this stuff can change with hot plugging, right?), one
> option that I use a lot is mucking around with
> /etc/security/group.conf
>
> The following works for most things that I need:
> gdm; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy
> login; *; *; Al0000-2400; audio, video, cdrom, floppy

That's pam stuff, I've never touched that before. Worth
learning about. Thanks for posting this.

> Depending on the nature of your machine (single use, shared family
> use, etc), a combination of udev + group.conf may be the best
> approach.
>
> mrc

Joel Roth