Old 01-26-2009, 07:17 AM

Default Fsck encrypted filesystem

Hi

I have a relaively recent debian install with LUKS encrypted filesystem, default options.

An error has been detected on the HD and it will not boot anymore, FSCK wants the root password to do system maintenence.

I do not know the root password and I would like to fsck the drive.

How can I do this?

Thanks

-Alan

Old 01-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Adrian Levi

2009/1/26 <lineman@ruiner.halo.nu>:
> Hi
>
> I have a relaively recent debian install with LUKS encrypted filesystem, default options.
>
> An error has been detected on the HD and it will not boot anymore, FSCK wants the root password to do system maintenence.
>

> I do not know the root password and I would like to fsck the drive.
>
> How can I do this?

Wow, good luck with this (Having never played with encrypted volumes
because of the added complexity and problems), My advice would be to:

1: Find the root password.
2: Implement recovery procedures.

or
1: Boot using a rescue media with your volume encryption key, mount
the root fs and modify the root password.
2: fsck the file system.
3: Implement recovery procedures.

or
Reinstall the system.

Hopefully someone else here will be able to give you some pointers
although by encrypting the drive you are trying to thwart the exact
things you need to accomplish.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.

Old 01-26-2009, 09:22 AM
subscriptions

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 09:17 +0100, lineman@ruiner.halo.nu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a relaively recent debian install with LUKS encrypted filesystem, default options.
>
> An error has been detected on the HD and it will not boot anymore, FSCK wants the root password to do system maintenence.
>

> I do not know the root password and I would like to fsck the drive.
>
> How can I do this?
>
> Thanks
>
> -Alan

Boot with any Linux Live disk which support cryptsetup.

Then map the encrypted volume (e.g. hdc1):
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/hdc1 unencryptednode

Then 'fsck' the disk:
# fsck /dev/mapper/unencryptednode

That is it.

btw. strange you know the password for the encryption, but not for root?

Best,

Rob

Old 01-26-2009, 09:25 AM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 01-26-2009, 07:48 PM
Richard Hector

On Mon, 2009-01-26 at 11:25 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich wrote:

> - From what you write, I have to assume that there is a good reason, why
> the person who installed the system did not give you the root password.

Isn't that normal if you choose to setup sudo during installation? I
don't think I've set up a debian box like that, but I think it's the
normal Ubuntu way, right? There is no root password; sudo is the only
way.

Richard

Old 01-26-2009, 10:25 PM
Alex Potter

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:50:08 +0100, Richard Hector wrote:

> I think it's the normal Ubuntu way, right?

It is.

--
Regards
Alex

http://www.badphorm.co.uk/

Old 01-26-2009, 10:47 PM
Alex Samad

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 02:17:39AM -0600, lineman@ruiner.halo.nu wrote:
> Hi
>
> I have a relaively recent debian install with LUKS encrypted filesystem, default options.
>
> An error has been detected on the HD and it will not boot anymore, FSCK wants the root password to do system maintenence.
>

> I do not know the root password and I would like to fsck the drive.
>
> How can I do this?
presuming you have grub (and its not password protected) and you have
the encryption password.

on boot up, press e when you get to the grubmenu and init=/bin/bash to
the kernel line and then b to boot

that should get you to where u want to b

> Thanks
>
> -Alan

Pilfering Treasury property is paticularly dangerous: big thieves are
ruthless in punishing little thieves.
-- Diogenes

Old 01-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Alex Potter wrote:

> On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:50:08 +0100, Richard Hector wrote:
>
>> I think it's the normal Ubuntu way, right?
>
> It is.

I don't understand why ubuntu users keep coming to debian forumes with their
ubuntu problems.

besides the explanation given by ubuntu for dropping the root account is
quite hard to understand like many things I've seen on their system.

regards

Old 01-29-2009, 10:16 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/29/2009 04:33 PM, Emanoil Kotsev wrote:

Alex Potter wrote:

On Mon, 26 Jan 2009 21:50:08 +0100, Richard Hector wrote:

I think it's the normal Ubuntu way, right?

It is.

I don't understand why ubuntu users keep coming to debian forumes with their
ubuntu problems.

besides the explanation given by ubuntu for dropping the root account is
quite hard to understand like many things I've seen on their system.

Let's not forget NetworkMangler. I installed dual-boot Ubuntu on my
kids's computer because of the handy gui partition resizer tool, but
*hated* the actual Ubuntu installation. Must be too used to the CLI.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-29-2009, 10:33 PM
Emanoil Kotsev

Ron Johnson wrote:

> Let's not forget NetworkMangler. I installed dual-boot Ubuntu on my
> kids's computer because of the handy gui partition resizer tool, but
> *hated* the actual Ubuntu installation. Must be too used to the CLI.

long lives cli, amen!