Old 01-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Mitchell Laks

Default can we capture (grab) xorg clipboard information directly without pressing middle button?

On 01:36 Mon 26 Jan , Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/26/2009 01:28 AM, Mitchell Laks wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am curious. Lets say I highlight some text, in a document and
>> it "gets sent to the clipboard". (xclipboard seems to be a client
>> not the clipboard itself).
>
> Have you tried parcellite/glipper/klipper, xclip or xsel?

Exactly! xclip is perfect!!!!!

http://aarklonlinuxinfo.blogspot.com/2008/11/copy-shell-prompt-output-to-linux-unix.html

xclip - Linux / UNIX Command line clipboard grabber

Copy output of the following command to clipboard:
$ sort -n -k 3, -k 2 file.txt | xclip

Send data.txt contains to the clipboard, enter:
$ cat data.txt | xclip

Put the contents of the selection into a file.
$ xclip -o > file.txt

?

> Meaning that you don't want to save the changes in the original
> document?

Yes Exactly!

>> Can I do that in one step by
>> binding to a hotkey sequence?
>
> One step instead of *two* steps?

of course!!

I want to grab stuff while I am surfing net and dont want to open a file to copy it to.

I can set up a hotkey to
xclip -o -> massage data -> pipe it to xclip

massage data with a perl script and then

cat codified data| xclip -o

and I have modified data in clipboard

and then paste modified data where I want.

Perl - the language for those who are "lazy impatient and have hubris"

Mitchell

Old 01-26-2009, 06:57 AM
Ron Johnson

I am curious. Lets say I highlight some text, in a document and
it "gets sent to the clipboard". (xclipboard seems to be a client
not the clipboard itself).

Have you tried parcellite/glipper/klipper, xclip or xsel?

Exactly! xclip is perfect!!!!!

Hint: I found these suggestions using

$ apt-cache search clipboard

--