Old 01-25-2009, 11:29 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Default .xsession crashes X (was: Scim does not work with openoffice)

I need to create a file .xsession to fill with the following settings:

>> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
>> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
>> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
>> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
>> export LANG=ja_JP.utf8

But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there,
even also
nothing, X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting. How to
solve the
problem? Maybe should I name it with another name?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Old 01-25-2009, 12:28 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:29:37 -0800, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I need to create a file .xsession to fill with the following settings:
>
> >> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> >> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> >> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> >> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> >> export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>

> But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there,
> even also nothing, X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when
> starting.

I don't think that X crashes, it simply exits because it has processed
all the commands and there is nothing left to do. (You do not start a
window manager or any X clients in your session, so it terminates
immediately.)

> How to solve the problem? Maybe should I name it with
> another name?

How do you normally start X? Which desktop environment/window manager
are you using? KDE, for example, has its own way of setting
environmental variables for the whole session.

Florian |

Old 01-25-2009, 01:32 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 03:13:20PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 04:29:37 -0800, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> I need to create a file .xsession to fill with the following settings:

> I use Gnome and normally start X typing the command `startx'.

That is fine.

Although you can make it work with .xsession, ... why try to do things
your way and complain. .xsession requires you to be able to start
session manager by yourself. ~/.xsessionrc should be the one under
lenny for you. But all these needs good understanding of X session
scripting.

There is an easy way!

Did you read all the documentation came with scim such as
/usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz. Did you install im-switch? (I
made/uploaded them) This is what you need to do rather than reading
non-Debian howto.

Read also new:
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thekeyboardinput

Osamu

Old 01-25-2009, 01:53 PM
green

On Sun, 2009-01-25, 025, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> I need to create a file .xsession to fill with the following settings:
>
> >> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> >> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> >> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> >> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> >> export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>

> But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there,
> even also
> nothing, X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting. How to
> solve the
> problem? Maybe should I name it with another name?

I am not sure, but you might be wanting .xsessionrc instead, with only
VAR=setting (no 'export'). I seem to remember reading something about
environment variables going in .xsessionrc.

Old 01-25-2009, 02:13 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> writes:

> I don't think that X crashes, it simply exits because it has processed
> all the commands and there is nothing left to do. (You do not start a
> window manager or any X clients in your session, so it terminates
> immediately.)

>> How to solve the problem? Maybe should I name it with
>> another name?
>
> How do you normally start X? Which desktop environment/window manager
> are you using? KDE, for example, has its own way of setting
> environmental variables for the whole session.

I use Gnome and normally start X typing the command `startx'.

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 PM
Rodolfo Medina

On Jan 25, 2:50 pm, Osamu Aoki <os...@debian.org> wrote:
> Hi,

> > I use Gnome and normally start X typing the command `startx'.
>
> That is fine.
>
> Although you can make it work with .xsession, ... why try to do things
> your way and complain. .xsession requires you to be able to start
> session manager by yourself. ~/.xsessionrc should be the one under
> lenny for you. But all these needs good understanding of X session
> scripting.
>
> There is an easy way!
>
> Did you read all the documentation came with scim such as
> /usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz. Did you install im-switch? (I
> made/uploaded them) This is what you need to do rather than reading
> non-Debian howto.
>
> Read also new:
> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#thekeyb...
>
> Osamu

Thanks for your indications.

But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
sister, she speaks Chinese and
needs writing chinese characters.

With gedit, she simply does:

$ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

, but this does not work with openoffice. Can you suggest how to
achieve it?
She needs word processor features. Otherwise, I'll have to install
ChiTeX and make it
work. But it's very difficult for me to install and for her to use.

Rodolfo

Old 01-25-2009, 04:35 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Thanks for your indications.
>
> But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
> sister, she speaks Chinese and
> needs writing chinese characters.
>
> With gedit, she simply does:
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
>
> , but this does not work with openoffice. Can you suggest how to
> achieve it?
> She needs word processor features.

First, let me say that I have not so far got scim workimg in Debian, but nor
have I particularly tried.

I have however got it working for my grandaughter (who speaks and writes
Japanese) in Kubuntu, OpenSuse and PCLinuxOS. I installed anthy as well as
scim and she has full keyboard input and can type quite fast. (There
are "tricks of the trade", which she knows and I do not - but I can ask her
for instructions if it would help.) Japanese is more complicated than
Chinese in that it has two different syllabaries as well as ideograms, but it
all works.

I have always had problems with OpenOffice. I did get it going in one of
them, 'tho I can't remember which. But the solution was to use another Word
Processor, e.g. KWord. I am sure there are others that would work fine. You
say that it works in Gedit.

I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.

> Otherwise, I'll have to install
> ChiTeX and make it
> work.
> But it's very difficult for me to install and for her to use.

Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
install and to use. When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.

HTH
Lisi