-   -   postgresql setup (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/234206-postgresql-setup.html)

Jude DaShiell 01-25-2009 10:04 AM

postgresql setup

I installed version 8.3.5 with tasksel. When I ran initdb, it ran in
debug mode but ran successfully so far as I can tell. I was then able to
run postgres -D /usr/local/postgresql/data and the message that came back
said postgres was ready to accept connections. I exited that and the
database system shut down. Then I tried createuser dashielljt and the
following came back as an error dialog.

cut here.

Script started on Sun 25 Jan 2009 05:56:42 AM EST
verizon:~# createuser dashielljt
Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n) y
createuser: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
verizon:~# exit
exit

Script done on Sun 25 Jan 2009 05:57:09 AM EST

cut here.

Richard Hector 01-25-2009 10:11 PM

postgresql setup

On Sun, 2009-01-25 at 06:04 -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> Script started on Sun 25 Jan 2009 05:56:42 AM EST
> verizon:~# createuser dashielljt
> Shall the new role be a superuser? (y/n) y
> createuser: could not connect to database postgres: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
> Is the server running locally and accepting
> connections on Unix domain socket "/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> verizon:~# exit

I'm not sure why those particular messages, but I'd normally su to
'postgres' to do administrative stuff like that. Does that help?

Richard

Jude DaShiell 01-26-2009 09:14 PM

postgresql setup

It makes no difference if you've done su - postgres before running
createuser, the same error message appears. I checked that to make sure.
I do have a firewall up and running on this machine and port 5432 is not
open to the world if that helps any.

Jude DaShiell 01-28-2009 09:16 PM

postgresql setup

This gets stranger by the second. I managed to get postgresql going as
user postgres with postgresql -h 127.0.0.1 & <cr>. Then I was able to run
createuser dashielljt successfully and createdb too. So I exited the
postgres identity and dropped back to dashielljt and tried psql -h
127.0.0.1 and psql asked if connections were being accepted locally on
127.0.0.1 and would not run. so I go back to postgres and ran psql -s and
got psql up. I tried i basics.sql in the
/usr/share/doc/postgresql-doc-8.3 tutorial directory and perfectly useable
sql queries came up and ran on a weather table several operations for San
Fransisco and Hayward. So I'm pretty sure something needs configuring and
then it will run. I've been warned about localhost and maybe the warning
is correct even without an ssh server installed.

Alex Potter 01-29-2009 12:40 AM

postgresql setup

On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 23:40:12 +0100, Jude DaShiell wrote:

> This gets stranger by the second. I managed to get postgresql going as
> user postgres with postgresql -h 127.0.0.1 & <cr>. Then I was able to
> run createuser dashielljt successfully and createdb too. So I exited
> the postgres identity and dropped back to dashielljt and tried psql -h
> 127.0.0.1 and psql asked if connections were being accepted locally on
> 127.0.0.1 and would not run.

This sounds as if the service is configured but perhaps not yet started.

Run something like `/etc/init.d/postgresql-8.3 restart` as root and tell
us what happens then try your psql call again.

--
Regards
Alex

Jude DaShiell 01-29-2009 08:19 PM

postgresql setup

I found out a little more just now. Having failed to find the debian
packager's installation instructions for postgresql I removed the packages
from this system. Later I figured to install everything and take another
look. I used the current sid tasksel and checked data base and hit ok.
The installation went error free until after postgresql-doc got installed
then tasksel failed with an error code of 255. So current version of
tasksel is not the way to get this done. I'll check out aptitude and see
what if any it can clean up and straighten out then do a command line
aptitude command to download and install the rest of what's needed.

Jude DaShiell 01-29-2009 08:33 PM

postgresql setup

Okay, I figured all of it out. postgresql is uninstallable because
postgresql-common requires postgresql79 and that's uninstallable. That
sets up a situation almost similar to what I encountered when I tried
installing emacs and gnus but at least gnus is already in the current
version of emacs. So I cleaned out postgresql and will probably be doing
my data base work with mysql until mysql gets broken by updates. At least
this isn't windows,

Tzafrir Cohen 01-29-2009 08:39 PM

postgresql setup

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 04:19:40PM -0500, Jude DaShiell wrote:
> I found out a little more just now. Having failed to find the debian
> packager's installation instructions for postgresql I removed the
> packages from this system. Later I figured to install everything and
> take another look. I used the current sid tasksel and checked data base
> and hit ok. The installation went error free until after postgresql-doc
> got installed then tasksel failed with an error code of 255. So current
> version of tasksel is not the way to get this done. I'll check out
> aptitude and see what if any it can clean up and straighten out then do a
> command line aptitude command to download and install the rest of what's
> needed.

What do you need, exactly? For the server basically install the package
postgresql.

Then if you need to add users or manage the database in any way,

su - postgres

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI 01-30-2009 11:02 AM

postgresql setup

Jude DaShiell wrote:
> Okay, I figured all of it out. postgresql is uninstallable because
> postgresql-common requires postgresql79 and that's uninstallable.

I'm probably feeding a troll right now (and I know I shouldn't), but
neither the etch nor the lenny/sid versions of 'postgresql' depend on
'postgresql79'.

--
It's raisins that make Post Raisin Bran so raisiny ...

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Roger Leigh 01-31-2009 12:38 PM

postgresql setup

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 10:02:01AM -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
> Jude DaShiell wrote:
> > Okay, I figured all of it out. postgresql is uninstallable because
> > postgresql-common requires postgresql79 and that's uninstallable.
>
> I'm probably feeding a troll right now (and I know I shouldn't), but
> neither the etch nor the lenny/sid versions of 'postgresql' depend on
> 'postgresql79'.

It's definitely not a Debian package name in any suite. It doesn't
exist.

merkel% psql -d projectb -c "SELECT package FROM binaries WHERE package = 'postgresql79';"
package
---------
(0 rows)

Regards,