Old 01-24-2009, 07:29 PM
"A. F. Cano"

Default Current state of hibernation/suspend on Lenny (kernel 2.6.26)?

Hello,

Everything I've found on the net (ie: www.linux-laptop.net) is at least
a couple of years old. I've left my Dell Inspiron 8600 on all the time
(plugged in) so far, but now I'm interested in suspending/hibernation.

Everything I've read, particularly related to the 8600, is that there
are problems, but the writings were not recent. I'm particularly
interested in what current issues might still exist in the Lenny standard
kernel (2.6.26). Since I've read that the video driver is a particularly
thorny issue, especially on resume, and I'm using the nvidia legacy
drivers, experiences with this driver will be particularly welcome.
I have a "GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x" GPU, per lshw.

#cat /sys/power/state
standby mem disk

So it seems that there is support, but does it work out of the box?
Any direct experience? Especially with a Dell 8600? I have a very
busy desktop and don't want to risk losing all the information by
pressing the lid button (for instance) and then have to do a dirty
reboot. Can someone reassure me that hibernation/suspend works on
Lenny?

I have noticed that the boot process looks for a resume image at some
point, but the KDE control panel doesn't seem to have a "power control"
entry, like I've read should be there. Can someone tell me if Fn+Esc
(Fn+Suspend in blue lettering) works as it should on the 8600? Then,
how do you resume? Just press the power button?

# cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
LID S3 *enabled
PBTN S4 *enabled
PCI0 S3 disabled no-busci0000:00
USB0 S1 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.0
USB1 S1 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.1
USB2 S1 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.2
USB3 S1 disabled pci:0000:00:1d.7
MODM S3 disabled pci:0000:00:1f.6
PCIE S4 disabled pci:0000:00:1e.0

>From this I gather that closing the lid puts the computer in suspend-to-ram
mode. Correct? And the power button does a suspend-to-disk? But does it
work? Or do I risk big-time corruption and a reboot?

What exactly is the "standby" mode (in /sys/power/state) and how do you
get to it?

A.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:09 AM
"A. F. Cano"

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 03:29:43PM -0500, I said:
> kernel (2.6.26). Since I've read that the video driver is a particularly
> thorny issue, especially on resume, and I'm using the nvidia legacy
> drivers, experiences with this driver will be particularly welcome.
> I have a "GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x" GPU, per lshw.

Well, I had a forced opportunity to try. The keyboard stopped responding
and I had to reboot. So I tried a few things.

The lid button seems to put the system to sleep. The "on" light then has
a slow, gradual blink. But the system never wakes up when the lid button
is released. The only option then is to force a power off by keeping the
power button depressed for the duration it takes to do that (5-10 seconds?)

The power button seems to just turn it off. No "saved to disk" image is
found on power up.

Interestingly, the lid button on a thinkpad 600E only does the equivalent
of a "lock session". Upon release, the screen becomes bright again and you
have to enter the password. Then the previous state resumes.

So, at least with the nvidia legacy driver, resume doesn't work on a Dell
8600.

A.