-   -   3-D graphing software for Linux? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/2337-3-d-graphing-software-linux.html)

"Dotan Cohen" 11-21-2007 05:14 PM

3-D graphing software for Linux?

0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
(and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
integral, etc.

I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

"Jiann-Ming Su" 11-21-2007 06:19 PM

3-D graphing software for Linux?

Not 3D, but a good plotting program: http://plasma-gate.weizmann.ac.il/Grace/

--
Jiann-Ming Su
"The system's broke, Hank. The election baby has peed in

Amit Uttamchandani 11-21-2007 08:34 PM

3-D graphing software for Linux?

> 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> integral, etc.
>
> I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
> as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
> language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
> people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
> will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Octave is great but like you said it is more like a programming language. I think the best option for you out there is GNUPLOT. It is very powerful and can do everything that you ask it for. The only caveat is that you have to write some sort of "script file" for it to be effective. You can use it in the interactive mode and do simple plots. But if you would like to add labels and such it would be easier to put in in a gnuplot script file. I actually think this is more powerful than a GUI application. Here is an example of a GNUPLOT script file.

set key left box
set samples 50
plot [-10:10] sin(x),atan(x),cos(atan(x))

Which plots sin(x), arctan(x), and cos(arctan(x)) in one graph. As you can see it is quite simple. Now, if you want to run this plot again simply save it as "plot1.gnu" and re-run it using "gnuplot plot1.gnu"

That's it!

For more examples of what gnuplot can do check out this web site.

http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.2/

Also there are front ends to gnuplot but I would rather recommend the above "script" files as a learning tool.

Good luck!

Amit

"Dotan Cohen" 11-21-2007 08:56 PM

On 21/11/2007, Amit Uttamchandani <atu13439@csun.edu> wrote:
> > 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> > (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> > available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> > as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> > other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> > integral, etc.
> >
> > I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
> > as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
> > language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
> > people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
> > will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Octave is great but like you said it is more like a programming language. I think the best option for you out there is GNUPLOT. It is very powerful and can do everything that you ask it for. The only caveat is that you have to write some sort of "script file" for it to be effective. You can use it in the interactive mode and do simple plots. But if you would like to add labels and such it would be easier to put in in a gnuplot script file. I actually think this is more powerful than a GUI application. Here is an example of a GNUPLOT script file.
>
> set key left box
> set samples 50
> plot [-10:10] sin(x),atan(x),cos(atan(x))
>
> Which plots sin(x), arctan(x), and cos(arctan(x)) in one graph. As you can see it is quite simple. Now, if you want to run this plot again simply save it as "plot1.gnu" and re-run it using "gnuplot plot1.gnu"
>
> That's it!
>
> For more examples of what gnuplot can do check out this web site.
>
> http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.2/
>
> Also there are front ends to gnuplot but I would rather recommend the above "script" files as a learning tool.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Amit

Thanks, Amit. I've played with it for just a few seconds but I've got
to run... The graph seems to appear and disappear within a nanosecond.
When I have more time I'll google the situation.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Amit Uttamchandani 11-21-2007 09:34 PM

3-D graphing software for Linux?

> Thanks, Amit. I've played with it for just a few seconds but I've got
> to run... The graph seems to appear and disappear within a nanosecond.
> When I have more time I'll google the situation.
>
> Dotan Cohen

That is expected. To avoid that you have to run gnuplot in persist mode...

meaning "gnuplot -persist plot1.gnu" instead of "gnuplot plot1.gnu"

I should have mentioned this earlier it just slipped out of my mind.

Hope that helps.

Amit

Kamaraju S Kusumanchi 11-22-2007 01:35 AM

Dotan Cohen wrote:

> 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> integral, etc.

I think mathematica is what you are after. It is commercial and expensive.
If the functions you are trying out are simple, then maxima (open source,
active mailing list support) might be able to do. I have previously used it
for plotting 2-D functions but do not know much about it's 3-D
capabilities.

hth
raju
--
Kamaraju S Kusumanchi
http://malayamaarutham.blogspot.com/

David Clymer 11-22-2007 01:48 AM

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 20:14 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> integral, etc.

You could check out xmaxima.

-davidc

--
gpg-key: http://www.zettazebra.com/files/key.gpg

Hugo Vanwoerkom 11-22-2007 11:52 AM

Dotan Cohen wrote:

0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
(and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
integral, etc.

I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You mean like this:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/39163b3c-a004-464d-a0a9-9655da7eb0f5/filltest.2

Hugo

"Dotan Cohen" 11-22-2007 01:12 PM

On 22/11/2007, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> > (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> > available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> > as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> > other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> > integral, etc.
> >
> > I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
> > as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
> > language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
> > people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
> > will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.
> >

> You mean like this:
> http://www.esnips.com/doc/39163b3c-a004-464d-a0a9-9655da7eb0f5/filltest.2
>
> Hugo

Yes, programs such as Kalgebra produce graphs like that.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Owen Townend 11-22-2007 01:58 PM

On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 13:34 -0800, Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> > 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> > (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> > available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> > as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> > other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> > integral, etc.
> >
> > I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
> > as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
> > language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
> > people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
> > will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.
>
> Octave is great but like you said it is more like a programming language. I think the best option for you out there is GNUPLOT. It is very powerful and can do everything that you ask it for. The only caveat is that you have to write some sort of "script file" for it to be effective. You can use it in the interactive mode and do simple plots. But if you would like to add labels and such it would be easier to put in in a gnuplot script file. I actually think this is more powerful than a GUI application. Here is an example of a GNUPLOT script file.
>
> set key left box
> set samples 50
> plot [-10:10] sin(x),atan(x),cos(atan(x))
>
> Which plots sin(x), arctan(x), and cos(arctan(x)) in one graph. As you can see it is quite simple. Now, if you want to run this plot again simply save it as "plot1.gnu" and re-run it using "gnuplot plot1.gnu"
>
> That's it!
>
> For more examples of what gnuplot can do check out this web site.
>
> http://gnuplot.sourceforge.net/demo_4.2/
>
> Also there are front ends to gnuplot but I would rather recommend the above "script" files as a learning tool.
>
> Good luck!
>
> Amit

Hey,
If you like the sound of GNUPLOT but want a GUI for it then give Qgfe
a try.

From the package description:
"
QT based Gnuplot Front End
Qgfe is a GUI for gnuplot so that there is no need to learn gnuplot
language to start using it; qgfe allows to export gnuplot scripts
for further manual costumization of the plots.
"

Here's a screenshot:
http://www.xm1math.net/qgfe/qgfe.png

cheers,