Old 11-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Default 3-D graphing software for Linux?

Dotan Cohen wrote:

On 22/11/2007, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:

Dotan Cohen wrote:

0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
(and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
integral, etc.

I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.

You mean like this:
http://www.esnips.com/doc/39163b3c-a004-464d-a0a9-9655da7eb0f5/filltest.2

Hugo

Yes, programs such as Kalgebra produce graphs like that.

But can Kalgebra also draw natal/progressed astrology charts?

Hugo

Old 11-22-2007, 02:22 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 11-22-2007, 03:51 PM
"John W. Foster"

On Thursday 22 November 2007 08:58, Owen Townend wrote:
--------------------lot of stuff snipped---------------
> Hey,
> If you like the sound of GNUPLOT but want a GUI for it then give Qgfe
> a try.
>
> From the package description:
> "
> QT based Gnuplot Front End
> Qgfe is a GUI for gnuplot so that there is no need to learn gnuplot
> language to start using it; qgfe allows to export gnuplot scripts
> for further manual costumization of the plots.
> "
>
> Here's a screenshot:
> http://www.xm1math.net/qgfe/qgfe.png
>
> cheers,
> Owen.
Do you know of a debian package for this? Looks like it will not work with
my 'etch' due to the fact that I have QT4 tools loaded. I will give the
tarball a try anyway.
--
John W. Foster

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Owen Townend

On Thu, 2007-11-22 at 10:51 -0600, John W. Foster wrote:
> On Thursday 22 November 2007 08:58, Owen Townend wrote:
> --------------------lot of stuff snipped---------------
> > Hey,
> > If you like the sound of GNUPLOT but want a GUI for it then give Qgfe
> > a try.
> >
> > From the package description:
> > "
> > QT based Gnuplot Front End
> > Qgfe is a GUI for gnuplot so that there is no need to learn gnuplot
> > language to start using it; qgfe allows to export gnuplot scripts
> > for further manual costumization of the plots.
> > "
> >
> > Here's a screenshot:
> > http://www.xm1math.net/qgfe/qgfe.png
> >
> > cheers,
> > Owen.
> Do you know of a debian package for this? Looks like it will not work with
> my 'etch' due to the fact that I have QT4 tools loaded. I will give the
> tarball a try anyway.
> --
> John W. Foster

Hey,
I can't see it from my etch box as a package, but from my Ubuntu
desktop box (lenny/sid based) it comes up as a universe/math package.

According to an article I found[1] referencing debian unstable package
additions[2], qgfe was added to unstable around July '07.
It's possible you may find it in backports, but it's still a fairly
recent addition.

cheers,
Owen.

P.S.
http://debian-news.net/modules/news/article.php?storyid=2872 (dated July
3rd 2007)
http://packages.debian.org/unstable/newpkg_main (lists packages added
within the last 7 days)

Old 11-22-2007, 04:28 PM
Micha Feigin

On Thu, 22 Nov 2007 16:12:41 +0200
"Dotan Cohen" <dotancohen@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 22/11/2007, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> > Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > > 0In an advanced Calculus course, we are dealing with functions with 2
> > > (and more) variables. Is there any 3-D graphing software for Linux
> > > available? Something like Kalgebra, but with a bit more functions such
> > > as multiple functions graphed at the same time, asymptote min max and
> > > other significant points, zoom into 3-D graph, graph of derivative and
> > > integral, etc.
> > >
> > > I have been directed to look at some math programming languages such
> > > as root, octave, and R, but I really need an application, not a
> > > language. This app will be used by others in my calculus course,
> > > people with no computer background, so these language solutions simply
> > > will not work for us. Thanks in advance for any advice.
> > >

> > You mean like this:
> > http://www.esnips.com/doc/39163b3c-a004-464d-a0a9-9655da7eb0f5/filltest.2
> >
> > Hugo
>
> Yes, programs such as Kalgebra produce graphs like that.
>
> Dotan Cohen
>
> http://what-is-what.com
> http://gibberish.co.il

Have a look at octave and scilab, there is also maxima for linear algebra but I
don't know if it does graphs

Old 11-22-2007, 11:20 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 22/11/2007, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601@care2.com> wrote:
> Dotan Cohen wrote:

> >> You mean like this:
> >> http://www.esnips.com/doc/39163b3c-a004-464d-a0a9-9655da7eb0f5/filltest.2
> >>
> >> Hugo
> >
> > Yes, programs such as Kalgebra produce graphs like that.
> >

> But can Kalgebra also draw natal/progressed astrology charts?

I don't need that. However, there _are_ functions that I do need that
Kalgebra does not provide. Hence this thread.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?

Old 11-22-2007, 11:21 PM
"Dotan Cohen"

On 22/11/2007, Owen Townend <bowbowbow@optushome.com.au> wrote:
> If you like the sound of GNUPLOT but want a GUI for it then give Qgfe
> a try.
>
> From the package description:
> "
> QT based Gnuplot Front End
> Qgfe is a GUI for gnuplot so that there is no need to learn gnuplot
> language to start using it; qgfe allows to export gnuplot scripts
> for further manual costumization of the plots.
> "
>
> Here's a screenshot:
> http://www.xm1math.net/qgfe/qgfe.png
>
> cheers,
> Owen.

Thank you, I will definetly give that a look.

Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com
http://gibberish.co.il

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.