FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Hal Vaughan
 
Default Joining Two Videos

I have to join two videos, in different versions, one in .mpg for DVDs and one in .mp4. What's the best program that can do this without glitches or a high learning curve on Etch? No editing, no dissolves, just stick one after the other.



Thanks!





Hal
 
Old 01-24-2009, 07:54 AM
Alan Chandler
 
Default Joining Two Videos

On Friday 23 Jan 2009, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I have to join two videos, in different versions, one in .mpg for
> DVDs and one in .mp4. What's the best program that can do this
> without glitches or a high learning curve on Etch? No editing, no
> dissolves, just stick one after the other.


This is actually a little harder than you would have thought, because
some of the video "container" formats hold information about the whole
video inside them (mp4 does for instance) so just concatenating them
doesn't work.

You have to convert them to a format where this doesn't happen - and
then you can concatenate. I believe (but advise you to try check it
out via googling) that mpeg2 is OK.

You can convert formats with ffmpeg.

The alternative is to fire up Cinelerra, import both clips, and then
render a new video from it. I think that is what I would do.
--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Alex Samad
 
Default Joining Two Videos

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:54:51AM +0000, Alan Chandler wrote:
> On Friday 23 Jan 2009, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I have to join two videos, in different versions, one in .mpg for
> > DVDs and one in .mp4. What's the best program that can do this
> > without glitches or a high learning curve on Etch? No editing, no
> > dissolves, just stick one after the other.
>
>
> This is actually a little harder than you would have thought, because
> some of the video "container" formats hold information about the whole
> video inside them (mp4 does for instance) so just concatenating them
> doesn't work.

there is a handle little tool call avidemux which should do the trick,
bit of swiss army knife.

but you might still run into problems if the source if different size
and audio is different.



>
> You have to convert them to a format where this doesn't happen - and
> then you can concatenate. I believe (but advise you to try check it
> out via googling) that mpeg2 is OK.
>
> You can convert formats with ffmpeg.
>
> The alternative is to fire up Cinelerra, import both clips, and then
> render a new video from it. I think that is what I would do.
> --
> Alan Chandler
> http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany"

- George W. Bush
05/05/2006
Washington, DC
 
Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi
 
Default Joining Two Videos

Hal Vaughan wrote:
I have to join two videos, in different versions, one in .mpg for DVDs
and one in .mp4. What's the best program that can do this without
glitches or a high learning curve on Etch? No editing, no dissolves,
just stick one after the other.


For the mpeg files,
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts
format=dvd:tsaf file1.mpg file2.mpg -o output.mpg

Not so sure about mp4. Try this,
mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of lavf -lavfopts
format=mp4 file1.mp4 file2.mp4 -o output.mp4



Thanks!

Hal




--

If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
-- Albert Einstein


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 PM
subscriptions
 
Default Joining Two Videos

On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 13:58 +0100, Raj Kiran Grandhi wrote:
>
> Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I have to join two videos, in different versions, one in .mpg for
> DVDs
> > and one in .mp4. What's the best program that can do this without
> > glitches or a high learning curve on Etch? No editing, no dissolves,
> > just stick one after the other.
>
> For the mpeg files,
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of mpeg -mpegopts
> format=dvd:tsaf file1.mpg file2.mpg -o output.mpg
>
> Not so sure about mp4. Try this,
> mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -of lavf -lavfopts
> format=mp4 file1.mp4 file2.mp4 -o output.mp4

Do not forget proper time indexing.
$ mencoder -forceidx -ovc copy -oac copy -o out.avi f1.avi f2.avi f3.avi

Rob



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:17 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org