Old 01-24-2009, 05:34 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Scrolling works in vim by default in gnome-terminal but not in mrxvt

On 01/24/2009 12:24 AM, Countable Infinity wrote:

Experiment 1
===========
1. Open gnome-terminal
2. Run vim
3. Run command :help in vim
4. Use scroll wheel of the mouse to scroll
5. Scrolling happens successfully

Experiment 2
===========
1. Open mrxvt
2. Run vim
3. Run command :help in vim
4. Use scroll wheel of the mouse to scroll
5. Scrolling does NOT happen successfully
6. Rn command :set mouse=a in vim
7. Scrolling happens successfully

Could you please tell me why this difference occurs?

The short (and possibly wrong) answer would be that rxvt is designed
to be small and simple: gnome-terminal is a lot more featureful than
rxvt, and a lot fatter, and this must be one of the extra things
that g-t can do.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Countable Infinity wrote:

Experiment 1
===========
1. Open gnome-terminal
2. Run vim
3. Run command :help in vim
4. Use scroll wheel of the mouse to scroll
5. Scrolling happens successfully

Experiment 2
===========
1. Open mrxvt
2. Run vim
3. Run command :help in vim
4. Use scroll wheel of the mouse to scroll
5. Scrolling does NOT happen successfully
6. Rn command :set mouse=a in vim
7. Scrolling happens successfully

Could you please tell me why this difference occurs?

I believe g-t maps scroll actions to <Up> and <Down> keys. Try mapping
<Up> or <Down> in vim to something and you will find that the mapping is
activated when you use the scroll button.

This feature is not present in the etch version of g-t. Must have been
introduced after that.

-- Albert Einstein