Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   portaudio2/device busy? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/233648-portaudio2-device-busy.html)

Tamas Hegedus 01-24-2009 05:06 AM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
Hi,

I would like to use espeak (text to voice application).
I got error the error messages below.

It was reported that several years ago it was a segmentation fault of
portaudio19 (segmentation fault if device is busy; espeak uses
libportaudio2). Later on the same messages are emitted I get. But I can
not find any solution for this (I goggled). Any idea?


Thanks in advance,
tamas

espeak "this is a test"
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142

wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Tamas Hegedus 01-24-2009 05:07 AM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
I have debian/lenny.

Tamas Hegedus wrote:

Hi,

I would like to use espeak (text to voice application).
I got error the error messages below.

It was reported that several years ago it was a segmentation fault of
portaudio19 (segmentation fault if device is busy; espeak uses
libportaudio2). Later on the same messages are emitted I get. But I can
not find any solution for this (I goggled). Any idea?


Thanks in advance,
tamas

espeak "this is a test"
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142

wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Nigel Henry 01-24-2009 03:03 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
On Saturday 24 January 2009 07:06, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I would like to use espeak (text to voice application).
> I got error the error messages below.
>
> It was reported that several years ago it was a segmentation fault of
> portaudio19 (segmentation fault if device is busy; espeak uses
> libportaudio2). Later on the same messages are emitted I get. But I can
> not find any solution for this (I goggled). Any idea?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> tamas
>
> espeak "this is a test"
> Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
> 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
> Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
> StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
> line: 1142
> Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
> 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
> Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
> StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
> line: 1142
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
> wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)

Hi Tamas.

I've just installed espeak on my Lenny install, and it plays the "this is a
test" with no problems. Mind you the sound card on the machine that Lenny's
installed on, is an audigy2 soundblaster, which is capable of playing
multiple audio streams.

Which sound card do you have? cat /proc/asound/cards should give enough of an
indication.

If you're using Gnome, it may be worth shutting down ESD in Gnomes sound
settings, or if using KDE, like me, shut down the aRts sound server, then try
the espeak test line again. It could be that portaudio is having a problem,
if another soundserver is running, and with a card not capable of playing
multiple audio streams.

I've also just installed it on another machine with an hda intel card, on both
Etch, with the aRts soundserver running on KDE, and Kubuntu Intrepid, and
both play the test ok.

Which kernel are you using on Lenny? uname -r
Which alsa driver version? cat /proc/asound/version

Anything else using the sound when you run the espeak test, which may be
stopping you hearing sound?
lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
lsof | grep /dev/snd

Did you install espeak, and it's deps from the Lenny repo, or from a source
tarball?

I assume that the sounds are working, apart from espeak.

You no doubt are, but verify you are a member of /etc/group/audio, if there
are general sound problems as user.

Can't think of much else at the moment.

Nigel.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Tamas Hegedus 01-24-2009 04:12 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
Hi,

I stopped pulseaudio.
BTW: This did not work "/etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop"
I had to use 'kill'.

And 'espeaks' works!

****
Could you see my other thread - problem with my
other computer's sound system.
"Re: sound card not detected"
You seem an audio expert!
****

Thanks a lot!
tamas


Nigel Henry wrote:

On Saturday 24 January 2009 07:06, Tamas Hegedus wrote:

Hi,

I would like to use espeak (text to voice application).
I got error the error messages below.

It was reported that several years ago it was a segmentation fault of
portaudio19 (segmentation fault if device is busy; espeak uses
libportaudio2). Later on the same messages are emitted I get. But I can
not find any solution for this (I goggled). Any idea?

Thanks in advance,
tamas

espeak "this is a test"
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
Expression 'parameters->channelCount <= maxChans' failed in
'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c', line: 924
Expression 'ValidateParameters( outputParameters, hostApi,
StreamDirection_Out )' failed in 'src/hostapi/alsa/pa_linux_alsa.c',
line: 1142
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)
wave_open_sound > Pa_OpenStream : err=-9996 (Invalid device)


Hi Tamas.

I've just installed espeak on my Lenny install, and it plays the "this is a
test" with no problems. Mind you the sound card on the machine that Lenny's
installed on, is an audigy2 soundblaster, which is capable of playing
multiple audio streams.


Which sound card do you have? cat /proc/asound/cards should give enough of an
indication.


If you're using Gnome, it may be worth shutting down ESD in Gnomes sound
settings, or if using KDE, like me, shut down the aRts sound server, then try
the espeak test line again. It could be that portaudio is having a problem,
if another soundserver is running, and with a card not capable of playing
multiple audio streams.


I've also just installed it on another machine with an hda intel card, on both
Etch, with the aRts soundserver running on KDE, and Kubuntu Intrepid, and
both play the test ok.


Which kernel are you using on Lenny? uname -r
Which alsa driver version? cat /proc/asound/version

Anything else using the sound when you run the espeak test, which may be
stopping you hearing sound?

lsof -n | grep /dev/dsp
lsof | grep /dev/snd

Did you install espeak, and it's deps from the Lenny repo, or from a source
tarball?


I assume that the sounds are working, apart from espeak.

You no doubt are, but verify you are a member of /etc/group/audio, if there
are general sound problems as user.


Can't think of much else at the moment.

Nigel.







--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Nigel Henry 01-24-2009 06:55 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
On Saturday 24 January 2009 18:12, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I stopped pulseaudio.
> BTW: This did not work "/etc/init.d/pulseaudio stop"
> I had to use 'kill'.
>
> And 'espeaks' works!
>
> ****
> Could you see my other thread - problem with my
> other computer's sound system.
> "Re: sound card not detected"
> You seem an audio expert!
> ****
>
> Thanks a lot!
> tamas

Hi Tamas.

When I saw your error messages when trying to run the espeak test, and they
mentioned "pa", I instantly thought that it was a pulseaudio problem, but
then realised that pulseaudio is not installed as default on Lenny (at least
not on my Lenny, which started off as a Woody install), so I then presumed
that "pa" referred to portaudio, but it seems that it was actually referring
to pulseaudio.

I assume that you had installed pulseaudio at some time or other, to try it
out, and I see that it's available for Lenny. Pulseaudio does appear to have
some problems, as I've seen on other mailing lists. Myself, I have disabled
it on my Fedora installs, and the only install where it still is installed is
on an Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. I'll try installing espeak on that, and see if I
have the same problems as you had.

Ok. I've just installed espeak on my Ubuntu install, which is using
pulseaudio, and no sound output from the espeak test, and similar error
messages to yours, but I do also have the Orca program installed, which is
playing back text to speech, so perhaps Orca is grabbing the soundcard, which
would explain why I get no sound output from espeak.

So next I quit Orca, and try the espeak test again, which plays back the text
ok.

Pulseaudio is still up and running, but no problem with espeak on Ubuntu
Intrepid 8.10. Perhaps it's a newer version of pulseaudio, which has resolved
some earlier problems with portaudio.

Installing the sysv-rc-conf package could help. run it as root on the command
line, and you can disable pulseaudio (for example), which saves having to
kill it, each time you boot up.

I'll look at your other thread, but I'm no sound expert. I've just had a
certain degree of success in helping some folks to get their sound working.
Sometimes it's just giving some pointers, and they've done the rest.

Nice you've got espeak working now. I don't see Orca in Lenny's repo, but it
seems to work ok on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10. You may have too look for a
tarball. I'll take that back as it appears to be the package gnome-orca , and
I see that package in synaptic on Lenny. There are a few deps to be
installed, and I'm currently installing gnome-orca to see if it works the
same as on Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10.

I'm not blind, or sight impaired, apart from needing glasses to focus properly
on what I'm reading, but it could always get worse I suppose.

All the best.

Nigel.





--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Tamas Hegedus 01-25-2009 03:21 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
Nigel Henry wrote:
I assume that you had installed pulseaudio at some time or other, to try it
Yes, I installed it myself. Since when I was fighting to set up my
audio, at a point I red that I need a sound server. So I installed it
and the sound was working on my linux box.


Installing the sysv-rc-conf package could help. run it as root on the command
line, and you can disable pulseaudio (for example), which saves having to
kill it, each time you boot up.

After I killed pulseaudio:
However, 'espeak' was working, I got the message that "can not connect
to pulseaudio".


So last night I thought I do not need pulseaudio, so I simply removed
it. Rebooted.
But now still everything complains that "can not connect to pulseaudio"
and no sound at all.


I tried to google and find a site where I can understand the sound
architecture of Linux (not ALSA - but the whole picture), but I could
not find anything.


So I do not know now how to proceed. Can you suggest something to
read/learn?


And also something how to solve the situation:
* having a soundserver (pulseaudio? or should I use esound?) for the
common sound applications
* having espeak to work - w/o a soundserver (wrapping around it to avoid
the server layer)


I have tried aoss - it was working for 'aoss flite -t "test sound"'
(flite needs oss) but not for 'aoss espeak "test sound"'...


Thanks again,
tamas


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Nigel Henry 01-25-2009 07:26 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
On Sunday 25 January 2009 17:21, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> Nigel Henry wrote:
> > I assume that you had installed pulseaudio at some time or other, to try
> > it
>
> Yes, I installed it myself. Since when I was fighting to set up my
> audio, at a point I red that I need a sound server. So I installed it
> and the sound was working on my linux box.
>
> > Installing the sysv-rc-conf package could help. run it as root on the
> > command line, and you can disable pulseaudio (for example), which saves
> > having to kill it, each time you boot up.
>
> After I killed pulseaudio:
> However, 'espeak' was working, I got the message that "can not connect
> to pulseaudio".
>
> So last night I thought I do not need pulseaudio, so I simply removed
> it. Rebooted.
> But now still everything complains that "can not connect to pulseaudio"
> and no sound at all.
>
> I tried to google and find a site where I can understand the sound
> architecture of Linux (not ALSA - but the whole picture), but I could
> not find anything.
>
> So I do not know now how to proceed. Can you suggest something to
> read/learn?
>
> And also something how to solve the situation:
> * having a soundserver (pulseaudio? or should I use esound?) for the
> common sound applications
> * having espeak to work - w/o a soundserver (wrapping around it to avoid
> the server layer)
>
> I have tried aoss - it was working for 'aoss flite -t "test sound"'
> (flite needs oss) but not for 'aoss espeak "test sound"'...
>
> Thanks again,
> tamas

Hi Tamas.

You should not need to use any sound servers, whether ESD, aRts (KDE), or
Pulseaudio, to just use audio apps. Most audio apps will use Alsa directly
without any sound server entering the equation. If you have audio apps that
are OSS based, you will need to install the package alsa-oss.

let's go back to Pulseaudio. On some distros it's installed as default, and
I've seen quite a few folks having problems with it. On Fedora, it's easy
enough to disable, by removing the package alsa-plugins-pulseaudio, then all
the audio apps use alsa directly. Debian based installs are different, and
that package does not exist. I've seen that the correct way is do the
following to get rid of pulseaudio from a debian install. I use apt, not
aptitude, so this is the apt-get command below.

apt-get remove pulseaudio --purge

Also open synaptic as root, and check to see if any pulseaudio stuff is still
installed. If there are any pulseaudio packages still installed, be carefull
about just going ahead and removing them, as some want to remove other
packages as deps, which may screw things up completely.

Also have a look in your home/user directory. You may find pulseaudio stuff
there. It's safe to just delete it. I only see one on my Ubuntu Intrepid 8.10
install. it's a hidden file named as .pulse. To show hidden files go to
"View" in the file browser, and check "Show Hidden Files".

I've just opened synaptic on my Lenny install, and checked to install
pulseaudio. I've not gone ahead with it, as I don't want pulseaudio, but this
is what synaptic is going to do. See below.

To be removed
esound

To be installed
gnome-audio
gstreamer0.10-pulseaudio
libasound2-plugins
libgconfmm-2.6-1c2
libglademm-2.4-1c2a
libpulse-browse0
libpulse-mainloop-glib0
libpulsecore5
padevchooser
paman
paprefs
pavucontrol
pavumeter
pulseaudio-esound-compat
pulseaudio-module-gconf
pulseaudio-module-hal
pulseaudio-module-x11
pulseaudio-module-zeroconf
pulseaudio-utils

It may be worth looking in synaptic to see if any of these packages are still
installed since you removed pulseaudio, and if so remove them. Also
re-install the esound package, although I'd disable it post install in Gnomes
sound settings.

Again. You should not need any specific sound servers to be installed to use
audio apps. All audio apps should be able to use Alsa directly. The exception
may may be audio apps that are OSS based, but installing the alsa-oss package
should handle those.

Of course you could always just reinstall Lenny, and start afresh, but I don't
like to suggest that, as it sounds too much like what is suggested when a
Windows install screws up.

Nigel.







--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Alex Samad 01-26-2009 10:24 PM

portaudio2/device busy?
 
On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 09:26:13PM +0100, Nigel Henry wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 17:21, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> > Nigel Henry wrote:
> > > I assume that you had installed pulseaudio at some time or other, to try
> > > it

[ big snip]

Hi

I would suggest that you need to update your /etc/asound.conf and
install a dmix device and point our apps to using that, it allows
multiple sounds apps to talk to the sounds device at the same time :)

>
> Nigel.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"These people don't have tanks. They don't have ships. They hide in caves. They send suiciders out."

- George W. Bush
11/01/2002
Portsmouth, NH
speaking about terrorists


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:40 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.