-   -   Possibly OT: Linux chat/desktop share client compatible with Windows NetMeeting? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/233638-possibly-ot-linux-chat-desktop-share-client-compatible-windows-netmeeting.html)

Ron Johnson 01-24-2009 04:06 AM

Possibly OT: Linux chat/desktop share client compatible with Windows NetMeeting?

On 01/23/2009 10:25 PM, Carl Fink wrote:

My company uses NetMeeting for a lot of collaboration between our quite
distant offices. It's free, it works quite well, and it doesn't use much
bandwidth for what it does. In order to use a Debian system when I work
from home, I would need three components to work:

1. Voice chat.
2. Text chat (used for passing URLs and such).
3. Desktop sharing.

Please don't suggest "Switch to something else." I don't decide that, the
company has standardized on NetMeeting and will be sticking with it.

A few years ago I would have thought such a replacement unlikely, but when
rdesktop is so incredibly good at imitating Microsoft's Remote Desktop and
samba does SMB *better* than MS operating systems, anything is possible.

So: any suggestions?

"apt-cache search NetMeeting" indicates ekiga. Don't know if it
does desktop sharing, though.

(I'd go with the Experimental version, since it's at 3.0.1-1, but
Sid is still back at 2.0.12-1+nmu1.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA