Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/233604-how-remove-automatically-installed-packages-when-nothing-depends-them.html)

Daniel Burrows 01-24-2009 12:56 AM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:42:30PM +0000, Countable Infinity <countableinfinity@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
>
> aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
>
> it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
>
> Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> nothing depends on them any more?

What does "aptitude why xfce4-terminal" print?

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Daniel Burrows 01-24-2009 04:14 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 05:56:47PM -0800, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> was heard to say:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:42:30PM +0000, Countable Infinity <countableinfinity@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> > libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
> >
> > aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
> >
> > it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
> >
> > Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> > nothing depends on them any more?
>
> What does "aptitude why xfce4-terminal" print?

Since everyone is ignoring this and talking about whether the Options
menu exists, let me try again:

I think "aptitude why xfce4-terminal" will probably tell you
something like this:

daniel@emurlahn:~$ aptitude why xfce4-terminal
i xorg Depends xterm | x-terminal-emulator
p xfce4-terminal Provides x-terminal-emulator

It won't be removed automatically because xorg depends on it. Does
that answer your question?

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Florian Kulzer 01-24-2009 10:14 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 22:41:46 +0000, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Saturday 24 January 2009 18:49:31 Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Sat January 24 2009 01:34:04 am Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > > On Friday 23 January 2009 21:22:40 Alan Ianson wrote:
> > > > On Fri January 23 2009 01:08:49 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
> > > > > On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > > > > > There is a setting in aptitude -> options -> preferences to remove
> > > > > > unused packages automatically. Is it switched on?
> > > > >
> > > > > Can't find any such thing. Could you please check your aptitude >
> > > > > options > preferences and confirm which option it is?
> > > >
> > > > It's under dependency handling.
> > > >
> > > > In aptitude press F10, then goto options, then in the preferences..
> > >
> > > In my version of aptitude (0.4.11.11), the list called up by F10 has
> > > no "options" to go to.
> > >
> > > ??
> >
> > That's the same version I have. There is no options over on the right a
> > bit?
>
> Sorry - PEBUAK. I meant that there is (or was :-( ) indeed an options both in
> the menu that is called up and on the toolbar. Both "options" also lead to
> preferences. But there is not an option to remove unused packages
> automatically. Indeed, F10 does remarkably little.

If you cannot find the option in the menu then you can check your
(root's) ~/.aptitude/config directly. The setting is called
"Aptitude::Delete-Unused" and it should default to "true" if it is not
set explicitly in that file (or in /etc/apt/apt.conf or in any of the
files in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/).

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Michael Wagner 01-27-2009 06:27 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
* Countable Infinity <countableinfinity@gmail.com> 23.01.2009
> When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
>
> aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
>
> it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
>
> Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> nothing depends on them any more?

Hello Countable Infinity (cool name ;-)

Try

aptitude --purge-unused purge xfce4-terminal

It's documented in the man page of aptitude.

Hth Michael

--
Stoners live and stoners die, But in the end we all get high;
So if in life you don't succeed, Fuck it all and smoke some weed.

Daniel Burrows 01-28-2009 04:20 AM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:27:13PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
> * Countable Infinity <countableinfinity@gmail.com> 23.01.2009
> > When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> > libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
> >
> > aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
> >
> > it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
> >
> > Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> > nothing depends on them any more?
>
> Hello Countable Infinity (cool name ;-)
>
> Try
>
> aptitude --purge-unused purge xfce4-terminal
>
> It's documented in the man page of aptitude.

All that does is cause programs which are already being removed
because they're unused to also be purged. It won't help if they
aren't being removed in the first place.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Michael Wagner 01-28-2009 03:06 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
* Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> 28.01.2009
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:27:13PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:

> > aptitude --purge-unused purge xfce4-terminal
> >
> > It's documented in the man page of aptitude.
>
> All that does is cause programs which are already being removed
> because they're unused to also be purged. It won't help if they
> aren't being removed in the first place.

From "man aptitude"

--purge-unused
Purge packages that are no longer required by any installed
package. This is equivalent to passing “-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true”
as a command-line argument.

English is not my first language and I understand the above that it
removes packages which are no more required. And this is what the OP
wants.

Michael

--
The only stupid question is the unasked question.
And that's a good thing, because I hate stupid questions!

Daniel Burrows 01-28-2009 04:23 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06:54PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
> * Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> 28.01.2009
> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:27:13PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
>
> > > aptitude --purge-unused purge xfce4-terminal
> > >
> > > It's documented in the man page of aptitude.
> >
> > All that does is cause programs which are already being removed
> > because they're unused to also be purged. It won't help if they
> > aren't being removed in the first place.
>
> From "man aptitude"
>
> --purge-unused
> Purge packages that are no longer required by any installed
> package. This is equivalent to passing “-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true”
> as a command-line argument.
>
> English is not my first language and I understand the above that it
> removes packages which are no more required. And this is what the OP
> wants.

The subtext of that statement is the assumption that you are aware
that aptitude always *removes* packages which are not required (unless
you have disabled that). Since you're the second person to make this
mistake, I probably need to fix that text in the manpage.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Richard Hector 01-28-2009 07:37 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 09:23 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06:54PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
> > From "man aptitude"
> >
> > --purge-unused
> > Purge packages that are no longer required by any installed
> > package. This is equivalent to passing “-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true”
> > as a command-line argument.
> >
> > English is not my first language and I understand the above that it
> > removes packages which are no more required. And this is what the OP
> > wants.
>
> The subtext of that statement is the assumption that you are aware
> that aptitude always *removes* packages which are not required (unless
> you have disabled that). Since you're the second person to make this
> mistake, I probably need to fix that text in the manpage.

Yep, I found that confusing too. What _I_ was looking for, though
(apologies for the thread hijack), was a way to say: "Don't remove those
unused packages at this time".

Is there an easy way to do that?

My context was that I needed to add a package to a machine that I'm not
the primary admin for, and didn't want to go removing (or
unmarking-auto) packages from a machine I don't fully understand the
purpose of.

Richard



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Daniel Burrows 01-29-2009 02:28 AM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:37:34AM +1300, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> was heard to say:
> Yep, I found that confusing too. What _I_ was looking for, though
> (apologies for the thread hijack), was a way to say: "Don't remove those
> unused packages at this time".
>
> Is there an easy way to do that?

$ aptitude -o Aptitude::Delete-Unused=false ...

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Richard Hector 01-31-2009 08:58 PM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?
 
On Wed, 2009-01-28 at 19:28 -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 09:37:34AM +1300, Richard Hector <richard@walnut.gen.nz> was heard to say:
> > Yep, I found that confusing too. What _I_ was looking for, though
> > (apologies for the thread hijack), was a way to say: "Don't remove those
> > unused packages at this time".
> >
> > Is there an easy way to do that?
>
> $ aptitude -o Aptitude::Delete-Unused=false ...

Cool, thanks for that. I must have missed that in the docs.

Thanks,

Richard



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:58 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.