-   -   automatic and static dhcp lease on same interface (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/233588-automatic-static-dhcp-lease-same-interface.html)

Felipe Gallois 01-24-2009 12:17 AM

automatic and static dhcp lease on same interface

Hello all,

I have a scenario where I need to use just one physical interface to make two subnets. So far so good.
I'm stuck in the following.
I need that of the subnets have static ip with the dhcp server (binding the mac addresses) and the other one automatically offer the IP addresses.

So, if the computer is 'known' to the server, it will give an IP and access to a subnet where some services are available, if not, the computer will fall to another subnet where it'll be only able to access the internet.

The static IP is not ultimatelly necessary, it was just something I thought to bind via mac address a computer known (reliable) to the subnet.

Is it possible to do something like that with the dhcp3 server?

If so, where can I find some docs about it? I googled a lot and just found the shared-networks stuff, but it will not solve my problem as is (or as far as I could grasp it ;)

I know some cisco routers can do the static/automatic stuff, but doing so with a computer would be better to me for now!

Thanks in advance

cheers
--
gallois
aka Felipe Gallois

Emanoil Kotsev 01-26-2009 06:54 PM

automatic and static dhcp lease on same interface

>> The static IP is not ultimatelly necessary, it was just something I
>> thought to bind via mac address a computer known (reliable) to the
>> subnet.
>>
>> Is it possible to do something like that with the dhcp3 server?
>> If so, where can I find some docs about it? I googled a lot and just
>> found the shared-networks stuff, but it will not solve my problem as is
>> (or as far as I could grasp it ;)
>>
>> I know some cisco routers can do the static/automatic stuff, but doing so
>> with a computer would be better to me for now!

Interestingly I'm tired of switching networks and configurations etc.etc, so
I tried configuring an eth alias last week when @ work and it seemed to
work, I'll test it next week. it seems to be the most easy way.

regards