Old 01-23-2009, 08:08 PM
Countable Infinity

Default How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Fri January 23 2009 12:42:30 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
>> When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
>> libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
>>
>> aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
>>
>> it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
>>
>> Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
>> nothing depends on them any more?
>
> There is a setting in aptitude -> options -> preferences to remove unused
> packages automatically. Is it switched on?

Can't find any such thing. Could you please check your aptitude >
options > preferences and confirm which option it is?

Old 02-02-2009, 01:17 PM
Aneurin Price

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 5:23 PM, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 05:06:54PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:
>> * Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> 28.01.2009
>> > On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 08:27:13PM +0100, Michael Wagner <michaeldebian@web.de> was heard to say:

>> > All that does is cause programs which are already being removed
>> > because they're unused to also be purged. It won't help if they
>> > aren't being removed in the first place.
>>
>> From "man aptitude"
>>
>> --purge-unused
>> Purge packages that are no longer required by any installed
>> package. This is equivalent to passing "-o Aptitude::Purge-Unused=true"
>> as a command-line argument.
>>
>> English is not my first language and I understand the above that it
>> removes packages which are no more required. And this is what the OP
>> wants.
>
> The subtext of that statement is the assumption that you are aware
> that aptitude always *removes* packages which are not required (unless
> you have disabled that). Since you're the second person to make this
> mistake, I probably need to fix that text in the manpage.

I've never noticed that option before, and it sounds *very nearly* like
exactly what I want. Is there a way to say that unneeded dependencies
should always be purged if I'm purging the package I'm manually
removing, but just removed as normal otherwise? Couldn't find anything
like that in the manpage at least.

Thanks,
Nye