-   -   How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them? (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/233495-how-remove-automatically-installed-packages-when-nothing-depends-them.html)

"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." 01-23-2009 08:08 PM

On Friday 2009 January 23 14:42:30 Countable Infinity wrote:
>When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
>libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
>
>aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
>
>it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
>
>Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
>nothing depends on them any more?

Aptitude should automatically do that. It's possible that it thinks these
packages are "manually" installed. To fix that:
aptitude markauto libxfce4mcs-manager3 libxfce4util4 $etc

If that doesn't suggest packages to be removed, perhaps those packages are
actually depended on. You might try:
aptitude search '~Rlibxfce4mcs-manager3'
to see what packages depend on libxfce4mcs-manager3, but the CUI for aptitude
will probably be more useful if you have to hunt down many dependencies.

Finally, you can always:
aptitude purge libxfce4mcs-manager3 libxfce4util4 $etc
and aptitude will inform you if other packages will need to be removed due to
missing dependencies.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Alan Ianson 01-23-2009 08:22 PM

On Fri January 23 2009 01:08:49 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > On Fri January 23 2009 12:42:30 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
> >> When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> >> libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
> >>
> >> aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
> >>
> >> it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> >> nothing depends on them any more?
> >
> > There is a setting in aptitude -> options -> preferences to remove unused
> > packages automatically. Is it switched on?
>
> Can't find any such thing. Could you please check your aptitude >
> options > preferences and confirm which option it is?

It's under dependency handling.

In aptitude press F10, then goto options, then in the preferences..

Lisi Reisz 01-24-2009 08:31 AM

On Friday 23 January 2009 21:08:49 Countable Infinity wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 9:02 PM, Alan Ianson <alianson@shaw.ca> wrote:
> > On Fri January 23 2009 12:42:30 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
> >> When I installed xfce4-terminal, it automatically installed
> >> libxfce4mcs-manager3, libxfce4util4, etc. But now if I do:
> >>
> >> aptitude purge xfce4-terminal
> >>
> >> it does not remove these libs that were installed automatically.
> >>
> >> Is there a way to remove these automatically installed packages when
> >> nothing depends on them any more?
> >
> > There is a setting in aptitude -> options -> preferences to remove unused
> > packages automatically. Is it switched on?
>
> Can't find any such thing.

+1

Lisi

Lisi Reisz 01-24-2009 08:34 AM

On Friday 23 January 2009 21:22:40 Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Fri January 23 2009 01:08:49 pm Countable Infinity wrote:

> > > There is a setting in aptitude -> options -> preferences to remove
> > > unused packages automatically. Is it switched on?
> >
> > Can't find any such thing. Could you please check your aptitude >
> > options > preferences and confirm which option it is?
>
> It's under dependency handling.
>
> In aptitude press F10, then goto options, then in the preferences..

In my version of aptitude (0.4.11.11), the list called up by F10 has
no "options" to go to.

??

Lisi

Thierry Chatelet 01-24-2009 08:45 AM

On Saturday 24 January 2009 03:36:13 Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
> Try deborphan or, better orphaner
>
> Nuno Magalh„es

Did not find orphaner. But I found gtkorphan.

"Andrew McGlashan" 01-24-2009 09:39 AM

How to remove automatically installed packages when nothing depends on them?

Hi,

Thierry Chatelet wrote:

Did not find orphaner. But I found gtkorphan.

I used deborphan, cleaned up nicely also with aptitude purge...

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Alan Ianson 01-24-2009 05:49 PM

On Sat January 24 2009 01:34:04 am Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Friday 23 January 2009 21:22:40 Alan Ianson wrote:

> > > Can't find any such thing. Could you please check your aptitude >
> > > options > preferences and confirm which option it is?
> >
> > It's under dependency handling.
> >
> > In aptitude press F10, then goto options, then in the preferences..
>
> In my version of aptitude (0.4.11.11), the list called up by F10 has
> no "options" to go to.
>
> ??

That's the same version I have. There is no options over on the right a bit?

Lisi Reisz 01-24-2009 09:41 PM

On Saturday 24 January 2009 18:49:31 Alan Ianson wrote:
> On Sat January 24 2009 01:34:04 am Lisi Reisz wrote:

> > > It's under dependency handling.
> > >
> > > In aptitude press F10, then goto options, then in the preferences..
> >
> > In my version of aptitude (0.4.11.11), the list called up by F10 has
> > no "options" to go to.
> >
> > ??
>
> That's the same version I have. There is no options over on the right a
> bit?

Sorry - PEBUAK. I meant that there is (or was :-( ) indeed an options both in
the menu that is called up and on the toolbar. Both "options" also lead to
preferences. But there is not an option to remove unused packages
automatically. Indeed, F10 does remarkably little.

Lisi

John Hasler 01-28-2009 07:57 PM

Richard writes:
> My context was that I needed to add a package to a machine that I'm not
> the primary admin for, and didn't want to go removing (or unmarking-auto)
> packages from a machine I don't fully understand the purpose of.

Why not just 'apt-get install <package>'?
--
John Hasler