Old 01-23-2009, 07:44 PM
Countable Infinity

Default 'who am i' command does not produce output in 'mrxvt'

'who am i' produces the following output in gnome-terminal:

humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
humpty pts/2 2009-01-24 02:12 (:0.0)

However, in mrxvt, it does not produce any output.

humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
humpty@nifty:~$

What could be the reason for this? Is this a bug?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:48 PM
Steve Kemp

On Fri Jan 23, 2009 at 20:44:42 +0000, Countable Infinity wrote:

> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty pts/2 2009-01-24 02:12 (:0.0)
>
> However, in mrxvt, it does not produce any output.
>
> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty@nifty:~$
>
> What could be the reason for this? Is this a bug?

Probably means that mrxvt doesn't create/record an entry in
the wtmp database when a new session is started.

Its not a bug as such, just an omission. I guess if you
run "ssh localhost" you'd suddenly see yourself listed.

Steve
--
Managed Anti-Spam Service
http://mail-scanning.com/

Old 01-23-2009, 07:51 PM
Frank McCormick

Old 01-23-2009, 07:52 PM
subscriptions

On Fri, 2009-01-23 at 21:44 +0100, Countable Infinity wrote:
> 'who am i' produces the following output in gnome-terminal:
>
> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty pts/2 2009-01-24 02:12 (:0.0)
>
> However, in mrxvt, it does not produce any output.
>
> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty@nifty:~$
>
> What could be the reason for this? Is this a bug?

You did the command 'who' with parameters 'am' and 'i'.

The command you are looking for is 'whoami'.

Best,

Rob

Old 01-23-2009, 07:53 PM
Countable Infinity

Yes. I am executing the 'who am i' command (not 'whoami' command). So,
yes, I am putting space between them.

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 8:51 PM, Frank McCormick

Old 01-23-2009, 07:55 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 08:44:42PM +0000, Countable Infinity wrote:
> 'who am i' produces the following output in gnome-terminal:
>
> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty pts/2 2009-01-24 02:12 (:0.0)
>
> However, in mrxvt, it does not produce any output.
>
> humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
> humpty@nifty:~$
>
> What could be the reason for this? Is this a bug?

No utmp entry?

xterm is setuid root, and 'who mom likes' works there. mlterm is not and
'who -m' prints nothing.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 01-23-2009, 07:56 PM
Countable Infinity

No,I am looking for the command 'who' with two arguments. The command
'whoami' prints only the user name. However, I want the tty and the
time stamp too. As per the man page of 'who':

"If ARG1 ARG2 given, -m presumed: 'am i' or 'mom likes' are usual."

"-m only hostname and user associated with stdin"

So, 'who am i' is what I need. However, my question was a little
different. When 'who am i' is producing output in gnome-terminal, why
isn't it doing so in 'mrxvt' ?

Old 01-23-2009, 07:59 PM
Countable Infinity

How can I check for utmp entry?

Also, if the UTMP entry doesn't exist why does it work in
gnome-terminal and while logging in through tty1, tty2, etc.?

Old 01-23-2009, 08:00 PM
Ron Johnson

'who am i' produces the following output in gnome-terminal:

humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
humpty pts/2 2009-01-24 02:12 (:0.0)

However, in mrxvt, it does not produce any output.

humpty@nifty:~$ who am i
humpty@nifty:~$

What could be the reason for this? Is this a bug?

You did the command 'who' with parameters 'am' and 'i'.

The command you are looking for is 'whoami'.

Pay closer attention:

GNOME TERMINAL:
$ who am i
me pts/3 2009-01-23 14:58 (:0.0)
$ whoami
me

RXVT:
$ who am i
$ whoami
me

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-23-2009, 08:07 PM
Alan Ianson

On Fri January 23 2009 12:56:49 pm Countable Infinity wrote:
> No,I am looking for the command 'who' with two arguments. The command
> 'whoami' prints only the user name. However, I want the tty and the
> time stamp too. As per the man page of 'who':
>
> "If ARG1 ARG2 given, -m presumed: 'am i' or 'mom likes' are usual."
>
> "-m only hostname and user associated with stdin"
>
> So, 'who am i' is what I need. However, my question was a little
> different. When 'who am i' is producing output in gnome-terminal, why
> isn't it doing so in 'mrxvt' ?

konsole also gives nothing.. I dunno why.