Old 01-23-2009, 01:33 PM
Brad Rogers

Default dialing modem as normal user

On Fri, 23 Jan 2009 22:21:16 +0800
Umarzuki Mochlis <umarzuki@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Umarzuki,

> How do i give permission to normal user to dial my 3g modem since
> wvdial can only be invoked by root. correct me if I'm wrong.

Make sure user is a member of the group "dip" and (possibly) "dialout".

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Only the wounded remain, the generals have all left the game
Generals - The Damned

Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Ron Johnson

On 01/23/2009 08:21 AM, Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
How do i give permission to normal user to dial my 3g modem since wvdial
can only be invoked by root. correct me if I'm wrong.

What group owns the relevant serial port?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-23-2009, 01:47 PM
Umarzuki Mochlis

2009/1/23 Eugene V. Lyubimkin <jackyf.devel@gmail.com>

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:

> How do i give permission to normal user to dial my 3g modem since wvdial can

> only be invoked by root. correct me if I'm wrong.

Add yourself to 'dip' group
thanks for the info, I'll try that out.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Umarzuki Mochlis
http://gameornot.net

Old 01-23-2009, 01:53 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
> How do i give permission to normal user to dial my 3g modem since wvdial can
> only be invoked by root. correct me if I'm wrong.

Add yourself to 'dip' group?

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-23-2009, 02:15 PM
Michael Shuler

On 01/23/2009 08:53 AM, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Umarzuki Mochlis wrote:
>> How do i give permission to normal user to dial my 3g modem since wvdial can
>> only be invoked by root. correct me if I'm wrong.

Incorrect - 'ls -l /usr/bin/wvdial' - exec by all.

> Add yourself to 'dip' group?

Correct, but just to help the OP understand why this works - wvdial is
executable by all, but it's just a wrapper around pppd. pppd is setuid
root and executable by the 'dip' group - 'ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd'

--
Kind Regards,
Michael Shuler

Old 01-23-2009, 02:46 PM
Peter Crawford

> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:15:37 -0600
> From: michael@pbandjelly.org
> Subject: Re: dialing modem as normal user
> ... executable by the 'dip' group - 'ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd'

For sake of interest, does anyone know the etymology
of dip?
... p. crawford

Old 01-23-2009, 03:14 PM
"Eugene V. Lyubimkin"

Peter Crawford wrote:
>> Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2009 09:15:37 -0600
>> From: michael@pbandjelly.org
>> Subject: Re: dialing modem as normal user
>> ... executable by the 'dip' group - 'ls -l /usr/sbin/pppd'
>
> For sake of interest, does anyone know the etymology
> of dip?
Dynamic IP? DIal-uP?

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian Maintainer, APT contributor

Old 01-26-2009, 04:29 AM
Dave Thayer

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 06:14:16PM +0200, Eugene V. Lyubimkin wrote:
> Peter Crawford wrote:
> > For sake of interest, does anyone know the etymology
> > of dip?
> Dynamic IP? DIal-uP?

Close, from an archived manpage at <http://www.rt.com/man/dip.8.html>:

NAME
dip - handle dialup IP connections

I'm not sure how long ago dip disappeared from Debian, the manpage is
dated 1995.

Cheers,

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to