FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Deephay
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

Greetings all,

I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet
connection, everythings seems OK, but if you tried to ping the
cellphone from the laptop, ARP requests will not get any answer:

# ifconfig br0
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:d3:f5:85:9f
inet addr:192.168.10.1 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5729 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7999 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:3693622 (3.5 MiB) TX bytes:1154223 (1.1 MiB)


# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.0016d3f5859f no eth0
wlan0
tcpdump will show the ARP request message again and again, this
behavior is different from MS Windows bridging. Could anyone tell me
why?

Deephay


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-25-2009, 04:03 AM
Wayne Topa
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

Deephay wrote:

Greetings all,

I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet
connection, everythings seems OK, but if you tried to ping the
cellphone from the laptop, ARP requests will not get any answer:

# ifconfig br0
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:d3:f5:85:9f
inet addr:192.168.10.1 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5729 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7999 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:3693622 (3.5 MiB) TX bytes:1154223 (1.1 MiB)


# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.0016d3f5859f no eth0
wlan0
tcpdump will show the ARP request message again and again, this
behavior is different from MS Windows bridging. Could anyone tell me
why?


How did you set up the bridge? Show us your interfaces file.

WT


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-26-2009, 10:36 PM
Alex Samad
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03:47AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
> Deephay wrote:
>> Greetings all,
>>
>> I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
>> and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet

I don't think bridging of wireless and ethernet works, why not just
route the packets! use iptables to setup nat if you need



>> connection, everythings seems OK, but if you tried to ping the
>> cellphone from the laptop, ARP requests will not get any answer:
>>
>> # ifconfig br0
>> br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:d3:f5:85:9f
>> inet addr:192.168.10.1 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
>> UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
>> RX packets:5729 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>> TX packets:7999 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>> collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
>> RX bytes:3693622 (3.5 MiB) TX bytes:1154223 (1.1 MiB)
>>
>>
>> # brctl show
>> bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
>> br0 8000.0016d3f5859f no eth0
>> wlan0
>> tcpdump will show the ARP request message again and again, this
>> behavior is different from MS Windows bridging. Could anyone tell me
>> why?
>
> How did you set up the bridge? Show us your interfaces file.
>
> WT
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

- George W. Bush
08/05/2004
Washington, DC
 
Old 01-27-2009, 05:44 AM
Jerome BENOIT
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

Hello List !

Alex Samad wrote:

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03:47AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:

Deephay wrote:

Greetings all,

I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet


I don't think bridging of wireless and ethernet works, why not just
route the packets! use iptables to setup nat if you need




Indeed bridging with wireless is not a good idea: I experienced it !
Nevertheless, I have not yet understand in detail the suggested alternative:
is there an howto somewhere about it ?

Thanks in advance,
Jerome




connection, everythings seems OK, but if you tried to ping the
cellphone from the laptop, ARP requests will not get any answer:

# ifconfig br0
br0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 00:16:d3:f5:85:9f
inet addr:192.168.10.1 Bcast:192.168.10.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
RX packets:5729 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:7999 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
RX bytes:3693622 (3.5 MiB) TX bytes:1154223 (1.1 MiB)


# brctl show
bridge name bridge id STP enabled interfaces
br0 8000.0016d3f5859f no eth0
wlan0
tcpdump will show the ARP request message again and again, this
behavior is different from MS Windows bridging. Could anyone tell me
why?

How did you set up the bridge? Show us your interfaces file.

WT


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org







--
Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-28-2009, 05:01 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:44:42PM +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
> Hello List !
>
> Alex Samad wrote:
>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03:47AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>> Deephay wrote:
>>>> Greetings all,
>>>>
>>>> I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
>>>> and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet
>>
>> I don't think bridging of wireless and ethernet works, why not just
>> route the packets! use iptables to setup nat if you need
>>
>>
>
> Indeed bridging with wireless is not a good idea: I experienced it !
> Nevertheless, I have not yet understand in detail the suggested alternative:
> is there an howto somewhere about it ?

its just 2 networks and if the default gateway doesn't have a route back
to the wireless then you need NAT (from iptables)

have a google for linux routing

>
> Thanks in advance,
> Jerome
>
>>

[snip]

>

--
"You know, when I was one time campaigning in Chicago, a reporter said, 'Would you ever have a deficit?' I said, 'I can't imagine it, but there would be one if we had a war, or a national emergency, or a recession.' Never did I dream we'd get the trifecta."

- George W. Bush
06/14/2002
Houston, TX
 
Old 01-28-2009, 06:11 AM
Deephay
 
Default wlan0 eth0 bridging problem

On Wed, Jan 28, 2009 at 2:01 PM, Alex Samad <alex@samad.com.au> wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:44:42PM +0800, Jerome BENOIT wrote:
>> Hello List !
>>
>> Alex Samad wrote:
>>> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 12:03:47AM -0500, Wayne Topa wrote:
>>>> Deephay wrote:
>>>>> Greetings all,
>>>>>
>>>>> I have two NICs on my laptop: eth0 and wlan0, I tried to bridge them
>>>>> and use a ad-hoc connection with my cellphone to share the internet
>>>
>>> I don't think bridging of wireless and ethernet works, why not just
>>> route the packets! use iptables to setup nat if you need
>>>
>>>
>>
>> Indeed bridging with wireless is not a good idea: I experienced it !
>> Nevertheless, I have not yet understand in detail the suggested alternative:
>> is there an howto somewhere about it ?
>
> its just 2 networks and if the default gateway doesn't have a route back
> to the wireless then you need NAT (from iptables)
>
> have a google for linux routing

normal iptables NAT won't do in this case, the gateway machine is
gonna ask the MAC address of the remote Ad-Hoc device through eth0,
which won't get an anwser at all, that is why I need a damn bridge.
But finally I found the solution, layer 3 ARP bridge: parprouted.

I just do not understand why a 2009 linux box won't do a 2001 win XP
job (wired - wireless bridge).

>
>>
>> Thanks in advance,
>> Jerome
>>
>>>
>
> [snip]
>
>>
>
> --
> "You know, when I was one time campaigning in Chicago, a reporter said, 'Would you ever have a deficit?' I said, 'I can't imagine it, but there would be one if we had a war, or a national emergency, or a recession.' Never did I dream we'd get the trifecta."
>
> - George W. Bush
> 06/14/2002
> Houston, TX
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iEYEARECAAYFAkl/9M8ACgkQkZz88chpJ2NryACeOofXKahmfLXZry2n2sVVHtw5
> am4AoI7S6AY+DaOa7EuSp9DR05WOhB7r
> =koI6
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org