Old 01-22-2009, 07:43 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Need Help with Display in Chroot

Following Debian Reference 8.6.35.1-3 I have created a directory
/sid-32bit, used debootstrap to populate it with sid i386, modified
inittab to make F8 open a console for the chroot and added "do
s/vt7/vt9" in the [servers] section of gdm.conf.

Problem #1. Only one display can run at a time. That is, to run the
chroot display (F8, /etc/init.d/gdm start) I must first stop the main
display (F1, /etc/init.d/gdm stop) so it is not posible to toggle
between the main display (F7) and the chroot display (F9).

Problem #2. If I have the chroot display running (F9) and toggle to the
chroot console (F8) the display crashes and must be restarted.

Problem #3. There are some problems with the chroot display. Iceape
runs and the web is accessable but any attempt to start a terminal
window fails (does nothing) although xterm is install.

Perhaps there is a better place to ask these questions?

I have done a number of google searches and found, for example, an article "Schroot - chroot for any users" in debian-administration.org which is very helpful
but dated 27 Nov 2007 but the command xhost + reports it cannot find any
displays.

Does any one know of a site that ties everything about the chroot and
displays together?

Tom

Old 01-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Stefan Monnier

> Following Debian Reference 8.6.35.1-3 I have created a directory
> /sid-32bit, used debootstrap to populate it with sid i386, modified
> inittab to make F8 open a console for the chroot and added "do
> s/vt7/vt9" in the [servers] section of gdm.conf.

How are your chroot's /sys, /proc, and /dev trees populated?
The best is probably to "mount -t bind /foo /sid-32bit/foo" them.

> Problem #1. Only one display can run at a time. That is, to run the
> chroot display (F8, /etc/init.d/gdm start) I must first stop the main
> display (F1, /etc/init.d/gdm stop) so it is not posible to toggle
> between the main display (F7) and the chroot display (F9).

Could it just be something like the fact that both displays try to
use :0 ? I'd guess not since nowadays X servers typically don't open up
any TCP port anymore but only use a Unix socket in /tmp, so there
shouldn't be any conflict. But you may want to try it anyway.

> Problem #2. If I have the chroot display running (F9) and toggle to the
> chroot console (F8) the display crashes and must be restarted.

Sounds like a bug ;-)

> Problem #3. There are some problems with the chroot display. Iceape
> runs and the web is accessable but any attempt to start a terminal
> window fails (does nothing) although xterm is install.

Try and find some way to get the stderr output, or even run your xterm
under strace to see where it fails.

> Perhaps there is a better place to ask these questions?

Maybe some xorg mailing-list like gmane.comp.freedesktop.xorg would come
up with good suggestions.

Stefan

Old 01-24-2009, 01:53 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 05:15:40PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > Following Debian Reference 8.6.35.1-3 I have created a directory
> > /sid-32bit, used debootstrap to populate it with sid i386, modified
> > inittab to make F8 open a console for the chroot and added "do
> > s/vt7/vt9" in the [servers] section of gdm.conf.
>
> How are your chroot's /sys, /proc, and /dev trees populated?
> The best is probably to "mount -t bind /foo /sid-32bit/foo" them.

Or, use schroot to set up the environment on-the-fly. It worked for me
like a charm when I needed an i386 Etch chroot when I ran amd64.

Doug.

Old 01-24-2009, 04:09 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 09:53:45AM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 05:15:40PM -0500, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > > Following Debian Reference 8.6.35.1-3

Please install lnny version of DR. The latest is also available at:

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html

> I have created a directory
> > > /sid-32bit, used debootstrap to populate it with sid i386, modified
> > > inittab to make F8 open a console for the chroot and added "do
> > > s/vt7/vt9" in the [servers] section of gdm.conf.
> >
> > How are your chroot's /sys, /proc, and /dev trees populated?
> > The best is probably to "mount -t bind /foo /sid-32bit/foo" them.
>
> Or, use schroot to set up the environment on-the-fly. It worked for me
> like a charm when I needed an i386 Etch chroot when I ran amd64.

If you have specific update suggestion, let me know.

In http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot
I have:

For serious chroot setup with the detail configuration, please consider
to use the specialized schroot package.

Old 01-24-2009, 09:31 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 02:09:14AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> Please install lnny version of DR. The latest is also available at:
>
> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html
>
> > I have created a directory
> > >
> > > How are your chroot's /sys, /proc, and /dev trees populated?
> > > The best is probably to "mount -t bind /foo /sid-32bit/foo" them.
> >
> > Or, use schroot to set up the environment on-the-fly. It worked for me
> > like a charm when I needed an i386 Etch chroot when I ran amd64.
>
> If you have specific update suggestion, let me know.
>
> In http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot
> I have:
>
> For serious chroot setup with the detail configuration, please consider
> to use the specialized schroot package.

None of this solved my problems. The Debian Reference Manual helped in
other regards but the chroot section is identical with the one I used.
I did, in fact, use schroot - that is instructions I found had me edit
/etc/schroot/schroot.conf and then proceed exactly as the instructions
for chroot. As far as I can understand them the schroot instructions
indicate that the procedure makes it possible to have multiple chroots
on the same system. Perhaps I have not found the best references.

Tom

Old 01-25-2009, 10:43 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 05:31:14PM -0500, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 02:09:14AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> >
> > Please install lnny version of DR. The latest is also available at:
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/index.en.html
> >
> > > I have created a directory

> > > Or, use schroot to set up the environment on-the-fly. It worked for me
> > > like a charm when I needed an i386 Etch chroot when I ran amd64.
> >
> > If you have specific update suggestion, let me know.
> >
> > In http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch10.en.html#thechroot
> > I have:
> >
> > For serious chroot setup with the detail configuration, please consider
> > to use the specialized schroot package.
> >
> None of this solved my problems. The Debian Reference Manual helped in
> other regards but the chroot section is identical with the one I used.
> I did, in fact, use schroot - that is instructions I found had me edit
> /etc/schroot/schroot.conf and then proceed exactly as the instructions
> for chroot. As far as I can understand them the schroot instructions
> indicate that the procedure makes it possible to have multiple chroots
> on the same system. Perhaps I have not found the best references.

This cheroot is for same arch. You are doing fancy chroot.