Old 01-22-2009, 05:49 PM
Bernard

Default C compiler cannot create executables (Ubuntu 8.04)

Hi to Everyone,

With Debian (and Ubuntu as well), implementation of new software by
means of ready-to-install packages, is a most convenient feature.
However, time comes when a package is not available, and then it becomes
worthwhile to try a basic compile of a generic package, usually
available as a tar.gz file. It recently happened to me with the
'Lifelines' package : the version available for Debian Sarge was buggy,
the newer version without this bug was not available on the debian
databases. I downloaded a generic (tarball ?) and compiled it, which
worked OK.

Now, the same problem occurs with my new DELL laptop with
factory-installed Ubuntu 8.04. So, I headed for the same install of the
Lifelines software. However, it failed to work here. In the appropriate
directory, I first typed './configure'. Things seemed to start
all-right, but after a short while it said : "C compiler cannot create
executables"

What do I miss so that I get such a reply ?

I also get this : "see config.log for more details". So, I made this
logfile available on

http://www.teaser.fr/~bdebreil/config.log

Amongst other things, it says that I have gcc 4.2.3...

Thanks to anyone who will take a look and tell me what is wrong. I could
try to find another Ubuntu package that would install without need to
recompile, but it won't work, since there was another bug in the
Lifelines program, that was corrected for me by the author of the
program : he sent me a patch that I had to apply to a indiseq.c
sourcefile, and then recompile it all... It did work on Debian Sarge on
my desktop, it wont on my laptop if the c compiler cannot create
executables !

Thanks in advance for any help

Old 01-22-2009, 05:57 PM
Jeff D

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009, Bernard wrote:

> However, it failed to work here. In the appropriate directory, I first typed
> './configure'. Things seemed to start all-right, but after a short while it
> said : "C compiler cannot create executables"
>
> What do I miss so that I get such a reply ?
>
> I also get this : "see config.log for more details". So, I made this logfile
> available on
>
> Thanks in advance for any help

have you installed the build-essential package? That should install
everything you need to compile

--
8 out of 10 Owners who Expressed a Preference said Their Cats Preferred Techno.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:01 PM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 19:49:10 +0100, Bernard (bdebreil@teaser.fr) wrote:

> Hi to Everyone,
>
> With Debian (and Ubuntu as well), implementation of new software by
> means of ready-to-install packages, is a most convenient feature.
> However, time comes when a package is not available, and then it becomes
> worthwhile to try a basic compile of a generic package, usually
> available as a tar.gz file. It recently happened to me with the
> 'Lifelines' package : the version available for Debian Sarge was buggy,
> the newer version without this bug was not available on the debian
> databases.

Is the lenny/sid version new enough?

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=lifelines

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.