Old 01-22-2009, 03:07 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Default Scim does not work with openoffice

Hi.

Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
works fine with gedit, just with the command

$ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

. Any help very much appreciated.

Rodolfo

Old 01-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Joel Roth

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 04:07:37PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
> works fine with gedit, just with the command
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

> . Any help very much appreciated.

Sounds like you're close.
FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.

My environment includes

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
LANG=ja_JP.utf8

I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
to install the necessary fonts.

If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.

Hope this helps,

Joel

> Rodolfo

Joel Roth

Old 01-23-2009, 06:46 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:

> Sounds like you're close.
> FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.
>
> My environment includes
>
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>
> I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
> to install the necessary fonts.
>
> If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
> mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.

Thanks for your reply. I posted on the Scim mailing list but got no reply.
Please, how do you launch Openoffice? Do you do

$ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" openoffice

? Or maybe you start scim with `$ scim' and then in another terminal you
launch Openoffice with `$ openoffice'?

Thanks, cheers
Rodolfo

Old 01-24-2009, 02:38 AM
Joel Roth

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:46:18PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 04:07:37PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
> >> works fine with gedit, just with the command
> >>
> >> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
> >
> >> . Any help very much appreciated.
>

> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Sounds like you're close.
> > FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.
> >
> > My environment includes
> >
> > GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> > LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> > LANG=ja_JP.utf8
> >
> > I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
> > to install the necessary fonts.
> >
> > If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
> > mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.
>

> Thanks for your reply. I posted on the Scim mailing list but got no reply.
> Please, how do you launch Openoffice? Do you do
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" openoffice
>
> ? Or maybe you start scim with `$ scim' and then in another terminal you
> launch Openoffice with `$ openoffice'?
>
> Thanks, cheers
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo,

Since we are talking about Debian, first you need to make
sure you have the correct packages installed.

Here is what I have.

ii libscim8c2a 1.4.7-3 library for SCIM platform
ii scim 1.4.7-3 smart common input method platform
ii scim-anthy 1.2.4-1.1 SCIM IMEngine module for Anthy
ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.7-3 GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backend
ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.7-3 socket modules for SCIM platform

Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .

I have these settings:

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
export LANG=ja_JP.utf8

Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
you should type the command

$ env

and confirm that your environment is as it should be.

Then starting openoffice is just:

$ openoffice

Hope this helps,

Joel

Joel Roth

Old 01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:

> Rodolfo,
>
> Since we are talking about Debian, first you need to make
> sure you have the correct packages installed.
>
> Here is what I have.
>
> ii libscim8c2a 1.4.7-3 library for SCIM platform
> ii scim 1.4.7-3 smart common input method platform
> ii scim-anthy 1.2.4-1.1 SCIM IMEngine module for Anthy
> ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.7-3 GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backend
> ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.7-3 socket modules for SCIM platform
>
> Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
> These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .
>
> I have these settings:
>
> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>
> Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
> you should type the command
>
> $ env
>
> and confirm that your environment is as it should be.
>
> Then starting openoffice is just:
>
> $ openoffice
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Joel

Thanks indeed for your indications.

But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there, even also
nothing, then X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting.

Rodolfo

Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> I have always had problems with OpenOffice. [...] But the solution was to
> use another Word Processor, e.g. KWord. I am sure there are others that
> would work fine. You say that it works in Gedit.
>
> I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
> as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.
>
> [...]
>
> Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
> install and to use. When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
> see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.

Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when I
do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.

Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
granddaughter does.

Bye
Rodolfo

Old 01-26-2009, 07:31 AM
Joel Roth

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 07:17:23PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:
> > Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
> > These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .

> > I have these settings:
> >
> > export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> > export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> > export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> > export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> > export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
> >
> > Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
> > you should type the command
> >
> > $ env
> >
> > and confirm that your environment is as it should be.
> >
> > Then starting openoffice is just:
> >
> > $ openoffice
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Joel
>

> Thanks indeed for your indications.
>
> But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there, even also
> nothing, then X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting.
>
> Rodolfo

Okay, my bad. I did'nt even know about xessionsrc.

Nor did I explain that .xsession is supposed to start
a window manager.

I guess advice on this list (at least from me) is worth
every penny you pay for it.

Good luck Rodolfo.

--
Joel Roth

Old 01-27-2009, 02:53 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:30:24PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

It works fine with everything here. OO can print Japanese nicely (with non-free Cmap data)
Use scim-anthy package as I explained and gave pointer.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#anexampleforjapanese

For the detail of setup, see /usr/share/doc/im-switch/README.Debian.gz,
/usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz or /usr/share/doc/uim/README.Debian.gz.
Here key points are described.

Just because some software worked with your method does not make your method
works everywhere.

Old 01-27-2009, 03:35 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:30:24 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

Certainly. She - and her computer - will be home at the weekend.

Lisi

Old 01-27-2009, 03:38 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 15:53:37 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Just because some software worked with your method does not make your
> method works everywhere.

I was very careful to say, not that it was a universal solution, but a) that
it had worked for me and b) that I had not so far got it going in Debian,
tho' I hadn't yet tried very hard.

Lisi