-   -   Scim does not work with openoffice (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/232462-scim-does-not-work-openoffice.html)

Rodolfo Medina 01-22-2009 03:07 PM

Scim does not work with openoffice

Hi.

Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
works fine with gedit, just with the command

$ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

. Any help very much appreciated.

Rodolfo

Joel Roth 01-23-2009 09:33 AM

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 04:07:37PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
> works fine with gedit, just with the command
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit

> . Any help very much appreciated.

Sounds like you're close.
FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.

My environment includes

GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
LANG=ja_JP.utf8

I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
to install the necessary fonts.

If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.

Hope this helps,

Joel

> Rodolfo

Joel Roth

Rodolfo Medina 01-23-2009 06:46 PM

Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:

> Sounds like you're close.
> FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.
>
> My environment includes
>
> GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>
> I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
> to install the necessary fonts.
>
> If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
> mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.

Thanks for your reply. I posted on the Scim mailing list but got no reply.
Please, how do you launch Openoffice? Do you do

$ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" openoffice

? Or maybe you start scim with `$ scim' and then in another terminal you
launch Openoffice with `$ openoffice'?

Thanks, cheers
Rodolfo

Joel Roth 01-24-2009 02:38 AM

On Fri, Jan 23, 2009 at 07:46:18PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 04:07:37PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
> >> works fine with gedit, just with the command
> >>
> >> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
> >
> >> . Any help very much appreciated.
>

> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:
>
> > Sounds like you're close.
> > FWIW, I just typed some Japanese using SCIM/anthy into Openoffice.
> >
> > My environment includes
> >
> > GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
> > LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> > LANG=ja_JP.utf8
> >
> > I was stymied in my new system because I'd forgotten
> > to install the necessary fonts.
> >
> > If you can't figure it out, I'd suggest posting on the Scim
> > mailing list, a very helpful group in my experience.
>

> Thanks for your reply. I posted on the Scim mailing list but got no reply.
> Please, how do you launch Openoffice? Do you do
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" openoffice
>
> ? Or maybe you start scim with `$ scim' and then in another terminal you
> launch Openoffice with `$ openoffice'?
>
> Thanks, cheers
> Rodolfo

Rodolfo,

Since we are talking about Debian, first you need to make
sure you have the correct packages installed.

Here is what I have.

ii libscim8c2a 1.4.7-3 library for SCIM platform
ii scim 1.4.7-3 smart common input method platform
ii scim-anthy 1.2.4-1.1 SCIM IMEngine module for Anthy
ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.7-3 GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backend
ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.7-3 socket modules for SCIM platform

Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .

I have these settings:

export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
export LANG=ja_JP.utf8

Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
you should type the command

$ env

and confirm that your environment is as it should be.

Then starting openoffice is just:

$ openoffice

Hope this helps,

Joel

Joel Roth

Rodolfo Medina 01-24-2009 06:17 PM

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:

> Rodolfo,
>
> Since we are talking about Debian, first you need to make
> sure you have the correct packages installed.
>
> Here is what I have.
>
> ii libscim8c2a 1.4.7-3 library for SCIM platform
> ii scim 1.4.7-3 smart common input method platform
> ii scim-anthy 1.2.4-1.1 SCIM IMEngine module for Anthy
> ii scim-gtk2-immodule 1.4.7-3 GTK+2 input method module with SCIM as backend
> ii scim-modules-socket 1.4.7-3 socket modules for SCIM platform
>
> Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
> These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .
>
> I have these settings:
>
> export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
>
> Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
> you should type the command
>
> $ env
>
> and confirm that your environment is as it should be.
>
> Then starting openoffice is just:
>
> $ openoffice
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Joel

Thanks indeed for your indications.

But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there, even also
nothing, then X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting.

Rodolfo

Rodolfo Medina 01-25-2009 07:30 PM

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> I have always had problems with OpenOffice. [...] But the solution was to
> use another Word Processor, e.g. KWord. I am sure there are others that
> would work fine. You say that it works in Gedit.
>
> I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
> as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.
>
> [...]
>
> Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
> install and to use. When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
> see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.

Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when I
do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.

Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
granddaughter does.

Bye
Rodolfo

Joel Roth 01-26-2009 07:31 AM

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 07:17:23PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Joel Roth <joelz@pobox.com> writes:
> > Second, you have to have the correct locale and environment settings.
> > These are best set in $HOME/.xsession .

> > I have these settings:
> >
> > export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
> > export GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> > export QT_IM_MODULE="scim"
> > export LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.utf8
> > export LANG=ja_JP.utf8
> >
> > Then when you start X, and you start a terminal,
> > you should type the command
> >
> > $ env
> >
> > and confirm that your environment is as it should be.
> >
> > Then starting openoffice is just:
> >
> > $ openoffice
> >
> > Hope this helps,
> >
> > Joel
>

> Thanks indeed for your indications.
>
> But when I create a file named .xsession, whatever I put in there, even also
> nothing, then X doesn't manage to start: it crashes when starting.
>
> Rodolfo

Okay, my bad. I did'nt even know about xessionsrc.

Nor did I explain that .xsession is supposed to start
a window manager.

I guess advice on this list (at least from me) is worth
every penny you pay for it.

Good luck Rodolfo.

--
Joel Roth

Osamu Aoki 01-27-2009 02:53 PM

Scim does not work with openoffice

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 25, 2009 at 08:30:24PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

It works fine with everything here. OO can print Japanese nicely (with non-free Cmap data)
Use scim-anthy package as I explained and gave pointer.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch09.en.html#anexampleforjapanese

For the detail of setup, see /usr/share/doc/im-switch/README.Debian.gz,
/usr/share/doc/scim/README.Debian.gz or /usr/share/doc/uim/README.Debian.gz.
Here key points are described.

Just because some software worked with your method does not make your method
works everywhere.

Lisi Reisz 01-27-2009 03:35 PM

On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:30:24 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

Certainly. She - and her computer - will be home at the weekend.

Lisi

Lisi Reisz 01-27-2009 03:38 PM

On Tuesday 27 January 2009 15:53:37 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Just because some software worked with your method does not make your
> method works everywhere.

I was very careful to say, not that it was a universal solution, but a) that
it had worked for me and b) that I had not so far got it going in Debian,
tho' I hadn't yet tried very hard.

Lisi