Old 01-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Lisi Reisz

Default Scim does not work with openoffice

On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:30:24 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >> But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
> >> sister, she speaks Chinese and
> >> needs writing chinese characters.
> >>
> >> With gedit, she simply does:
> >>
> >> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
> >>
> >> , but this does not work with openoffice. Can you suggest how to
> >> achieve it?
> >> She needs word processor features.
>
> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
> > I have always had problems with OpenOffice. [...] But the solution was
> > to use another Word Processor, e.g. KWord. I am sure there are others
> > that would work fine. You say that it works in Gedit.
> >
> > I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE),
> > but as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for
> > her.
> >
> > [...]
> >
> > Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy
> > both to install and to use. When she and her computer are here, I can
> > also look and see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.
>
> Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when
> I do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.
>
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

Have you installed anthy and scim anthy?

But as I say, I'll look at my granddaughter's computer when I have access to
it at the weekend and discuss it with her.

Lisi

Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 PM
"H.S."

Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> On Sunday 25 January 2009 15:56:20 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>>> But, all I want is to use scim within openoffice writer: it's for my
>>> sister, she speaks Chinese and
>>> needs writing chinese characters.
>>>
>>> With gedit, she simply does:
>>>
>>> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
>>>
>>> , but this does not work with openoffice. Can you suggest how to
>>> achieve it?
>>> She needs word processor features.
>

> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> I have always had problems with OpenOffice. [...] But the solution was to
>> use another Word Processor, e.g. KWord. I am sure there are others that
>> would work fine. You say that it works in Gedit.
>>
>> I did at one point find that only K* applications worked (she uses KDE), but
>> as she is quite happy with KMail and KWord it wasn't a problem for her.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> Kword (KOffice if you want the whole suite) on the other hand is easy both to
>> install and to use. When she and her computer are here, I can also look and
>> see whether it works in Abiword, if that would be a help.
>

> Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when I
> do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.
>
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.
>
> Bye
> Rodolfo

I am jumping into this thread here so ....

Looks like you still do not have it working yet.

I have scim working here properly on Debian Testing. The packages that I
have installed are listed at the end of this post.

After install scim and the related m17 packages, I had to set my
variables so that I have:
$> set | grep -i scim
GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
QT_IM_MODULE=scim
XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM

I have set these in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim in my case. The lines
that do this in the files are:
#GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
#QT_IM_MODULE=xim
QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

I supposed you can set these in your .bashrc as well, but I haven't
tried that.

Next, you need to be careful about the locale you are using. In my case,
$> locale
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I needed to add these to my ~/.scim/global along with other locales that
I may use. So the line reads this in my case:
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8

Once this is done, you need to start scim. I just stated it once (I am
using KDE) and it automatically starts by itself whenever I log in. To
start it manually, I think you need to give the command "scim -d" on a
prompt. I sometimes have had to relogin after tweaking scim settings
during a session.

With these things in place, I can get multi-language in put in OOo. I
also noticed that if I installed openoffice.org-kde, scim stopped
working for OOo. It probably has something to do with KDE and
environment variables.

Good luck,
->HS

PS: Some relevant packages that I have installed:
$> dpkg -l *scim* *i18* *office* *m17* | grep ^i | gawk '{print $1 " "
$2 " " $3}'
ii debconf-i18n 1.5.24
ii kde-i18n-fr 4:3.5.10-2
ii libgoffice-0-6 0.6.3-1
ii libgoffice-0-6-common 0.6.3-1
ii libgoffice-dbg 0.6.3-1
ii libm17n-0 1.5.2-1
ii libmono-i18n1.0-cil 1.9.1+dfsg-5
ii libmono-i18n2.0-cil 1.9.1+dfsg-5
ii libtext-wrapi18n-perl 0.06-6
ii m17n-contrib 1.1.7-1
ii m17n-db 1.5.2-1
ii openoffice.org 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-base 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-base-core 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-calc 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-common 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-core 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-draw 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-emailmerge 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-evolution 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-filter-binfilter 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-gnome 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-gtk 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-impress 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-java-common 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-math 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-officebean 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-report-builder-bin 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-andromeda 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-crystal 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-style-tango 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-writer 1:2.4.1-15
ii openoffice.org-writer2latex 0.5-8
ii scim 1.4.7-3
ii scim-m17n 0.2.2-3

ever having been read.

Old 01-30-2009, 03:20 PM
Rodolfo Medina

On Jan 29, 7:10*pm, "H.S." <hs.sa...@gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> ii openoffice.org-calc *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-common * * * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-core *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-draw *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-emailmerge * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-evolution * * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-filter-binfilter * * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev * * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-gnome 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-gtk * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-impress * * * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-java-common * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-l10n-en-gb * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-math *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-officebean * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-report-builder-bin * *1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-style-andromeda * * * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-style-crystal 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-style-tango * 1:2.4.1-15
> ii openoffice.org-writer * * * *1:2.4.1-15

Thanks for your help.

I followed your indications but with no success.
I installed *all* the packages you report in my Testing system; then
in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim
I put the following stuff:

#GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
#QT_IM_MODULE=xim
QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

; then in ~/.scim/global I put the following stuff:

/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8
LANG=en_CA.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TIME=en_DK.UTF-8
LC_COLLATE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_CA.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

. But still the output of locale is:

$ locale
LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_GB.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

and I start scim, then run openoffice, do C-space but the scim toolbar
does not appear!
What did I miss?
Rodolfo

Old 01-30-2009, 04:06 PM
"H.S."

Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Thanks for your help.
>
> I followed your indications but with no success.
> I installed *all* the packages you report in my Testing system; then
> in /etc/X11/xinit/xinput.d/scim
> I put the following stuff:
>
> #GTK_IM_MODULE=xim
> GTK_IM_MODULE="scim"
> #QT_IM_MODULE=xim
> QT_IM_MODULE="scim"

Good.

> ; then in ~/.scim/global I put the following stuff:
>

> /SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8,fr_FR.UTF-8

In this case, just include your GB locale in ~/.scim/global thus:
/SupportedUnicodeLocales = en_GB.UTF-8,en_CA.utf8,en_US.UTF-8

while excluding locales that you do not use in the line above.

> . But still the output of locale is:
>
> $ locale
> LANG=en_GB.UTF-8
> LC_CTYPE="en_GB.UTF-8"
> LC_NUMERIC="en_GB.UTF-8"

BTW, just to be clear, the LC*=<value> lines should not be in
~/.scim/global file.

Also note that we are not changing your locale, just trying to get scim
to work. So if you locale is still en_GB.UTF-8, that is fine.

> and I start scim, then run openoffice, do C-space but the scim toolbar
> does not appear!

When you do 'scim -d' in a terminal, what are the messages that you get
in that terminal? You also first need to get scim configured (after
starting it) to tell what to do with CTRL+space, i.e. which layout to
choose.

Let us first get scim working and then we will deal with openoffice.org.
So while trying to get scim to work, just use a GUI editor to see if you
can input international symbols.

I see from your past emails that you are using gnome. Do you get the
scim icon (the gray keyboard icon) on your panel when you do 'scim -d'?

Also, since you are starting gnome using startx, what are the x commands
you use in your x-starting file (.xinitrc?)?

->HS

ever having been read.

Old 02-01-2009, 10:34 PM
刘建才

于 Fri, 30 Jan 2009 12:06:21 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> 写道:

> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> >

> > Thanks for your help.
>
> I see from your past emails that you are using gnome. Do you get the
> scim icon (the gray keyboard icon) on your panel when you do 'scim -d'?
>
> Also, since you are starting gnome using startx, what are the x commands
> you use in your x-starting file (.xinitrc?)?
>
> ->HS

I use JWM,SCIM and openoffice.org of Lenny,this is the content in my .xsession file,my SCIM can input Chinese charactar in openoffice.org.

export LC_ALL=zh_CN.UTF-8
export LANG=zh_CN.UTF-8
export LANGUAGE=zh_CN.UTF-8
export XMODIFIERS="@im=SCIM"
/usr/bin/jwm

hope you can make it work.

Old 02-03-2009, 01:41 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:30:24 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
[snip]
> Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when
> I do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.
>
> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
> granddaughter does.

Rodolfo,

I said that I would talk to my granddaughter over the weekend and look at her
laptop. I did so, and can now input Japanese to my own satisfaction on my
Debian Lenny system.

Allowing fully for Osamu's reservations, and for my having got to where I have
without any expert knowledge, and therefore possibly via unnecessary byeways,
with the omission of much that the expert would put in; would you like me to
tell you what I did, and what works and what doesn't work now on my desktop?

Lisi

Old 02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday 25 January 2009 20:30:24 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> [snip]
>> Unfortunately, I installed kword and scim doesn't work either with it: when
>> I do C-space, the scim toolbar does not appear.
>>
>> Please let me know if you catch some more information about how you
>> granddaughter does.
>
> Rodolfo,
>
> I said that I would talk to my granddaughter over the weekend and look at her
> laptop. I did so, and can now input Japanese to my own satisfaction on my
> Debian Lenny system.
>
> Allowing fully for Osamu's reservations, and for my having got to where I
> have without any expert knowledge, and therefore possibly via unnecessary
> byeways, with the omission of much that the expert would put in; would you
> like me to tell you what I did, and what works and what doesn't work now on
> my desktop?

Please do. Please if you can report all the settings you did and the packages
you had to install.

At the end I'll send a report over the list.

Thanks, cheers
Rodolfo

Old 02-04-2009, 08:34 AM
Lisi Reisz

On Tuesday 03 February 2009 22:26:31 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> would you
>
> > like me to tell you what I did, and what works and what doesn't work now
> > on my desktop?
>
> Please do. *Please if you can report all the settings you did and the
> packages you had to install.

Note that I was attempting to install Japanese, not Chinese. Some of what I
did was specific to Japanese and you would need to change those to Chinese if
you decided to try the same method. Also possibly relevant, I am running KDE
3.5.10 on Debian Lenny. I seem to remember that you are using Gnome.

This is what I did:

# aptitude install anthy anthy-el libanthy0 scim-anthy kasumi
scim-bridge-agent scim-bridge-client-gtk scim-bridge-client-qt
scim-bridge-client-qt4 scim-m17n scim-qtimm scim-tables-additional
scim-tables-ja libskim0 skim

All on one line - but my KMail setting won't allow it. The things I know to
be specific to Japanese are anthy, kasumi and scim-tables-ja. I know that
there is a scim-tables-zh, but I am afraid that I do not know the Chinese
equivalents of the others.

I had the following error message:

dpkg: libgd2-noxpm: dependency problems, but removing anyway as you request:
libgraphviz4 depends on libgd2-noxpm (>= 2.0.36~rc1~dfsg) | libgd2-xpm (>=
2.0.36~rc1~dfsg); however:
Package libgd2-noxpm is to be removed.
Package libgd2-xpm is not installed.
(Reading database ... 137853 files and directories currently installed.)
Removing libgd2-noxpm

so I installed libgd2-xpm.

I added the following lines to /etc/profile:

export XMODIFIERS=@im=SCIM
export GTK_IM_MODULE=scim
export QT_IM_MODULE=scim
scim -f socket -c socket -d

I enabled system tray on my panel so that the icon which had by now appeared
would be visible, right-clicked on it, which brought up a list
including "configure", and clicked on configure.

I then made the following alterations to the default:
Front end -> general scim -> toggle on/off -> I deleted everything except
control+space. I also looked at the keyboard layout, but it was already
correctly set to English (UK), so I left well alone.

Then in IMEngines -> global settings I unticked (unchecked) everything except
Japanese. I had to do this twice, because I failed to notice the elevator at
the side of the window and only unticked those I could already see. :-(

Then I rebooted.

I can now use control+space to toggle between English and Japanese in all K*
programs, OpenOffice.org and Iceweasel (Firefox). I have also tried in
Abiword. It obviously works, but the input is less straightforward, so I
gave up.

I hope that I have not left anything out!

If I have not made anything clear enough, or if you hit any problems that I
may have hit and needed to solve, feel free to ask.

HTH
Lisi

Old 02-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Any Scim users out there? Scim does not work for me within Openoffice. It
> works fine with gedit, just with the command
>
> $ GTK_IM_MODULE="scim" gedit
>
> . Any help very much appreciated.

Thanks to the help coming from this list, particularly from Lisi, the problem
is solved: I was missing the openoffice.org-gtk package.

For a complete report, see

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?p=109915#109915

Rodolfo

Old 02-05-2009, 10:16 PM
Lisi Reisz

On Thursday 05 February 2009 21:42:57 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> the problem
> is solved:

o/

I'm very pleased.

And you gave me the impetus to get it going on my own system, and not only my
granddaughter's! :-)

Lisi