Old 01-22-2009, 09:08 AM
Juha Tuuna

Default Serious aptitude upgrade problem

Flo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I am running into a serious upgrade problem.
>
> I am running debian testing and I did the following:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude -d upgrade
>
> Now I have downloaded the packages but instead of saying 'aptitude
> upgrade' to finish the upgrade I did:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude upgrade
>
> In the meantime I got another package to install but all previously
> downloaded packages are marked to be uptodate but they are not.
>
> Does anyone know how to correct this?
>
> Thanks for your help.

Try aptitude reinstall package

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 01-22-2009, 02:10 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:18:22AM +0100, Flo <debianflo@gmx.at> was heard to say:
> Hi,
>
> I think I am running into a serious upgrade problem.
>
> I am running debian testing and I did the following:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude -d upgrade
>
> Now I have downloaded the packages but instead of saying 'aptitude
> upgrade' to finish the upgrade I did:
>
> aptitude update
> aptitude upgrade
>
> In the meantime I got another package to install but all previously
> downloaded packages are marked to be uptodate but they are not.

If I understand correctly: you mean that aptitude doesn't even
attempt to upgrade them?

Could you post the complete output of "aptitude upgrade"? Also,
could you post the output of "dpkg -s PACKAGE", "aptitude show PACKAGE",
and "apt-cache policy PACKAGE" for one of the packages that should be
upgraded?

Thanks,
Daniel

Old 01-22-2009, 06:26 PM
Flo

Thanks for your email.

I am running debian testing and I did the following:

aptitude update
aptitude -d upgrade

Now I have downloaded the packages but instead of saying 'aptitude
upgrade' to finish the upgrade I did:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

In the meantime I got another package to install but all previously
downloaded packages are marked to be uptodate but they are not.

Try aptitude reinstall package

I did that already. Unfortunately aptitude it can't do this, either:

E: I wasn't able to locate file for the xxx package. This might mean you
need to manually fix this package.

The aptitude database should be refreshed to make aptitude accepting
that this package in that version is not installed, yet. But I haven't
found a possibility to do this.

Flo.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:38 PM
Flo

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:18:22AM +0100, Flo <debianflo@gmx.at> was heard to say:

Hi,

I think I am running into a serious upgrade problem.

I am running debian testing and I did the following:

aptitude update
aptitude -d upgrade

Now I have downloaded the packages but instead of saying 'aptitude
upgrade' to finish the upgrade I did:

aptitude update
aptitude upgrade

In the meantime I got another package to install but all previously
downloaded packages are marked to be uptodate but they are not.

If I understand correctly: you mean that aptitude doesn't even
attempt to upgrade them?

Yes, this is the case now. It wanted to do that *before* the second
update. But I made the second update instead to get all uptodate
packages. The reason was I initiated the first upgrade (download only)
and came back half day later.

Could you post the complete output of "aptitude upgrade"? Also,
could you post the output of "dpkg -s PACKAGE", "aptitude show PACKAGE",
and "apt-cache policy PACKAGE" for one of the packages that should be
upgraded?

# aptitude upgrade
W: The "upgrade" command is deprecated; use "safe-upgrade" instead.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 0B will be used.
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done

# dpkg -s texlive-doc-base
Package: texlive-doc-base
Basic documentation
.
This package includes the following CTAN packages:
texlive-en -- The texlive-en package.
Homepage: http://www.tug.org/texlive

# aptitude show texlive-doc-base
Package: texlive-doc-base
New: yes
State: installed
Automatically installed: yes
Version: 2007.dfsg.1-1
Basic documentation

This package includes the following CTAN packages:
texlive-en -- The texlive-en package.
Homepage: http://www.tug.org/texlive

# apt-cache policy texlive-doc-base
texlive-doc-base:
Installed: 2007.dfsg.1-1
Candidate: 2007.dfsg.1-1
Version table:
*** 2007.dfsg.1-1 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
2005.dfsg.2-1 0
500 ftp://ftp.at.debian.org stable/main Packages

It looks like being installed but it isn't.

Thank you for your help.

Flo.

Old 01-22-2009, 07:00 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 2009 January 22 13:38:27 Flo wrote:
># aptitude upgrade
>No packages will be installed, upgraded, or removed.
>
># dpkg -s texlive-doc-base
>Version: 2007.dfsg.1-1
>
># aptitude show texlive-doc-base
>State: installed
>Version: 2007.dfsg.1-1
>
># apt-cache policy texlive-doc-base
>texlive-doc-base:
> Installed: 2007.dfsg.1-1
> Candidate: 2007.dfsg.1-1
> Version table:
> *** 2007.dfsg.1-1 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 2005.dfsg.2-1 0
> 500 ftp://ftp.at.debian.org stable/main Packages
>
>It looks like being installed but it isn't.

How do you know that 2007.dfsg.1-1 isn't what is actually installed? All
these seem to agree that it is what is installed. Could you do some sort of
sha1sum test to verify your version of the files shipped in this package
actually differ from the one in 2007.dsfg.1-1?
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 01-22-2009, 08:24 PM
Flo

It looks like being installed but it isn't.

How do you know that 2007.dfsg.1-1 isn't what is actually installed? All
these seem to agree that it is what is installed. Could you do some sort of
sha1sum test to verify your version of the files shipped in this package
actually differ from the one in 2007.dsfg.1-1?

You are right! 2007.dfsg.2-1 is the uptodate version. 2007.dfsg.1-1 is
the old version which is installed and should be upgraded.
I did some investigation at the /var/cache/apt/archives directory and
found the new package already downloaded.

But now aptitude doesn't know that it should perform the actual upgrade
of this (and other) packages.

The second update must have confused it. How could it happen and, more
important, how can I fix this?

Thank you for this hint and your help.

Flo.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:04 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

On Thursday 2009 January 22 15:24:57 Flo wrote:
>You are right! 2007.dfsg.2-1 is the uptodate version. 2007.dfsg.1-1 is
>the old version which is installed and should be upgraded.

According to what you posted earlier today, apt doesn't know about
2007.dfsg.2-1 yet. Assuming you are on Lenny/Sid you might try "aptitude
update" to resolve that.

>The second update must have confused it. How could it happen and, more
>important, how can I fix this?

Yeah, I'm not sure how that confused it, but it could happen. Are you doing
anything unusual? E.g., have a local apt repository, use some sort of
apt-proxy software, et al.?

Old 01-23-2009, 01:09 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 04:04:28PM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> On Thursday 2009 January 22 15:24:57 Flo wrote:
> >The second update must have confused it. How could it happen and, more
> >important, how can I fix this?
>
> Yeah, I'm not sure how that confused it, but it could happen. Are you doing
> anything unusual? E.g., have a local apt repository, use some sort of
> apt-proxy software, et al.?

I don't know the timing, but I wonder if it could be as simple as
mirror skew.

Daniel

Old 01-23-2009, 05:46 AM
Flo

According to what you posted earlier today, apt doesn't know about
2007.dfsg.2-1 yet. Assuming you are on Lenny/Sid you might try "aptitude
update" to resolve that.

Or better: It doesn't know about 2007.dfsg.2-1 anymore. Because it did
know and downloaded the version.

aptitude update: This would be logical for me, but I haven't dared to do
that after the second time not to get even more mess.

But now I tried again: *And it worked*. Aptitude knows all the packages
again. So: problem solved.

The second update must have confused it. How could it happen and, more
important, how can I fix this?

Yeah, I'm not sure how that confused it, but it could happen. Are you doing
anything unusual? E.g., have a local apt repository, use some sort of
apt-proxy software, et al.?

No, nothing special. I just have different sources in the menu.lst.

Thank you for your help.

Flo

Old 01-23-2009, 05:49 AM
Flo

I don't know the timing, but I wonder if it could be as simple as
mirror skew.

Probably you are right. I did the right thing at the wrong time. And
spent hours on searching a problem which didn't exist.

Nevertheless, thank you for your help.

Flo.