Old 01-22-2009, 04:57 AM
JoeHill

Default No video in iceweasel or konqueror (lenny standard install)

A. F. Cano wrote:

> Am I the only one having trouble with youtube and any other video site?
>
> I presume this is a flash issue. This is a new Lenny install, not un
> upgrade of Etch. I have done no customization to the browsers.
> Whereas I had no problem in Etch with iceape, I can't see any video
> with either konqueror or iceweasel. Iceweasel reports that flash r9 r100
> is installed, and going to the adobe site it is recognized as such, but
> attempting to view any youtube video yields only a large circle with a
> triangle inside it. Clicking on it results in a black screen. In
> konqueror, there is no circle and triangle, but nothing happens until
> I click on where the video should be, then konqueror downloads it (the
> progress bar says so) but it is never displayed, no matter how many times
> I click the > (start) button. I have tried this with a direct connection
> to the internet and (at first) via privoxy, which I've been using in Etch
> with no problem. These are settings in the browsers.

Do you have the packaged version of Flash installed? What does this show?:

dpkg -l |grep -i flash |awk '{print $2}'

I would try removing any packaged version of flash (flashplugin-nonfree), and
install the per-user version from Adobe (ie. install as a regular user), and
see if that works.

Just download the tar.gz, extract, cd in and run the installer. Always works
for me.

> Has anyone had this problem? Any solution?
>
> There's something else that bugs me. Konqueror pops up a window once
> in a while saying that it couldn't get the proxy script or something
> like that. What exactly is it doing and why?

Not sure about that one.

Old 01-22-2009, 05:50 PM
"A. F. Cano"

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57:24AM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Originally I wrote:
> > Am I the only one having trouble with youtube and any other video site?
> >
> > I presume this is a flash issue. This is a new Lenny install, not un
> Do you have the packaged version of Flash installed? What does this show?:
>
> dpkg -l |grep -i flash |awk '{print $2}'

flashplayer-mozilla
kwordquiz
libswfdec-0.6-90
swfdec-mozilla

I believe I installed the last one in an effort to solve the problem, it
wasn't installed automatically by the Lenny installation. The lib is
probably a dependency.

> I would try removing any packaged version of flash (flashplugin-nonfree), and

There is no flashplugin-nonfree. The only thing similar that aptitude
reports is flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound, that I have not installed so I
don't add yet another variable to the problem. Keep in mind that iceweasel
reports flash 9 r100, so I does not appear that something is missing. My
sources.list has this:

deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

> install the per-user version from Adobe (ie. install as a regular user), and
> see if that works.

I would like to keep the install as standard as possible, but if there's no
choice I'll do that. Still I would like to understand why it doesn't work.
If it's something specific to my installation, it would be helpful to know,
if it's a problem with the installation (ie: everyone else has the same
problem), it would be useful to know too so I can do something (file a bug
report?).

Thanks for replying.

A.

Old 01-22-2009, 06:52 PM
Kelly Clowers

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 10:50, A. F. Cano <afc@shibaya.lonestar.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 12:57:24AM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
>> Originally I wrote:
>> > Am I the only one having trouble with youtube and any other video site?
>> >
>> > I presume this is a flash issue. This is a new Lenny install, not un
>> Do you have the packaged version of Flash installed? What does this show?:
>>
>> dpkg -l |grep -i flash |awk '{print $2}'
>
> flashplayer-mozilla
> kwordquiz
> libswfdec-0.6-90
> swfdec-mozilla
>
> I believe I installed the last one in an effort to solve the problem, it
> wasn't installed automatically by the Lenny installation. The lib is
> probably a dependency.
>
>> I would try removing any packaged version of flash (flashplugin-nonfree), and
>
> There is no flashplugin-nonfree. The only thing similar that aptitude
> reports is flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound, that I have not installed so I
> don't add yet another variable to the problem. Keep in mind that iceweasel
> reports flash 9 r100, so I does not appear that something is missing. My
> sources.list has this:

It looks like flashplugin-nonfree (which is from the main debian archive,
flashplayer-mozilla is from debian-multimedia) is only in sid.

I would remove both swfdec packages, and then purge and reinstall
flashplayer-mozilla, and check that the correct symlinks are created
in e.g. [iceape dir]/plugins

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 01-23-2009, 02:13 AM
"A. F. Cano"

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 11:52:34AM -0800, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> It looks like flashplugin-nonfree (which is from the main debian archive,
> flashplayer-mozilla is from debian-multimedia) is only in sid.
>
> I would remove both swfdec packages, and then purge and reinstall

Ok, did that.

> flashplayer-mozilla, and check that the correct symlinks are created

It seems that reinstalling flashplayer-mozilla did the trick. Thanks!

A.