Old 01-22-2009, 03:30 AM
Nate Bargmann

Default Exim4 with a Goddady account

I've used the esmtp package with Mutt for years but have noticed some
issues with GoDaddy's smptout.secureserver.net mail relay. So, I
figured I'd give Exim4 a try (it's the Debian default so it should be
easy, right? Heh, no).

Things seem to be getting tripped up somewhere and after a couple of
hours of reading the docs and trying to dig the depths of Google (with
many junk leads), I'm remembering why I punted Exim in the first place
(who's idea of a sick joke was Exim's inclusion into Debian anyway and
as the default MTA no less?).

Anyway, if there is no simple answer to getting Exim to play with my
GoDaddy SMTP server, then I shall look elswhere. For your amusement,
here is the transaction when I attempt to force one of the frozen
messages:

exim -v -M 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
delivering 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
LOG: MAIN
Unfrozen by forced delivery
R: smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
T: remote_smtp_smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
Transport port=25 replaced by host-specific port=80
Connecting to smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]:80 ... connected
SMTP<< 220 smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
SMTP>> EHLO merlin.n0nb.ampr.org
SMTP<< 250-smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
250-8BITMIME
250 PIPELINING
SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<>
SMTP>> RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>
SMTP>> DATA
SMTP<< 250 Sender accepted.
SMTP<< 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
SMTP<< 503 You must send RCPT TO: first
SMTP>> QUIT
LOG: MAIN
** n0nb@n0nb.us F=<> P=<> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>: host smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]: 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
LOG: MAIN
Frozen (delivery error message)

- Nate >>

Old 01-22-2009, 07:58 AM
Bob Cox

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 22:30:09 -0600, Nate Bargmann (n0nb@n0nb.us) wrote:

> I've used the esmtp package with Mutt for years but have noticed some
> issues with GoDaddy's smptout.secureserver.net mail relay. So, I
> figured I'd give Exim4 a try (it's the Debian default so it should be
> easy, right? Heh, no).
>
> Things seem to be getting tripped up somewhere and after a couple of
> hours of reading the docs and trying to dig the depths of Google (with
> many junk leads), I'm remembering why I punted Exim in the first place
> (who's idea of a sick joke was Exim's inclusion into Debian anyway and
> as the default MTA no less?).
>
> Anyway, if there is no simple answer to getting Exim to play with my
> GoDaddy SMTP server, then I shall look elswhere. For your amusement,
> here is the transaction when I attempt to force one of the frozen
> messages:
>
> exim -v -M 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
> delivering 1LPq3H-00077w-MW
> LOG: MAIN
> Unfrozen by forced delivery
> R: smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
> T: remote_smtp_smarthost for n0nb@n0nb.us
> Transport port=25 replaced by host-specific port=80
> Connecting to smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]:80 ... connected
> SMTP<< 220 smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net ESMTP
> SMTP>> EHLO merlin.n0nb.ampr.org
> SMTP<< 250-smtpauth04.prod.mesa1.secureserver.net
> 250-AUTH LOGIN PLAIN
> 250-8BITMIME
> 250 PIPELINING
> SMTP>> MAIL FROM:<>
> SMTP>> RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>
> SMTP>> DATA
> SMTP<< 250 Sender accepted.
> SMTP<< 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
> SMTP<< 503 You must send RCPT TO: first
> SMTP>> QUIT
> LOG: MAIN
> ** n0nb@n0nb.us F=<> P=<> R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after RCPT TO:<n0nb@n0nb.us>: host smtp.starfieldtech.com [64.202.165.58]: 553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts.
> LOG: MAIN
> Frozen (delivery error message)

Are you sure this is an exim-specific problem? I know little about
exim, using postfix for my servers which talk to the outside world, but
this line:

"553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"

.. means that smtp.starfieldtech.com will not relay for you. Just
because the error comes immediately after RCPT TO does not mean that
n0nb@n0nb.us is what starfieldtech is objecting to. You have an empty
MAIL FROM - is that the problem? (You also have a non-resolving EHLO,
but that probably does not matter).

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-22-2009, 11:08 AM
Nate Bargmann

* Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> [2009 Jan 22 02:59 -0600]:
> Are you sure this is an exim-specific problem? I know little about
> exim, using postfix for my servers which talk to the outside world, but
> this line:
>
> "553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"
>
> .. means that smtp.starfieldtech.com will not relay for you. Just
> because the error comes immediately after RCPT TO does not mean that
> n0nb@n0nb.us is what starfieldtech is objecting to. You have an empty
> MAIL FROM - is that the problem? (You also have a non-resolving EHLO,
> but that probably does not matter).

Well, I re-enabled esmtp as my MTA in Mutt and it works splendidly with
a very simple config file--four lines. There are some compromises such
as no delivery of local mail and Mutt has to wait until the SMTP
transaction is complete. Also my muttrc has the following line:

my_hdr From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>

So, if Exim isn't showing a proper "From:" line, then I'd say Exim is
broken.

Perhaps I ought to check out Postfix and cut my losses on Exim4.

- Nate >>

Old 01-22-2009, 11:43 AM
Bob Cox

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:08:10 -0600, Nate Bargmann (n0nb@n0nb.us) wrote:

> * Bob Cox <debian-user@lists.bobcox.com> [2009 Jan 22 02:59 -0600]:
> > Are you sure this is an exim-specific problem? I know little about
> > exim, using postfix for my servers which talk to the outside world, but
> > this line:
> >
> > "553 Sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts"
> >
> > .. means that smtp.starfieldtech.com will not relay for you. Just
> > because the error comes immediately after RCPT TO does not mean that
> > n0nb@n0nb.us is what starfieldtech is objecting to. You have an empty
> > MAIL FROM - is that the problem? (You also have a non-resolving EHLO,
> > but that probably does not matter).
>
> Well, I re-enabled esmtp as my MTA in Mutt and it works splendidly with
> a very simple config file--four lines. There are some compromises such
> as no delivery of local mail and Mutt has to wait until the SMTP
> transaction is complete. Also my muttrc has the following line:
>
> my_hdr From: Nate Bargmann <n0nb@n0nb.us>
>
> So, if Exim isn't showing a proper "From:" line, then I'd say Exim is
> broken.

But this is failing at the SMTP envelope stage, before the "From:" line
is sent. The "From:" line is sent as part of the DATA. What you seem
to lacking is the MAIL FROM (which should probably be the same as From:
but not necessarily so).

> Perhaps I ought to check out Postfix and cut my losses on Exim4.

I have used Postfix for years (I have a static IP etc and send and
receive direct-to-mx) but no doubt exim would do the job just as well
and as it's the Debian default it really should have more support
available on this list.

> Ham radio,

73 de G4AEL

Please reply to the list only. Do NOT send copies directly to me.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:55 AM
Nate Bargmann

Well, I'm fairly certain I have Exim4 4.69 working after a bit of
tweaking. For reference, I received ideas from the following links:

http://fixunix.com/1028851-post24.html
http://wiki.debian.org/GmailAndExim4

The first link gave some good advice on setting up Exim with debconf,
although I didn't *exactly* follow his advice, opting for the split
files configuration. I also found that the edits he mentioned did not
need to be made as the latest Exim4 package in Sid had them
uncommented.

The second link gave me the final piece of the puzzle which was to add
"@localhost" to the /etc/email-addresses file.

I did NOT need to edit any of the Exim4 config files under
/etc/exim4/conf.d to make this work. The GoDaddy SMTP host requires a
username (email address of the account) and a password sent in plain
text with no apparent encryption and specifies that port 80 be used for
the connection (most likely to get around an ISP blocking port 25).

Here are my config files in the hope that they help someone else.

# /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf
# This is a Debian specific file

dc_eximconfig_configtype='smarthost'
dc_other_hostnames='
dc_local_interfaces='127.0.0.1'
dc_readhost='n0nb.us'
dc_relay_domains='
dc_minimaldns='false'
dc_relay_nets='
dc_smarthost='smtp.starfieldtech.com::80'
CFILEMODE='644'
dc_use_split_config='true'
dc_hide_mailname='true'
dc_mailname_in_oh='true'
dc_localdelivery='mail_spool'

# /etc/exim4/passwd.client
# Example:
### target.mail.server.example:loginassword

smtp.starfieldtech.com:n0nb@n0nb.usass-word

# This is /etc/email-addresses. It is part of the exim package
username@localhost: n0nb@n0nb.us

A note about the above files. It is crucial that the actual hostname
of the SMTP server be supplied to /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf and
/etc/exim4/passwd.client or else it won't work. To get this DNS name I
used the `host smtpout.secureserver.net' command:

$ host smtpout.secureserver.net
smtpout.secureserver.net CNAME smtp.starfieldtech.com
smtp.starfieldtech.com A 64.202.165.58

Note also that /etc/email-addresses is used to map the local computer's
login name to the email address hosted by GoDaddy. Things did not work
for me until I added the @localhost.

Finally, to force the use of the clear text "authentication", I added
the file /etc/exim4/conf.d/main/000_localmacros which per the
README.Debian file needs to be loaded before any macros are read. It
is simple containing a single line:

AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS=true

That is the complete configuration needed to get Exim4 working with the
GoDaddy SMTP server on my computer. If you can read this, I guess I
was successful. :-)

- Nate >>

Old 01-24-2009, 01:20 PM
Nate Bargmann

Finally, to close the loop on this, I found that daemon mail from
crontab was being sent to the smarthost. I looked at /etc/mailname
which had been set to the value I'd entered into the debconf dialogs
early on. It was a non-routable domain so the smarthost generated a
failure report back to me. I changed the name in /etc/mailname to
"localhost" and now the daemon mail is properly delivered per the
/etc/aliases file and outgoing mail is sent to the smarthost.

My incoming mail is handled by Fetchmail from the POP3 server and
handed directly to Procmail for sorting into my Mutt mailboxes.

Exim4 is now working properly with the GoDaddy SMTP server. Hopefuly
this will help someone else in the future.

- Nate

Old 01-24-2009, 03:49 PM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:20:52AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Finally, to close the loop on this, I found that daemon mail from
> crontab was being sent to the smarthost.

This means you missed this bogus domain listed to be local for exim4.

Did your dc_other_hostnames in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf listed
your bogus domain used for local?

This is set by "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config".

See
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

Osamu

Old 01-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Nate Bargmann

* Osamu Aoki <osamu@debian.org> [2009 Jan 24 11:07 -0600]:
> On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 08:20:52AM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> > Finally, to close the loop on this, I found that daemon mail from
> > crontab was being sent to the smarthost.
>
> This means you missed this bogus domain listed to be local for exim4.
>
> Did your dc_other_hostnames in /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf listed
> your bogus domain used for local?

No. It was blank. I put my personal domain name in that field and
then put that same name in /etc/mailname.

> This is set by "dpkg-reconfigure exim4-config".

I edited /etc/exim4/update-exim4.conf.conf directly and then ran
`invoke-rc.d exim4 restart' and local delivery is successful and the
personal domain shows in the message headers now. I also removed the
@localhost host in /etc/email-addresses and everything is working well.

> See
> http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

Thanks!

- Nate >>

Old 01-25-2009, 12:05 AM
Nate Bargmann

Is there some way to control the message ID? If you look at this
message ID it is shown as "@localhost" whereas the other two message
posted through my prior Exim configuration show "@personal.dom" and the
first message in this thread posted through esmtp shows "@n0nb.us".

I'd like to force this to be "@n0nb.us" if possible.

- Nate >>

Old 01-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Osamu Aoki

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 07:05:13PM -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> Is there some way to control the message ID? If you look at this
> message ID it is shown as "@localhost" whereas the other two message
> posted through my prior Exim configuration show "@personal.dom" and the
> first message in this thread posted through esmtp shows "@n0nb.us".

Your mail header says you are using mutt. You can set this in mutt.

set hostname=n0nb.us

as written in
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#basicmuamutt

> I'd like to force this to be "@n0nb.us" if possible.