Old 01-22-2009, 02:49 AM
Ron Johnson

Default Reality of SATA hotplug?

Hi,

If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is
on, is it ok for me to just slide it back in? Or should I power the
machine down?

If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean
that I could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Old 01-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Jochen Schulz

Ron Johnson:

> If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is on, is
> it ok for me to just slide it back in? Or should I power the machine
> down?

Generally you don't have to power down. (Of course, if a filesystem on
the drive was mounted, you probably have to fsck it after plugging the
drive back in.)

> If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that I
> could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

Generally yes. But from what I have read, many consumer-grade mainboards
/ SATA controllers don't support that feature very well. But it
shouldn't hurt to just try it.

J.
--
I wish I looked more like a successful person even though I'm a loser.
[Agree] [Disagree]

Old 01-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Stefan Monnier

> If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that
> I could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

Also, don't forget that while the SATA driver (and chipset, presumably)
support hotplug, the normal SATA connectors are not meant to be used
for hotplugging. For hotplug to work reliably, you should be using an
eSata connector (where the pins are so layed out as to ensure that when
you (un)plug they're (dis)connected in the right order).

Stefan

Old 01-22-2009, 08:29 PM
Mark Allums

Ron Johnson wrote:

Hi,

If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is on,
is it ok for me to just slide it back in? Or should I power the machine
down?

If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that I
could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

YMMV. I have hotplugged SATA on Win XP and it works plugging OUT,
(Doesn't necessarily blow anything up) but to plug IN, the device will
sometime recognize, and mostly won't, unless you reboot.

With a Software RAID, the hotplug works if you tell the RAID management
software what you are going to do BEFORE you do it.

Never tried it on Debian.

Mark Allums

Old 01-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Ron Johnson

If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is on,
is it ok for me to just slide it back in? Or should I power the
machine down?

If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that
I could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

YMMV. I have hotplugged SATA on Win XP and it works plugging OUT,

????

Do you mean "works if you unplug" the device?

(Doesn't necessarily blow anything up)

I once fried a parallel port (and maybe mobo, depending on whether
it was on an ISA card or not) when I accidentally plugged it in
while powered.

but to plug IN, the device will
sometime recognize, and mostly won't, unless you reboot.

One of the benefits of Linux is continuous improvement, whereas
Windows *might* get it in an SP, but most likely in a major upgrade.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:14 AM
Mark Allums

Ron Johnson wrote:

If a loose SATA cable falls off of my DVD drive while the power is
on, is it ok for me to just slide it back in? Or should I power the
machine down?

If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean
that I could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

YMMV. I have hotplugged SATA on Win XP and it works plugging OUT,

????

Do you mean "works if you unplug" the device?

Yes, you likely won't fry anything unplugging, although your device
driver/program/OS may crash.

(Doesn't necessarily blow anything up)

I once fried a parallel port (and maybe mobo, depending on whether it
was on an ISA card or not) when I accidentally plugged it in while powered.

but to plug IN, the device
will sometime recognize, and mostly won't, unless you reboot.

One of the benefits of Linux is continuous improvement, whereas Windows
*might* get it in an SP, but most likely in a major upgrade.

XP will often "see" the drive if you do a "Scan for hardware changes" in
Device Manager, but doesn't always, in my experience.

Old 01-23-2009, 01:24 AM
Mark Allums

Stefan Monnier wrote:

If SATA hotplug *does* work "on the desktop", does that also mean that
I could plug a new hard drive in while the system is running?

Also, don't forget that while the SATA driver (and chipset, presumably)
support hotplug, the normal SATA connectors are not meant to be used
for hotplugging. For hotplug to work reliably, you should be using an
eSata connector (where the pins are so layed out as to ensure that when
you (un)plug they're (dis)connected in the right order).

This is correct, internal SATA must be unplugged hot very carefully, do
be careful to pull it straight out; otherwise, shorting across the pins
can occur. Plugging IN is not really recommended.

It is the reverse with external. You can plug IN safely, but UNplugging
may toastify the drive, or at least, the file system. Or so I've been told.

Mark Allums

Old 01-23-2009, 07:16 AM
Stefan Monnier

> It is the reverse with external. You can plug IN safely, but UNplugging may
> toastify the drive, or at least, the file system. Or so I've been told.

AFAIk eSata can be unplugged safely in terms of electrical issues (i.e.,
you won't fry your drive). But of course, if you unplug while you still
have data waiting to be written to the drive, you may lose data or even
your whole filesystem. This is just inherent in unplugging and the same
thing can happen if you turn off the power at the wrong time.

Stefan