FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 PM
Nigel Henry
 
Default No sound on HP dv4

Repost of info posted on the /dev/sndstat thread by s. keeling.

>I'm just adding my similar situation. It's an HP dv4 AMD Turion dual
>core. I've not heard a peep of sound from it yet. Linux newmil
>2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 15 22:48:01 UTC
>2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Kernel is stock Sidux.

> >> $ lspci | grep Audio

>00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
>01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller

>Why are there two?

The first is for your actual soundcard, and the the second appears to be a
sound component on the graphics card for HDMI. Both from a bit of googling
appear to use the snd-hda-intel driver, but as your lsmod below shows, the
snd-hda-intel module isn't loaded. Please go to the bottom of the post for
some suggestions, which may, or may not work, but are worth trying.

> >> $ lsmod | grep snd

>snd_seq_oss 37760 0
>snd_seq_midi 11648 0
>snd_rawmidi 29568 1 snd_seq_midi
>snd_seq_midi_event 12544 2 snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi
>snd_seq 62048 6
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_seq_mid i_event
>snd_timer 28304 1 snd_seq
>snd_seq_device 12180 5
snd_seq_dummy,snd_seq_oss,snd_seq_midi,snd_rawmidi ,snd_seq
>snd 73800 5
snd_seq_oss,snd_rawmidi,snd_seq,snd_timer,snd_seq_ device
>soundcore 12960 1 snd

> >> # cat /dev/sndstat

>Sound Driver:3.8.1a-980706 (ALSA v1.0.18rc3 emulation code)
>Kernel: Linux newmil 2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 15
22:48:01 UTC 2009 x86_64
>Config options: 0

>Installed drivers:
>Type 10: ALSA emulation

>Card config:
>--- no soundcards ---

>Audio devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

>Synth devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

>Midi devices: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

>Timers:
>31: system timer

>Mixers: NOT ENABLED IN CONFIG

> $ lspci -v -s00:06.1

>(0) newmil [root] /root_ lspci -v -s00:14.2
>00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company Device 30fb
> Flags: slow devsel, IRQ 16
> Memory at d2500000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 2
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

>(0) newmil [root] /root_ lspci -v -s01:05.1
>01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> Subsystem: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> Flags: fast devsel, IRQ 19
> Memory at d2410000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
> Capabilities: [50] Power Management version 3
> Capabilities: [a0] Message Signalled Interrupts: Mask- 64bit+
Queue=0/0 Enable-
> Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

First try loading the snd-hda-intel module as root. See below.
modprobe snd-hda-intel

If you are just returned to the prompt, then run, lsmod | grep snd again, and
see if the snd-hda-intel module is listed. If modprobe complains that it
can't load the module, it could possibly be due to the fact that both the
soundcard, and the sound component in the graphics card for HDMI, are both
using snd-hda-intel, and there is some sort of conflict.

if the modprobe snd-hda-intel does result in the module showing up in lsmod's
output, add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules. Reboot, and run lsmod | grep snd,
and see if the snd-hda-intel module is there. Then run the commands below.

cat /proc/asound/cards
grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

I don't expect much success from my suggestions above, so let's try this.
Having removed the line for snd-hda-intel from /etc/modules, add this line
to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. See below.

options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

This option will select only the first codec (the one for your soundcard), and
ignore the one for the RS780 Azalia controller one, which also uses
snd-hda-intel, and may be causing a problem.

Having set the above options line, reboot, and run the following commands
again.

lsmod | grep snd
cat /proc/asound/cards
grep ^Codec /asound/card?/codec*

I doubt whether any of this is going to get the sounds working, but worth a
try.

Please post back all the output from the commands.

Is the HP dv4 a new machine? It's possible it's not supported yet with alsa.

All the best.

Nigel.






--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-06-2009, 06:15 PM
"s. keeling"
 
Default No sound on HP dv4

Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> Repost of info posted on the /dev/sndstat thread by s. keeling.
>
> s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
> >
> >I'm just adding my similar situation. It's an HP dv4 AMD Turion dual
> >core. I've not heard a peep of sound from it yet. Linux newmil
> >2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 15 22:48:01 UTC
> >2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Kernel is stock Sidux.
>
> > >> $ lspci | grep Audio
>
> >00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> >01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> [snip]
> First try loading the snd-hda-intel module as root. See below.
> modprobe snd-hda-intel

That worked. It loads.

> If you are just returned to the prompt, then run, lsmod | grep snd again, and
> see if the snd-hda-intel module is listed. If modprobe complains that it
> can't load the module, it could possibly be due to the fact that both the
> soundcard, and the sound component in the graphics card for HDMI, are both
> using snd-hda-intel, and there is some sort of conflict.
>
> if the modprobe snd-hda-intel does result in the module showing up in lsmod's

The modprobe at the commandline managed to turn the red microphone
icon on the laptop white (or I that's what did it).

> output, add snd-hda-intel to /etc/modules. Reboot, and run lsmod | grep snd,
> and see if the snd-hda-intel module is there. Then run the commands below.
>
> cat /proc/asound/cards
> grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*

(0) newmil [root] /root_ cat /proc/asound/cards
0 [SB ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI SB
HDA ATI SB at 0xd2500000 irq 16
1 [HDMI ]: HDA-Intel - HDA ATI HDMI
HDA ATI HDMI at 0xd2410000 irq 19
(0) newmil [root] /root_ grep ^Codec /proc/asound/card?/codec*
/proc/asound/card0/codec#0:Codec: IDT 92HD71B7X
/proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec: LSI ID 1040
/proc/asound/card1/codec#0:Codec: ATI ATI RS690/780 HDMI

> I don't expect much success from my suggestions above, so let's try this.
> Having removed the line for snd-hda-intel from /etc/modules, add this line
> to /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base. See below.
>
> options snd-hda-intel probe_mask=1

The effect of that was to eliminate "/proc/asound/card0/codec#1:Codec:
LSI ID 1040" from the grep above.

> Please post back all the output from the commands.

I didn't see this reply until I stumbled across it in a google
search.

> Is the HP dv4 a new machine? It's possible it's not supported yet with alsa.

I bought it new but I've no idea how long the model's been out.

Thanks Nigel.


--
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
(*) http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/ Linux Counter #80292
- - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 03-25-2009, 05:48 PM
"s. keeling"
 
Default No sound on HP dv4

I just plugged a pair of external speakers into this thing this
morning, and found it all appears to work. YouTube videos and wmv
files play fine.

s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
> Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp@aliceadsl.fr>:
> > Repost of info posted on the /dev/sndstat thread by s. keeling.
> >
> > s. keeling <keeling@nucleus.com>:
> > >
> > >I'm just adding my similar situation. It's an HP dv4 AMD Turion dual
> > >core. I've not heard a peep of sound from it yet. Linux newmil
> > >2.6.28-0.slh.11-sidux-amd64 #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Jan 15 22:48:01 UTC
> > >2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux. Kernel is stock Sidux.
> >
> > > >> $ lspci | grep Audio
> >
> > >00:14.2 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)
> > >01:05.1 Audio device: ATI Technologies Inc RS780 Azalia controller
> > [snip]
> > First try loading the snd-hda-intel module as root. See below.
> > modprobe snd-hda-intel
>
> That worked. It loads.
>
> > if the modprobe snd-hda-intel does result in the module showing up in lsmod's
>
> The modprobe at the commandline managed to turn the red microphone
> icon on the laptop white (or I that's what did it).

Red mic icon is again red.


--
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
(*) http://www.xs4all.nl/~js/gnksa/ Linux Counter #80292
- - http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1855.html Please, don't Cc: me.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:20 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org