Old 01-21-2009, 07:55 PM
Kevin Philp

Default RT2560F wireless

I have been using a computer with a wireless card with an RT2560F chip
that works with network manager on Ubuntu Intrepid but does not work
under Debian Lenny. I am connecting to a wireless router with WPA-PSK.

Does anyone have experience of this chip and how to get it working under
Lenny?

Thanks

Kevin.

Old 01-21-2009, 09:49 PM
Michael Shuler

On 01/21/2009 02:55 PM, Kevin Philp wrote:
> I have been using a computer with a wireless card with an RT2560F chip
> that works with network manager on Ubuntu Intrepid but does not work
> under Debian Lenny. I am connecting to a wireless router with WPA-PSK.
>
> Does anyone have experience of this chip and how to get it working under
> Lenny?

I do not have this chipset, but an 'apt-cache search ralink' shows some
interesting packages, and the upstream docs look promising.

http://rt2x00.serialmonkey.com/wiki/index.php/Debian_rt2500_Howto

--
Kind Regards,
Michael

Old 01-22-2009, 12:42 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 21 Jan 2009 20:55:51 +0000
Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:

> I have been using a computer with a wireless card with an RT2560F chip
> that works with network manager on Ubuntu Intrepid but does not work
> under Debian Lenny. I am connecting to a wireless router with WPA-PSK.

You need to tell us exactly what and how it doesn't work.

Celejar

Old 01-22-2009, 08:44 AM
Kevin Philp

This is a new installation. Currently we have a Ubuntu server that
needs updating and we are considering replacing it with a Lenny server.

The installation was the default install with desktop selected from the
installation tasksel menu. After that the only other item installed was
wireless-tools.

The router we are connected to uses WPA. We are trialling two
installations: Ubuntu Intrepid and Debian Lenny. The Ubuntu
network-manager applet shows about 80% signal strength and the
connection, set up with network-manager, works OK. In Lenny, after
installing wireless-tools, I get a similar dialogue box but no signal
strength and no connection.

lsmod shows rt61pci module in available.

Thanks

Kevin.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:03 AM
Celejar

On Thu, 22 Jan 2009 09:44:16 +0000
Kevin Philp <kevin@cybercolloids.net> wrote:

[Please don't top post.]

> The router we are connected to uses WPA. We are trialling two
> installations: Ubuntu Intrepid and Debian Lenny. The Ubuntu
> network-manager applet shows about 80% signal strength and the
> connection, set up with network-manager, works OK. In Lenny, after
> installing wireless-tools, I get a similar dialogue box but no signal
> strength and no connection.
>
> lsmod shows rt61pci module in available.

Relevant dmesg and iwconfig output?
Output of 'iwlist ethX scan'?

Celejar