Old 01-21-2009, 01:06 PM
Micha Feigin

Default using different root option in alternate kernel option in grub

I'm trying the setup my grub menu.lst to automatically setup two alternate
kernel options
1. using nfsroot so it needs to have root=/dev/nfs
2. boot localy so it needs to have root=/dev/sda1

so I tried to set
KOPT=ro
defoptions=root=/dev/nfs
altoptions=root=/dev/sda1

The regular option works great but the altoptions ignores the root=... and only
uses the rest of the line.

Is there any way to achieve what I want without tweaking the results after each
kernel upgrade?

Old 01-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Adrian Levi

2009/1/22 Micha Feigin <michf@post.tau.ac.il>:
> I'm trying the setup my grub menu.lst to automatically setup two alternate
> kernel options
> 1. using nfsroot so it needs to have root=/dev/nfs
> 2. boot localy so it needs to have root=/dev/sda1
>
> so I tried to set
> KOPT=ro
> defoptions=root=/dev/nfs
> altoptions=root=/dev/sda1

>From a quick google, altoptions looks to support adding options to the
kopt line.

What I'd do is create a grub boot stanza and try point it to the
vmlinuz symlinks in /
This should pickup the new kernel each time.

Adrian

--
24x7x365 != 24x7x52 Stupid or bad maths?
apartment it is.