Old 01-21-2009, 07:48 AM
Daniel Dalton

Default downloading hotmail emails

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck with gotmail and hotmail? Or what other programs
do this? Can someone tell me the best way to download my hotmail emails
into the mbox format locally on my computer?
If you are using gotmail, could you please either provide a config file
or the command line arguments you invoke gotmail or whatever tool you
are using with?

Thanks for any help,

Daniel.

Old 01-21-2009, 10:08 AM
Juha Tuuna

Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with gotmail and hotmail? Or what other programs
> do this? Can someone tell me the best way to download my hotmail emails
> into the mbox format locally on my computer?
> If you are using gotmail, could you please either provide a config file
> or the command line arguments you invoke gotmail or whatever tool you
> are using with?
>
> Thanks for any help,
>
> Daniel.

Quoting the package information:
"Although the team behind Gotmail tries to keep it working, every few
months Hotmail makes changes which break this until they have time to
fix it. Have a backup plan for email access in case that happens."

I myself get this error: Page doesn't contain any form action field!

Maybe something has changed (again).

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 01-21-2009, 10:35 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Juha Tuuna a écrit :
> Daniel Dalton wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Has anyone had any luck with gotmail and hotmail? Or what other programs
>> do this? Can someone tell me the best way to download my hotmail emails
>> into the mbox format locally on my computer?
>> If you are using gotmail, could you please either provide a config file
>> or the command line arguments you invoke gotmail or whatever tool you
>> are using with?
>>
>> Thanks for any help,
>>
>> Daniel.
>
> Quoting the package information:
> "Although the team behind Gotmail tries to keep it working, every few
> months Hotmail makes changes which break this until they have time to
> fix it. Have a backup plan for email access in case that happens."
>
> I myself get this error: Page doesn't contain any form action field!
>
> Maybe something has changed (again).

Hi,

hotmail is now using pop3 too, details are :

pop.live.com (995 ssl)
smtp.live.com (587 ssl)

So no need for nasty tricks anymore.

Tom

Old 01-21-2009, 10:38 AM
Daniel Dalton

> hotmail is now using pop3 too, details are :

Excellent, thanks very much will give it ago.

Daniel

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Daniel Dalton

Yep, I get same error, will try pop3 though.

Thanks for the reply,

Daniel

Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 AM
Javier Barroso

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 9:48 AM, Daniel Dalton <d.dalton@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Has anyone had any luck with gotmail and hotmail? Or what other programs
> do this? Can someone tell me the best way to download my hotmail emails
> into the mbox format locally on my computer?
with getlive you can get your mail if your account was 'upgraded' to live

It works, read README file in usr share doc

Regards

Old 01-21-2009, 11:00 AM
Daniel Dalton

Hi,

Could someone please give me some hints on setting up fetchmail with the
hotmail pop3 server provided in a reply to this thread? Eg. how do I
enable ssl in fetchmail, and establish an ssl connection with fetchmail
and get the required pem files or whatever from hotmail?

Thanks,

Daniel

Old 01-21-2009, 12:41 PM
Pedro Insua

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 11:00:54PM +1100, Daniel Dalton wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Could someone please give me some hints on setting up fetchmail with the
> hotmail pop3 server provided in a reply to this thread? Eg. how do I
> enable ssl in fetchmail, and establish an ssl connection with fetchmail
> and get the required pem files or whatever from hotmail?

1) Install `fetchmail'

apt-get install fetchmail

2) Read the doc in /usr/share/doc/fetchmail
Read de manual `man fetchmail'

3) Create '~/.fetchmailrc' and set it `chmod 0600'

Now you have to put something like this in '~/.fetchmailrc' to
retrieve the hotmail mail:

# hotmail.com
poll pop3.live.com
proto pop3
port 995
user "youremail@hotmail.com"
pass "yourpassword"
is your_home
fetchall
ssl

Well, i don't use hotmail, but.. i think will be something like
this...

--
Porqu�oitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"
/ CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
X ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/

Old 01-21-2009, 10:20 PM
"Andrew McGlashan"

thveillon.debian wrote:

hotmail is now using pop3 too, details are :

pop.live.com (995 ssl)

Okay, good tip, thanks!

BUT, I had to use pop3.live.com as pop.live.com wouldn't resolve IP.

smtp.live.com (587 ssl)

I had weirdness with SMTP, I couldn't get it to work through Avast, but I
could get it to work directly with my email client AND I had to use port 25
with SSL, not port 587 ?

Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Old 01-21-2009, 11:18 PM
"thveillon.debian"

Andrew McGlashan wrote :
> thveillon.debian wrote:
>> hotmail is now using pop3 too, details are :
>>
>> pop.live.com (995 ssl)
>
> Okay, good tip, thanks!
>
> BUT, I had to use pop3.live.com as pop.live.com wouldn't resolve IP.
>
>> smtp.live.com (587 ssl)
>
> I had weirdness with SMTP, I couldn't get it to work through Avast, but
> I could get it to work directly with my email client AND I had to use
> port 25 with SSL, not port 587 ?
>
> Kind Regards
> AndrewM
>
> Andrew McGlashan
> Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Sorry, my mistake, it's definitely pop3.live.com :-(

Strange for smtp though, it works here on port 587 with ssl. Actually
it's the same port I use with smtp.gmail.com too.

Tom