FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Adrian Chapela
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

Hello!

I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?


My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
server needs very reliable filesystem.


Regards, Adrián


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 10:52 AM
Teemu Likonen
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

Adrian Chapela (2009-01-20 12:41 +0100) wrote:

> My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
> want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
> use (like most of us, I think...).

I can't comment the stability of the filesystem itself but I'd like to
point out another thing which you may want to consider: If the system
crashes (for whatever reason) and is not bootable anymore can your
rescue system read data from and write to ext4 filesystem?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 12:11 PM
pierpaolo
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:41 PM, Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:


I am doing my own tests with Ext4.*


My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I want to know that because I am really interested in use in production use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database server needs very reliable filesystem.



Thank you for your testing and *let us know*! i'm very interested and since i've not time to do that by myself... (maybe i'm too lazy?)
bye
 
Old 01-20-2009, 01:55 PM
Micha Feigin
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?
>
> My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
> want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
> use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
> recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
> and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
> is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
> inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
> server needs very reliable filesystem.
>
> Regards, Adrián
>
>

I'm having a good experience with it, but I would use it at least with kernel
2.6.28 and up (when it went from ext4dev to ext4). The problem is that ubuntu
and debian live and rescue cds are kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.26 respectively so
they won't be able to boot into the system. Also if you want boot on the ext4
partition you will need to use grub2 as grub doesn't support ext4. The last
thing is that laptopmode doesn't seem to work as well with ext4 as of now.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Adrian Chapela
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

Teemu Likonen escribió:

Adrian Chapela (2009-01-20 12:41 +0100) wrote:



My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
use (like most of us, I think...).



I can't comment the stability of the filesystem itself but I'd like to
point out another thing which you may want to consider: If the system
crashes (for whatever reason) and is not bootable anymore can your
rescue system read data from and write to ext4 filesystem?

This is a good question and I think that my rescue system can't read
ext4 at this time (I use this http://www.sysresccd.org). But I think it
is too early to think about it. I want to know if it could be considered
as a production filesystem. I will try this server for a while before I
will think on it as a production filesystem. At these moments I want to
find all of FS problems like recovery problems, staibility problems or
performance problems.


Thank you for your advice!




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 02:22 PM
Adrian Chapela
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

Micha Feigin escribió:

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:



Hello!

I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?


My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
server needs very reliable filesystem.


Regards, Adrián





I'm having a good experience with it, but I would use it at least with kernel
2.6.28 and up (when it went from ext4dev to ext4). The problem is that ubuntu
and debian live and rescue cds are kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.26 respectively so
they won't be able to boot into the system.
Yes I know, I am using my own 2.6.28 compiled kernel (Debian way
compiled ). I know this problem but at this moment is a secondary
problem, I think a lot of linux distributions will launch new versions
with ext4 capable kernel.

Also if you want boot on the ext4
partition you will need to use grub2 as grub doesn't support ext4.

Another good tip to save in my mind.

The last
thing is that laptopmode doesn't seem to work as well with ext4 as of now.

Yes, It could be the reason of the problem that someone had with his
partitions. His partitions locked for a few seconds before they gave a
response again.

It is a good thing to investigate, because it could be a hidden bug.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On 01/20/2009 05:41 AM, Adrian Chapela wrote:

Hello!

I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?


My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
server needs very reliable filesystem.


I also have noticed greatly-improved performance. For production
work, though, I'd wait for a later 2.6.28.x release, or even 2.6.29.


--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I am not surprised, for we live long and are celebrated poopers."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:25 PM
Micha Feigin
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 16:22:07 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Micha Feigin escribió:
> > On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
> > Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >
> >> Hello!
> >>
> >> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> >> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> >> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?
> >>
> >> My doubt is about the stability, is it really for production use ? I
> >> want to know that because I am really interested in use in production
> >> use (like most of us, I think...). I have done some tests about crash
> >> recovery and I have seen a good response. I have copied a lot of files
> >> and I have cutted power on server. The filesystem is OK after the power
> >> is connected again. I want to try with a mysql server on a intensive
> >> inserting/writing, I think this is a good tes to do, because a database
> >> server needs very reliable filesystem.
> >>
> >> Regards, Adrián
> >>
> >>
> >>
> >
> > I'm having a good experience with it, but I would use it at least with
> > kernel 2.6.28 and up (when it went from ext4dev to ext4). The problem is
> > that ubuntu and debian live and rescue cds are kernel 2.6.27 and 2.6.26
> > respectively so they won't be able to boot into the system.
> Yes I know, I am using my own 2.6.28 compiled kernel (Debian way
> compiled ). I know this problem but at this moment is a secondary
> problem, I think a lot of linux distributions will launch new versions
> with ext4 capable kernel.
> > Also if you want boot on the ext4
> > partition you will need to use grub2 as grub doesn't support ext4.
> Another good tip to save in my mind.
> > The last
> > thing is that laptopmode doesn't seem to work as well with ext4 as of now.
> >
> Yes, It could be the reason of the problem that someone had with his
> partitions. His partitions locked for a few seconds before they gave a
> response again.

‎that is usually not a laptopmode problem, unless it is doing it's work and the
disk had to spin up before a read.
In case this is a laptop (otherwise laptopmode usually isn't relevant anyway,
although it may prolong disk life at the expense of response time), does it
have hdaps (shock protection) enabled? I had this problem where the laptop just
locked up on the train due to too low a threshold for parking the disk heads.
> It is a good thing to investigate, because it could be a hidden bug.
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 06:52 PM
Alex Samad
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 12:41:43PM +0100, Adrian Chapela wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?

what are you using to test ?
>

[snip]

>
> Regards, Adrián
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a
> subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"I think we're making progress. We understand where the power of this country lay. It lays in the hearts and souls of Americans. It must lay in our pocketbooks. It lays in the willingness for people to work hard. But as importantly, it lays in the fact that we've got citizens from all walks of life, all political parties, that are willing to say, I want to love my neighbor. I want to make somebody's life just a little bit better."

- George W. Bush
04/11/2001
 
Old 01-21-2009, 12:09 AM
Celejar
 
Default Ext4 vs Ext3, is it really stable ?

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 12:41:43 +0100
Adrian Chapela <achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I am doing my own tests with Ext4. It has better performance than ext3
> FS. On some tests that I have done, I have 40 MB/s more than the same
> hardware with ext3 FS. Have you seen the same ?

Here are some more performance comparisons (boot times) between them:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Ubuntu-9-04-Boots-in-21-4-Seconds-101885.shtml

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:50 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org