Old 01-19-2009, 09:08 PM
Michael Pobega

Default IRC blocked at school

I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
#debian and #debian-eeepc

Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
to run my own tunnel or proxy.

--
http://identica/mpobega

Old 01-19-2009, 09:11 PM
Paul Gupta

Michael Pobega wrote:

I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
#debian and #debian-eeepc

Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
to run my own tunnel or proxy.

Do you have access to an SSH server somewhere?

Old 01-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Davide Mancusi

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:08:56 -0500
Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:

> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't
> afford to run my own tunnel or proxy.

There are web-based IRC clients. GIYF.

Cheers,
Davide

--
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:32 PM
L Glidewell

On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>
> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> to run my own tunnel or proxy.

I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said clients.
Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.

Old 01-19-2009, 09:47 PM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 05:11:44PM -0500, Paul Gupta wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:
>> I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
>> IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
>> #debian and #debian-eeepc
>>
>> Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
>> similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
>> to run my own tunnel or proxy.
>>

> Do you have access to an SSH server somewhere?

Nope. I wish I had a blinkenshell account, but I can't actually get into
IRC to get two members to vouch for me. Does anyone know of any good
free/cheap shell services that offer IRC? (I wouldn't mind paying say
$1/month for it, but it'd be preferable not to since I don't have my own
PayPal).

--
http://identica/mpobega

Old 01-19-2009, 09:48 PM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> > I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> > IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> > #debian and #debian-eeepc
> >
> > Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> > similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't afford
> > to run my own tunnel or proxy.
>
> I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said clients.
> Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.

Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.

I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
same effect?

--
http://identica/mpobega

Old 01-19-2009, 09:56 PM
L Glidewell

On Monday 19 January 2009 14:48:37 Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:32:35PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:
> > On Monday 19 January 2009 14:08:56 Michael Pobega wrote:
> > > I just got into my new dorm room, only to find out that they block all
> > > IRC clients. I find this pretty disheartening since I often lurk on
> > > #debian and #debian-eeepc
> > >
> > > Is there any good way to tunnel or encrypt my data, or something
> > > similar? I am looking for something feasible, considering I can't
> > > afford to run my own tunnel or proxy.
> >
> > I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said
> > clients. Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.
>
> Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
> so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
> to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.
>
> I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
> the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
> same effect?
My point was just that some irc networks offer non-default ports - partly just
for the security of client software, since non-standard ports make some
exploits a lot less efficient.

Whether this will apply to your networks, or whether or not doing this will
violate the terms of your residency at this dorm, is something only you can
find out for certain.

Old 01-19-2009, 10:12 PM
Michael Pobega

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 02:56:42PM -0800, L Glidewell wrote:
> On Monday 19 January 2009 14:48:37 Michael Pobega wrote:

> > > I doubt they block the clients, but rather the ports used by said
> > > clients. Also, try Mibbit if you haven't yet.
> >
> > Well yeah, web-based IRC works but I'd like to avoid it since I monitor
> > so many channels and have accounts on four IRC networks. I'd be a pain
> > to spend a whole two minutes logging into everything.
> >
> > I've read about ezbounce, but I'd need a computer between my own and
> > the IRC server to use it, right? Or could I host it locally for the
> > same effect?
> My point was just that some irc networks offer non-default ports - partly just
> for the security of client software, since non-standard ports make some
> exploits a lot less efficient.

Wow, that actually worked. I didn't realize that Freenode offered
connections on non-standard ports (I actually gave up looking after I
found out they removed SSL encryption, since I figured that's what I
needed).

Thanks for the help, sorry that the answer was so damn trivial. Now
let's wait and see when they realize that I am using IRC... Which will
happen within the week, I'm sure.

--
http://identica/mpobega

Old 01-20-2009, 03:25 PM
"Stackpole, Chris"

I know I am late to the party, but thought I would chime in anyway. It
has been a few years, but when I had the same issues at my school I used
SDF ( http://sdf.lonestar.org ). I am not sure about pricing now, but
back then they only required 1$ to sign up and that was just to prevent
people from using their services as spam/attacks/ect. It was a good when
I needed it.

Have fun!
~Stack~

Old 01-20-2009, 04:02 PM
Michael Pobega

On Tue, Jan 20, 2009 at 10:25:04AM -0600, Stackpole, Chris wrote:
> [...]

Thanks for the tipoff, perhaps I'll pay their price to use IRC, but do
they have irssi as an IRC client? Perhaps I'll give it a spin this
Sunday, as IRC access is free on Sundays.

--
http://identica/mpobega