FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-19-2009, 01:30 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default VFS panic in 2.6.28

Hi,

(Note that I've been rolling my own kernels since 2.6.0, and was
even able to make 2.6.27 work.)


The boot error is:
Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)

The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.


In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
the relevant fs and chipset drivers.


Here are the (I think) relevant portions of grub.cfg:

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
set root=(hd1,2)
search --fs-uuid --set [snip]fa6507
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
set root=(hd1,2)
search --fs-uuid --set [snip]fa6507
### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
set root=(hd1,2)
search --fs-uuid --set ec2cfda3-185d-4d41-a708-01472ffa6507
menuentry "Linux 2.6.28smp64" {
set root=(hd1,2)
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28smp64 root=UUID=[snip]fa6507 ro
}
menuentry "Debian GNU/Linux, linux 2.6.28-1-amd64" {
linux /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.28-1-amd64 root=UUID=[snip]fa6507 ro
initrd /boot/initrd.img-2.6.28-1-amd64
}


$ grep EXT[23] /usr/src/linux/.config
CONFIG_EXT2_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT2_FS_SECURITY=y
# CONFIG_EXT2_FS_XIP is not set
CONFIG_EXT3_FS=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_POSIX_ACL=y
CONFIG_EXT3_FS_SECURITY=y

Any (helpful) thoughts?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I am not surprised, for we live long and are celebrated poopers."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 06:03 AM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default VFS panic in 2.6.28

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:30:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)
> The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
> booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.
> In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
> the relevant fs and chipset drivers.
[snip]
> $ grep EXT[23] /usr/src/linux/.config
[snip]
> Any (helpful) thoughts?

what about scsi (or sata?) and scsi disk support in your
/usr/src/linux/.config ?

Moreover, if you think that grub2 is responsable (which seems unlikely,
but who knows) you can try installing lilo in the boot sector of sda1
(or whatever) and chain load such a lilo boot sector from the
mbr-installed grub2

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 07:21 AM
Sven Joachim
 
Default VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 2009-01-19 03:30 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> (Note that I've been rolling my own kernels since 2.6.0, and was even
> able to make 2.6.27 work.)
>
> The boot error is:
> Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)
>
> The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
> booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.
>
> In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
> the relevant fs and chipset drivers.

You have to use an initrd if you use the root=UUID=whatever syntax,
because

- udev needs to be run to create the necessary symlink to the real
device file in /dev/disk/by-uuid¹, and

- the init script in the initrd replaces "root=UUID=whatever" in
/proc/cmdline with "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/whatever" that the kernel
understands.

Sven


¹ Actually you can also create the symlink in the static /dev directory,
but that does not help if the device name changes. Which is the very
reason for using UUIDs in the first place.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 10:14 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 01/19/2009 02:21 AM, Sven Joachim wrote:

On 2009-01-19 03:30 +0100, Ron Johnson wrote:


Hi,

(Note that I've been rolling my own kernels since 2.6.0, and was even
able to make 2.6.27 work.)

The boot error is:
Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)

The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.

In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
the relevant fs and chipset drivers.


You have to use an initrd if you use the root=UUID=whatever syntax,
because


- udev needs to be run to create the necessary symlink to the real
device file in /dev/disk/by-uuid¹, and

- the init script in the initrd replaces "root=UUID=whatever" in
/proc/cmdline with "root=/dev/disk/by-uuid/whatever" that the kernel
understands.

Sven


¹ Actually you can also create the symlink in the static /dev directory,
but that does not help if the device name changes. Which is the very
reason for using UUIDs in the first place.


So initrd is for more than loading modules at boot time?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I am not surprised, for we live long and are celebrated poopers."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 10:18 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default VFS panic in 2.6.28

On 01/19/2009 01:03 AM, NN_il_Confusionario wrote:

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 08:30:03PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

Cannot open root UUID=blah-blah-fa6507 or unknown-block(0,0)
The big difference between Now and Then is that I also moved from
booting off of /dev/hda using lilo to /dev/sda using grub2.
In my home-rolled kernel, I don't use an initrd because I compile in
the relevant fs and chipset drivers.

[snip]

$ grep EXT[23] /usr/src/linux/.config

[snip]

Any (helpful) thoughts?


what about scsi (or sata?) and scsi disk support in your
/usr/src/linux/.config ?


Hmmm. While looking thru the file, I noticed that CONFIG_SATA_NV=m,
and checking a known-bootable kernel shows that it is "y".

I wonder how that happened...

Let me try that!

[long pause. Save As Draft is very useful!]

That was the cause. Since I use "make oldconfig", I wonder how this
happened. Seems as though there was some rearranging of the menu
structure. And when I got that working, forcedeth disappeared.
Somehow, my .config got whacked.




Moreover, if you think that grub2 is responsable (which seems unlikely,
but who knows) you can try installing lilo in the boot sector of sda1
(or whatever) and chain load such a lilo boot sector from the
mbr-installed grub2


Debian kernels boot successfully.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I am not surprised, for we live long and are celebrated poopers."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org