-   -   TEST: Can I post to debian-users? EOF (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/230100-test-can-i-post-debian-users-eof.html)

Ron Johnson 01-18-2009 10:33 PM

TEST: Can I post to debian-users? EOF

On 01/18/2009 04:44 PM, Allan Wind wrote:
Is there a way to configure the mailing list software such that test
messages are automatically treated as unsubscribe requests? If not does
anyone have a canned maildrop rule to do so?

Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't
ignore them?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Ken Irving 01-18-2009 11:12 PM

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 05:44:32PM -0500, Allan Wind wrote:
> Is there a way to configure the mailing list software such that test
> messages are automatically treated as unsubscribe requests?

Yes, as the list is run using procmail filters (smartlist). Refer to
the archives for the many reasons it's not going to happen.

> ... If not does
> anyone have a canned maildrop rule to do so?

I don't use maildrop, but google yields this example:

http://www.dotfiles.com/files/18/288_mailfilter

###################################
#
# Example 9:
# Software I don't wanne read about.
#
###################################

if (/^Subject:.*(exim|sendmail|[x]?emacs|gdm|xdm|imap|cgi|[ ]?deb[ ])/)
{
to Mail/trash
}

Ken

--
Ken Irving

Chris Jones 01-19-2009 12:14 AM

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 06:33:04PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 01/18/2009 04:44 PM, Allan Wind wrote:
> >Is there a way to configure the mailing list software such that test
> >messages are automatically treated as unsubscribe requests? If not does
> >anyone have a canned maildrop rule to do so?
>
> Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't
> ignore them?

True.. hundreds of posts on this list I couldn't care less about that I
routinely delete..

But then, I would imagine s/o subscribes to a list because they have
something to say..

In the sake of efficience, I post whatever.. and if it works fine ..
if it doesn't .. I have my failed post and another headache to fix.

I mean, they're welcome to post "Chris Jones is a twit" if they can't
think of anything else.

Allan Wind .. be a sport .. ignore them..

Allan Wind 01-19-2009 12:22 AM

On 2009-01-18T17:33:04, Ron Johnson wrote:
> Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't
> ignore them?

I find it inconsiderate of the sender to use a mailing list, with
thousands(?) of subscribers, for presumably testing his personal mail
configuration. As such my preference is to automate processing of such
messages as I already do for other subjects like spam. If it cannot be
done in a way that benefit all members of this mailing list and at the
same time educates the sender, then perhaps a per-user solution would be
an interest to a subset of this audience. As such it seemed
constructive to inquire if anyone had already solved this technical
problem. Of course the catch 22 might be that people that solved this
problem would be ignoring this thread already :-)

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC

dan 01-19-2009 12:27 AM

On Sunday 18 January 2009 22:44:32 Allan Wind wrote:
> Is there a way to configure the mailing list software such that test
> messages are automatically treated as unsubscribe requests? If not
> does anyone have a canned maildrop rule to do so?
If you are using mutt, just use mailfiler and delete the mail from the
server before you download it.

Kind regards,
Dan

Ron Johnson 01-19-2009 01:33 AM

On 2009-01-18T17:33:04, Ron Johnson wrote:
Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't
ignore them?

I find it inconsiderate of the sender to use a mailing list, with
thousands(?) of subscribers, for presumably testing his personal mail
configuration. As such my preference is to automate processing of such

I totally understand.

The problem is that the words "test", "testing" and "works" are
generic and can have other uses.

And still, test messages are pretty rare.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Patrick Wiseman 01-19-2009 03:00 AM

On 2009-01-18T17:33:04, Ron Johnson wrote:

> Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't

> ignore them?

I find it inconsiderate of the sender to use a mailing list, with

thousands(?) of subscribers, for presumably testing his personal mail

configuration. *As such my preference is to automate processing of such

messages as I already do for other subjects like spam. *If it cannot be

done in a way that benefit all members of this mailing list and at the

same time educates the sender, then perhaps a per-user solution would be

an interest to a subset of this audience. *As such it seemed

constructive to inquire if anyone had already solved this technical

problem.* [My emphasis]

I object to messages which use the phrase "as such" to mean "so", or "therefore", or whatever it is you think it means.* But it would be as silly to try to filter on semi-literate uses of "as such" as it would be to try to filter on irrelevant uses of "test" or "help" or other often legitimate words.* This mailing list is an open list.* As such [a correct usage], it accepts all messages, dumb or not (including this one).

Patrick

"s. keeling" 01-19-2009 11:35 PM

Patrick Wiseman <pwiseman@gmail.com>:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 8:22 PM, Allan Wind <allan_wind@lifeintegrity.com>wrote:
>
> > On 2009-01-18T17:33:04, Ron Johnson wrote:
> > > Are test messages really so common and burdensome that you can't
> > > ignore them?
> >
> > I find it inconsiderate of the sender to use a mailing list, with
> > thousands(?) of subscribers, for presumably testing his personal mail
>
> I object to messages which use the phrase "as such" to mean "so", or

I for one would prefer it if you didn't post both text and html to a
mailing list. It annoys me no end that that's google's default
setting.

... Which, btw, is a far more damaging practice than the OP's blank
message body.