Old 01-18-2009, 06:37 PM
Florian Kulzer

Default sound card not detected

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:36:35 -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am running debian/lenny.
> I have an integrated sound card:
> 00:1e.2 Multimedia audio controller: Intel Corporation
> 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 03)

I think this card needs the snd-intel8x0 module, not snd-hda-intel.

> It was recognized by the system but did not work.

That would have been the right moment to ask for help here.

> So I installed the alsa-driver, lib, utils as described at:
> http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Matrix:Module-hda-intel
> Plus: toos, oss, plugins

This makes things much more difficult, because it introduces a mix of
modules and messes up Debian's configuration files.

> The only 'unusual' thing during installation: I had to run ./snddevices
> to have the /dev files

Udev will take care of device node creation when the snd modules are
loaded; don't mess around in /dev unless you really know what you are
doing.

> But my card is not recognized now. If I run alsaconf, it does not find
> it. The sound modules are not loaded at bootup.
>
> If I run "modprobe snd-hda-intel" I get:
> WARNING: Error running install command for snd

You seem to have a broken mix of the Debian and the non-Debian ALSA
modules. Can you revert to a clean Lenny install?

Florian |

Old 01-18-2009, 07:59 PM
Tamas Hegedus

I think this card needs the snd-intel8x0 module, not snd-hda-intel.

Hmmm. It seems you are right.

That would have been the right moment to ask for help here.
First I always try to solve myself. And I could do it on my other
computer 2 months ago...

You seem to have a broken mix of the Debian and the non-Debian ALSA
modules. Can you revert to a clean Lenny install?

I do not know how to revert to a clean Lenny install.
Is it:
1. "make uninstall" for each installed-from-the-source alsa stuff?
2. aptitude install 'alsa-packages'
???

Thanks!
tamas

Old 01-18-2009, 09:20 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 15:59:12 -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:
>> I think this card needs the snd-intel8x0 module, not snd-hda-intel.
> Hmmm. It seems you are right.
>
>> That would have been the right moment to ask for help here.
> First I always try to solve myself. And I could do it on my other
> computer 2 months ago...

Fair enough. Just keep in mind that I can be less sure that my
suggestions for solutions will work as intended since I don't know all
the details of your modifications to the standard Debian configuration.

>> You seem to have a broken mix of the Debian and the non-Debian ALSA
>> modules. Can you revert to a clean Lenny install?
> I do not know how to revert to a clean Lenny install.
> Is it:
> 1. "make uninstall" for each installed-from-the-source alsa stuff?
> 2. aptitude install 'alsa-packages'

Maybe it is better to first have a closer look what is going on with the
system as it is. After booting, post the output of:

lsmod | grep snd

If shows any snd* modules loaded, unload them as root, e.g. "modprobe -r
snd-hda-intel", "modprobe -r snd-pcm-oss", etc.

Then run these commands as root

modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
modprobe -v snd-intel8x0

and post their output here. I would also be interested in the result of

grep "install snd " /etc/modprobe.d/*

to see the install command that modprobe complains about.

Florian |

Old 01-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Florian Kulzer

[ I am putting this back on the list. ]

Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:46:58 -0500, Tamas Hegedus wrote:

> Dear Florian,
>
> I uninstalled alsa* (were compiled for hda) and recompiled alsa*

I would reinstall the Debian alsa-* packages and the package for your
kernel.

> After boot-up I have the soundcore (and snd) modules loaded.
>
> modprobe -v snd-hda-intel
> install /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-hda-intel &&
> /lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-hda-intel
> FATAL: Module snd_hda_intel not found.
> FATAL: Error running install command for snd_hda_intel
>
> modprobe -v snd-intel8x0
> <nothing>

That means it was already loaded, which is a good sign.

> lsmod | grep snd
> snd_intel8x0 26364 0
> snd_ac97_codec 91844 1 snd_intel8x0
> ac97_bus 1728 1 snd_ac97_codec
> snd_pcm_oss 32576 0
> snd_mixer_oss 12800 1 snd_pcm_oss
> snd_pcm 63236 3 snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss
> snd_timer 17832 1 snd_pcm
> snd 46776 6
> snd_intel8x0,snd_ac97_codec,snd_pcm_oss,snd_mixer_ oss,snd_pcm,snd_timer
> soundcore 6368 1 snd
> snd_page_alloc 7848 2 snd_intel8x0,snd_pcm
>
> aplay example.wav
> I hear the speakers being activated but only noise no sound.

Run "alsamixer" and check the volume levels. Make sure that Master, PCM,
and Headphones (if applicable) are not muted. Also, try muting some of
the other controls, for example SPDIF-related ones (if you have them).

Florian |

Old 01-21-2009, 12:18 AM
Tamas Hegedus

Hi,

1. I uninstalled the alsa compiled by hand.

---
2. I tried to reinstall the essential kernel packages what I think might
have been affected by the manual alsa compile.

aptitude reinstall|[remove&install]
linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686
linux-image-2.6-686
linux-libc-dev

---
3. I tried to reinstall the alsa packages.
aptitude reinstall linux-sound-base
aptitude reinstall libasound2
aptitude install alsa

---
# These installed some more dependencies:
aptitude install alsa-oss alsa-source alsa-tools

!!!!!!
I do not have the driver
modprobe -v snd-intel8x0
install /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-intel8x0

FATAL: Module snd_intel8x0 not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_intel8x0

"aptitude install linux-modules-2.6.26-1-686"
does not install anything

ls /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/
oss soundcore.ko sound_firmware.ko

I do not have a "pci" directory I think I should have.
So where are my modules?

Just to be sure, I made a reboot. After that:
violin:~# lsmod | grep sound
violin:~# modprobe -v snd-intel8x0
install /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-intel8x0

FATAL: Module snd_intel8x0 not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_intel8x0
violin:~#

NOW I REALLY DO NOT KNOW WHAT TO DO.
(Moreover, I am new to debian - I have used RH earlier.)

Thanks for your help,
tamas

--
Tamas Hegedus, PhD | phone: (1) 919-966 0329
UNC - Biochem & Biophys | fax: (1) 919-966 5178

Old 01-21-2009, 06:31 AM
Rainer Kluge

Tamas Hegedus schrieb:
> ---
> 2. I tried to reinstall the essential kernel packages what I think might
> have been affected by the manual alsa compile.
>
> aptitude reinstall|[remove&install]
> linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686

> !!!!!!
> I do not have the driver

I had the same problem some days ago. I reinstalled the kernel with
synaptic and /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko
was back again. Maybe you should give synapptic a try.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:52 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:31:03AM +0100, Rainer Kluge <rkluge50@web.de> was heard to say:
> Tamas Hegedus schrieb:
> > ---
> > 2. I tried to reinstall the essential kernel packages what I think might
> > have been affected by the manual alsa compile.
> >
> > aptitude reinstall|[remove&install]
> > linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686
>
> > !!!!!!
> > I do not have the driver
>
> I had the same problem some days ago. I reinstalled the kernel with
> synaptic and /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko
> was back again. Maybe you should give synapptic a try.

aptitude and synaptic will both just call dpkg to reinstall the
kernel, so I doubt that this is the cause of his problems.

However, there is a difference between what you did and what he did:
I didn't see the kernel in the list of packages he reinstalled. It
might be worthwhile for him to try reinstalling the kernel itself:

aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6.26-1-686

(I don't know how to get his sound back, but that should fix some of
the weirdness about which modules are available)

Daniel

Old 01-21-2009, 02:59 PM
Tamas Hegedus

First of all thanks for the efforts!

From my original msg about reinstalling the kernel&alsa pkgs:

aptitude reinstall|[remove&install]
linux-headers-2.6.26-1-686
linux-image-2.6-686
linux-libc-dev

---
But I did now again:
aptitude reinstall linux-image-2.6-686

Same thing, modules are not reinstalled:
modprobe -v snd-intel8x0
install /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-intel8x0

FATAL: Module snd_intel8x0 not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_intel8x0

------------------
This is a little bit strange for me (the short file list for the
linux-image package):

>> Debian >> Packages >> lenny >> linux-image-2.6-686 >> i386 >> Filelist
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/i386/linux-image-2.6-686/filelist

Filelist of package linux-image-2.6-686 in lenny of architecture i386

/usr/share/doc/linux-image-2.6-686/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/linux-image-2.6-686/copyright

------------------
Since I thought that only virtual packages exists for linux-modules,
then everything is in the xen package (yes, stupid me).

Thanks again,
tamas

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Wed, Jan 21, 2009 at 08:31:03AM +0100, Rainer Kluge <rkluge50@web.de> was heard to say:

---

Old 01-21-2009, 03:22 PM
Tamas Hegedus

I really do not have the module.

I would like to solve by debian way (to learn the debian way) and not to
try again the alsa source from alsaproject.org

This does not return anything on my computer:
locate snd-intel8x0 | grep 686

ls -1 /lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/
oss
soundcore.ko
sound_firmware.ko

subscriptions wrote:

Same thing, modules are not reinstalled:
modprobe -v snd-intel8x0
install /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0 &&
/lib/alsa/modprobe-post-install snd-intel8x0
FATAL: Module snd_intel8x0 not found.
FATAL: Error running install command for snd_intel8x0

Strange,
rdegraaf@mycomp:~$ locate snd-intel8x0 | grep 686
/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0.ko
/lib/modules/2.6.26-1-686/kernel/sound/pci/snd-intel8x0m.ko

Try rebuilding the dependencies, by 'depmod -a'.

Best,

Rob

Old 01-21-2009, 03:34 PM
subscriptions

On Wed, 2009-01-21 at 17:22 +0100, Tamas Hegedus wrote:

> I really do not have the module.
> This does not return anything on my computer:
> locate snd-intel8x0 | grep 686

Have you run 'updatedb' lately (or through cron), such that 'locate'
database is up to date?

Best,

Rob