Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default mounting two disks on the same mount point (not at the same time)

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 05:10:05 +0100, Osamu Aoki wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 05:38:02PM -0600, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
>> I have a couple of USB disks that I use for backups. I rotate them so only
>> one is attached at the same time. I have a nightly cron that mirrors the
>> directories of interest onto whichever one is attached using rsync.
>
> You set LABEL to the same one.

This works great! I used tune2fs to set the labels (they're ext3) and then
here's the line from /etc/fstab that works.

LABEL=backup-r /mnt/backup auto noauto,user,sync,noatime 0 0

> Then /dev/disk/by-label/* should be the
> same for both. LABEL can be set for FAT system using mlabel command
> from mtools package. (Or MS-DOS label command)

I was about to complain that I don't have a /dev/disk/by-label, but then
it appeared. It seems to automagically appear when a partition with a
label is plugged in, but not if a label is added to a partition which was
already online.

Thanks!!

Reid