Old 01-18-2009, 03:05 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default How can I throttle down aptitude?

Greetings;

When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network
down so much that I can't do much of anything else that
wants to get to the internet, either on the machine running
aptitude or any other machine on the lan. Is there anyway
that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize the
entire bandwidth?

I have already tried using ionice but it didn't make any
noticeable difference.

I am running lenny on a P4 2.x GHz, 100 mps lan to Shorewall
and a 768kbs link to the Inet.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 01-18-2009, 03:47 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:05:21 -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network down so much
> that I can't do much of anything else that wants to get to the internet,
> either on the machine running aptitude or any other machine on the lan.
> Is there anyway that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize
> the entire bandwidth?

Apt(itude) should respect the following configuration setting:

Acquire::http:l-Limit "7"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate

(I never tried this myself, I just copied it from
/usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz.)

Florian |

Old 01-18-2009, 04:18 PM
"Guillermo Garron"

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:05 PM, Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:
> Greetings;
>
> When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network down so much that
> I can't do much of anything else that wants to get to the internet, either
> on the machine running aptitude or any other machine on the lan. Is there
> anyway that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize the entire
> bandwidth?
>
> I have already tried using ionice but it didn't make any noticeable
> difference.
>
> I am running lenny on a P4 2.x GHz, 100 mps lan to Shorewall and a 768kbs
> link to the Inet.
You may be interested in this.

http://www.go2linux.org/traffic-shaping-with-linux

And if you have more than one Debian PC on that connection you may
also be interested in:

http://www.go2linux.org/debian-ubuntu-package-proxy-server

apt-cacher can be configured to use only an specific amount of bandwidth,

Hope that helps.

regards,

--
Guillermo Garron
"Linux IS user friendly... It's just selective about who its friends are."

Old 01-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Celejar

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:05:21 -0600
Dennis Wicks <wix@mgssub.com> wrote:

> Greetings;
>
> When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network
> down so much that I can't do much of anything else that
> wants to get to the internet, either on the machine running
> aptitude or any other machine on the lan. Is there anyway
> that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize the
> entire bandwidth?
>
> I have already tried using ionice but it didn't make any
> noticeable difference.

Others have posted various solutions, but for a generic and simple
solution to this sort of problem, look at trickle (apt-cache show
trickle).

Celejar

Old 01-19-2009, 06:37 PM
Arthur Marsh

When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network
down so much that I can't do much of anything else that
wants to get to the internet, either on the machine running
aptitude or any other machine on the lan. Is there anyway
that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize the
entire bandwidth?

I have already tried using ionice but it didn't make any
noticeable difference.

Others have posted various solutions, but for a generic and simple
solution to this sort of problem, look at trickle (apt-cache show
trickle).

Trickle can work, but I've had it cause aptitude to fail to download
some packages unless I hit q and gg again.

I like Florian's suggestion for /etc/apt/apt.conf:

Acquire::http:l-Limit "7";

Arthur (finding 6876 kbps downstream of ADSL considerably faster than
the 3 kbps downstream of a V.34 modem).

Old 01-20-2009, 12:58 AM
"H.S."

Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 10:05:21 -0600, Dennis Wicks wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> When aptitude is downloading packages it loads the network down so much
>> that I can't do much of anything else that wants to get to the internet,
>> either on the machine running aptitude or any other machine on the lan.
>> Is there anyway that I can slow aptitude down so it doesn't monopolize
>> the entire bandwidth?
>
> Apt(itude) should respect the following configuration setting:
>
> Acquire::http:l-Limit "7"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate
>
> (I never tried this myself, I just copied it from
> /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz.)

Wonderful tip. I had been wondering about the bandwidth control for
aptitude downloads (and not anything else) for quite some time.

I put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf file:
// Options for the downloading routines
Acquire
{
// HTTP method configuration
http
{
Dl-Limit "10"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate
};

};

and now aptitude download is limited to around that value in Kb/sec
(Kilobits/sec).

I think this will be most useful when aptitude downloads updates
automatically (usually in a Ubuntu machine).

However, while having this option in apt.conf, is there a method to
override or ignore this from aptitude command line? For example, I would
like to limit the download rate for automatic aptitude downloads which
happen in background but would like to use more bandwidth while updating
a system myself from the command line.

Regards.

ever having been read.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:02 AM
"H.S."

H.S. wrote:

> I put this in /etc/apt/apt.conf file:
> // Options for the downloading routines
> Acquire
> {
> // HTTP method configuration
> http
> {
> Dl-Limit "10"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate
> };
>
> };
>

> and now aptitude download is limited to around that value in Kb/sec
> (Kilobits/sec).

Sorry, my mistake. With the above option, it is 10 Kilo *Bytes* per sec.
In the documentation file referred to earlier, the comment which has
"7kb/sec" appears to be incorrect. It should be "7kB/sec". The small 'b'
usually means 'bits' and "B" means Bytes.

ever having been read.

Old 01-20-2009, 01:15 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 20 Jan 2009 06:07:03 +1030
Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh@internode.on.net> wrote:

> Arthur (finding 6876 kbps downstream of ADSL considerably faster than
> the 3 kbps downstream of a V.34 modem).

Your dialup modem only got 3 kbps downstream?

Celejar

Old 01-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 08:58:36PM -0500, "H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> > Apt(itude) should respect the following configuration setting:
> >
> > Acquire::http:l-Limit "7"; // 7Kb/sec maximum download rate

[snip]

> I think this will be most useful when aptitude downloads updates
> automatically (usually in a Ubuntu machine).

Does Ubuntu install an aptitude cronjob?

> However, while having this option in apt.conf, is there a method to
> override or ignore this from aptitude command line? For example, I would
> like to limit the download rate for automatic aptitude downloads which
> happen in background but would like to use more bandwidth while updating
> a system myself from the command line.

aptitude -o Acquire::http:L-Limit=<whatever> <arg>...

Daniel

Old 01-20-2009, 10:11 AM
Arthur Marsh

Arthur (finding 6876 kbps downstream of ADSL considerably faster than
the 3 kbps downstream of a V.34 modem).

Your dialup modem only got 3 kbps downstream?

Actually it would connect at 31200 bps, so 3.12 kbps.

Arthur.