FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Rick Pasotto
 
Default package version numbers

There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
packages aptitude says:

Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable

However, 'apt-cache policy libglib1.2' shows:

libglib1.2:
Installed: 1.2.10-17
Candidate: 1.2.10-17
Version table:
*** 1.2.10-17 0
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Isn't 1.2.10-17 greater than 1.2.0?

Could someone please explain this to me?

--
"Develop success from failures. Discouragement and failure are two of
the surest stepping stones to success." -- Dale Carnegie
Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net http://www.niof.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:12 PM
Carlos Sousa
 
Default package version numbers

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 09:42:26 -0500
Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:

> There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
> tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
> packages aptitude says:
>
> Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable
>
> However, 'apt-cache policy libglib1.2' shows:
>
> libglib1.2:
> Installed: 1.2.10-17
> Candidate: 1.2.10-17
> Version table:
> *** 1.2.10-17 0
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

It is in stable as well. Don't you have stable in your sources.list?

Package libglib1.2 appears to have been replaced by libglib1.2ldbl, and
it shouldn't be depended upon by any package.

The only exception seems to be the package xmovie, and I'd say it's a
bug. So don't install xmovie for now.

--
Carlos Sousa


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:46 PM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default package version numbers

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:42:26AM -0500, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> was heard to say:
> There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
> tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
> packages aptitude says:
>
> Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable

What this means is that the solution to your dependencies that
aptitude calculated didn't leave libglib1.2 on your system. Probably
the message should say "it is not going to be installed", not
"it is not installable".

In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know what you
were trying to upgrade and ideally see all the output from aptitude.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 08:56 PM
Rick Pasotto
 
Default package version numbers

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:46:32PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:42:26AM -0500, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> was heard to say:
> > There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
> > tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
> > packages aptitude says:
> >
> > Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable
>
> What this means is that the solution to your dependencies that
> aptitude calculated didn't leave libglib1.2 on your system. Probably
> the message should say "it is not going to be installed", not
> "it is not installable".
>
> In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know what you
> were trying to upgrade and ideally see all the output from aptitude.

After reading Carlos Sousa's reply I was able to figure out a little
more what's happening. I get hesitant when aptitude tells me it wants to
remove programs that I use.

Anyway, I see that xmms is replaced by xmms2 and that qiv will upgrade
with libglib1.2ldbl. My only remaining problem is multi-gnome-terminal,
which is not in lenny. Why not? There are several reasons I prefer
multi-gnome-terminal to gnome-terminal:

1) Though the gnome-terminal help page mentions it, the actual
preference setting gives me no way to stop the cursor from blinking.
I can't stand a blinking cursor!

2) My prefered font, the one I've been using for years, neep, is not in
the list of available fonts. It's in the xfonts-jmk package.

3) Not really a problem, but a convenience. multi-gnome-terminal gives
me the option to open a tab as root.

4) multi-gnome-terminal has many other options that I've become
accustomed to that are missing from gnome-terminal.

If someone could suggest how to solve those problems, I think I'll be ok.

--
"The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a
different way." -- Dale Carnegie
Rick Pasotto rick@niof.net http://www.niof.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:29 PM
Carlos Sousa
 
Default package version numbers

On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 16:56:30 -0500
Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 12:46:32PM -0800, Daniel Burrows wrote:
> > On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 09:42:26AM -0500, Rick Pasotto <rick@niof.net> was heard to say:
> > > There are several packages that, when I try to upgrade them, aptitude
> > > tells me that doing so would break many other packages. For these other
> > > packages aptitude says:
> > >
> > > Depends: libglib1.2 (>= 1.2.0) but it is not installable
> >
> > What this means is that the solution to your dependencies that
> > aptitude calculated didn't leave libglib1.2 on your system. Probably
> > the message should say "it is not going to be installed", not
> > "it is not installable".
> >
> > In order to give you a more specific answer I'd need to know what you
> > were trying to upgrade and ideally see all the output from aptitude.
>
> After reading Carlos Sousa's reply I was able to figure out a little
> more what's happening. I get hesitant when aptitude tells me it wants to
> remove programs that I use.
>
> Anyway, I see that xmms is replaced by xmms2 and that qiv will upgrade
> with libglib1.2ldbl. My only remaining problem is multi-gnome-terminal,
> which is not in lenny. Why not? There are several reasons I prefer
> multi-gnome-terminal to gnome-terminal:

See http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=460784

It apparently died upstream, and had to be removed from Debian
due to dependency on incompatible (newer) Gnome libs.

Cheers,

--
Carlos Sousa


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 05:24 AM
NN_il_Confusionario
 
Default package version numbers

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 04:56:30PM -0500, Rick Pasotto wrote:
> Anyway, I see that xmms is replaced by xmms2 and that qiv will upgrade
> with libglib1.2ldbl. My only remaining problem is multi-gnome-terminal,
> which is not in lenny.

If you really want to use old packages on modern debian distributions,
you can manually edit /var/lib/dpkg/status to correct dependencies.

In this case this means

cp -pai /var/lib/dpkg/status /var/lib/dpkg/status.SAVED

$EDITOR /var/lib/dpkg/status

search for libglib1.2 in the "Depends: " lines and change it to
libglib1.2 | libglib1.2ldbl

(you can also do such kind of things after a manual download of a
$PACKAGE.deb and a dpkg --force-depends -i $PACKAGE.deb )

Note that you can use archive.debian.org and/or snapshot.debian.net in
your /etc/apt/sources.list (and perhaps also adjust /etc/apt/preferences
according to man 5 apt_preferences)

Note also that that these operations are UNSUPPORTED. I do them
routinely and they work fine for me (infact, my reasons to use debian
are these kinds of extreme configurability), but: NO WARRANTY.

--
Chi usa software non libero avvelena anche te. Digli di smettere.
Informatica=arsenico: minime dosi in rari casi patologici, altrimenti letale.
Informatica=bomba: intelligente solo per gli stupidi che ci credono.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:37 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org