Old 01-18-2009, 04:47 AM
Paul E Condon

Default mounting two disks on the same mount point (not at the same time)

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 05:38:02PM -0600, Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> I have a couple of USB disks that I use for backups. I rotate them so only
> one is attached at the same time. I have a nightly cron that mirrors the
> directories of interest onto whichever one is attached using rsync.
>
> I'd like to mount whichever one is attached at the same mount point,
> without having to specify the device. For example, rather than:
>
> $ mount /dev/disk/by-id/usb-ST316002_1A_DEF107679C83-0:0-part1 /mnt/backup
>
> I'd like to say:
>
> $ mount /mnt/backup
>
> The latter works for whichever is specified first in /etc/fstab, but not
> the other one.
>
> They are both *usually* the only USB disk attached, so they both appear as
> /dev/sdc1, but I don't really want to depend on that.
>
> Is this possible?

Better than giving both disks the same label, I suggest you give the
label that start with the same few leters and differ in one or more
of the following letters. Then use tab completion to mount whichever
shows up at /mnt. I use disk labels WDP-1, WDP-2 ... WDP-5 for mine
five Western Digital usb disks, so no matter which I plug in I type
/mnt/W<tab> and see if I really plugged in the one I should have.

Also write the label on a sticker and put the sticker on the disk.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net