FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:35 AM
Kumar Appaiah
 
Default Homemade FTP server

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:05:16PM -0800, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
> on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
> (remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
> perhaps even have a torrent client on it)
>
> I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
> what hardware would be recommended?
> Do people find that debian works well for servers?

See if the NSLU2 works for you. The NSLU2 (Slug) is a headless device,
which works pretty well as a headless server. I use it (with Debian
Lenny, armel) as an ssh only server for backups and building some
Debian packages, but FTP works pretty fine. I got my Slug for $42, so
it's fairly low cost.

The following websites give more details on NSLU2 and Linux in general:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NSLU2
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/

The following instructions by Martin Michlmayr make installing Debian
on the Slug:
http://www.cyrius.com/debian/nslu2/

Hope this helps.

Kumar
--
Kumar Appaiah
 
Old 01-18-2009, 04:06 AM
Ron Johnson
 
Default Homemade FTP server

On 01/17/2009 10:05 PM, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:

Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
(remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
perhaps even have a torrent client on it)

I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
what hardware would be recommended?
Do people find that debian works well for servers?


An Atom with a stick of RAM, a Samsung HDD and external power brick.

Something like this:
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/12/10/review_desktop_pc_shuttle_x27d/

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

"I am not surprised, for we live long and are celebrated poopers."


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 09:26 PM
Celejar
 
Default Homemade FTP server

On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:35:55 -0600
Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:05:16PM -0800, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> > Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
> > on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
> > (remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
> > perhaps even have a torrent client on it)
> >
> > I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
> > what hardware would be recommended?
> > Do people find that debian works well for servers?
>
> See if the NSLU2 works for you. The NSLU2 (Slug) is a headless device,

I've been toying for a while with getting a Buffalo Linkstation for
this sort of thing. Manufacturer recertified models are often
available for as little as $60-$80 USD. These prices include a HDD of
several hundred GB, and the HW seems to be superior to the Slug in at
least several ways (1000Mbit ethernet, internal HDDs plus USB
support). There's a pretty active hacking community:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page

and they have a Debian page:

http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Debian

But I ultimately don't know if linux is as well supported on them as it
is on the Slug. Anyone have a more informed, experienced verdict on
these Buffalo devices?

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-19-2009, 03:12 PM
André Berger
 
Default Homemade FTP server

* Celejar (2009-01-18):
> On Sat, 17 Jan 2009 22:35:55 -0600
> Kumar Appaiah <a.kumar@alumni.iitm.ac.in> wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:05:16PM -0800, talikarng.usenet@gmail.com wrote:
> > > Does anyone have any experience building their own ftp server for use
> > > on a hoem network? I would like to build a small headless server
> > > (remote login) for file storage (low traffic, preferably low power,
> > > perhaps even have a torrent client on it)
> > >
> > > I would like the project to be small (2x shoebox sized if possible) so
> > > what hardware would be recommended?
> > > Do people find that debian works well for servers?
> >
> > See if the NSLU2 works for you. The NSLU2 (Slug) is a headless device,
>
> I've been toying for a while with getting a Buffalo Linkstation for
> this sort of thing. Manufacturer recertified models are often
> available for as little as $60-$80 USD. These prices include a HDD of
> several hundred GB, and the HW seems to be superior to the Slug in at
> least several ways (1000Mbit ethernet, internal HDDs plus USB
> support). There's a pretty active hacking community:
>
> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> and they have a Debian page:
>
> http://buffalo.nas-central.org/wiki/Debian
>
> But I ultimately don't know if linux is as well supported on them as it
> is on the Slug. Anyone have a more informed, experienced verdict on
> these Buffalo devices?

They run HardHatLinux out-of-the-box, and come with an FTP server.
Debian ('FreeLink') can be installed with more or less effort,
depending on the model. Alternatively, software can be added via ipkg
once you've 'opened' your device, or you could compile it yourself of
course. Some newer models even come with bittorrent client software.

There's also a very nice alternative GPL firmware, foonas.

-André

--
May as well be hung for a sheep as a lamb!
.
Linkstation/KuroBox/HG/HS/Tera Kernel 2.6/PPC from <http://hvkls.dyndns.org>
iPhone <http://hvkls.dyndns.org/downloads/documentation/README-iphone.html>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-20-2009, 12:08 AM
Celejar
 
Default Homemade FTP server

On Mon, 19 Jan 2009 17:12:18 +0100
André Berger <andre.berger@web.de> wrote:

...

> > is on the Slug. Anyone have a more informed, experienced verdict on
> > these Buffalo devices?
>
> They run HardHatLinux out-of-the-box, and come with an FTP server.
> Debian ('FreeLink') can be installed with more or less effort,
> depending on the model. Alternatively, software can be added via ipkg
> once you've 'opened' your device, or you could compile it yourself of
> course. Some newer models even come with bittorrent client software.
>
> There's also a very nice alternative GPL firmware, foonas.

Thanks!

> -André

Celejar
--
mailmin.sourceforge.net - remote access via secure (OpenPGP) email
ssuds.sourceforge.net - A Simple Sudoku Solver and Generator


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:11 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org