Old 01-17-2009, 10:51 PM
Marc Shapiro

Default Can't start X after upgrade to Lenny

I decided that it was time to upgrade to Lenny so that I could use Firefox 3 since I have heard that might eliminate some of the lockups that I have been having.

My box has a PC Chips K8 motherboard with SiS 760GX/964 Chipset and an Athlon XP 800+ CPU.

This is what I have done:
changed my etc/apt/sources.list to point to Lenny
ran aptitude update
ran aptitude install dpkg apt aptitude
ran aptitude safe-upgrade
I had to run this several times before it completed without
errors and showed no packages still to be upgraded
ran aptitude full-upgrade
had to uninstall wine and sane to get this to run without errors

ran startx
got the following errors:

(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
(EE) Failed to load module "type1" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) Module "ddc" already built-in
Emulator asked to make a suspect byte access to port 4 (0x0004); terminating.

Backtrace:
0: /usr/bin/X(xf86SigHandler+0x7e) [0x80c91ce]
1: [0xffffe420]
2: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so(x_outb+0x57) [0xb7b21f17]
3: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so [0xb7b291d4]
4: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so(X86EMU_exec+0xab) [0xb7b3871b]
5: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libint10.so(xf86ExecX86int10+0x55) [0xb7b2ece5]
6: /usr/lib/xorg/modules//libvbe.so(VBESaveRestore+0xb5) [0xb7f2ece5]
7: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so [0xb7b17a8f]
8: /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers//vesa_drv.so [0xb7b1866e]
9: /usr/bin/X(AddScreen+0x1f7) [ox8073db7]
10: /usr/bin/X(InitOutput+0x236) [0x8073db7]
11: /usr/bin/X(main+0x2b1) [0x8074591]
12: /lib/i686/cmov/libc.so.6(__libc_start_main+0xe5) [0xb7cec455]
13: /usr/bin/X(FontFileCompleteXLFD+0x21d) [0x8073a81]

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

giving up.
xinit: Connection reset by peer (errno 104): unable to connect to X server
xinit: No such process (errno 3): Server error.

Any help in getting X to run will be greatly appreciated. I am hoping that this is just a question of a manual config change, but I don't know enough about X configs to know where to start.

Is there a known current problem with wine and sane? Wine is probably not much of an issue, but without sane my scanner is not going to function.

Thanks for any help.

Marc

Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Marc Shapiro

Marc Shapiro wrote:

[...]

OK. I can now get into X. Why worry about manually reconfiguring
xserver-xorg when I can use dpkg-reconfigure, as it says in the comments
at the top of the xorg.conf file, which I should have read first.

But now I have another X problem. If I try to use Ctl-Alt-F1 (or any Fn
key) to switch to a virtual console, then X dies. This is a big problem
since my wife, my daughter and I are always logged onto this computer
and we each have X sessions on separate vts. I use vt07, my wife is on
vt08 and my daughter is on vt09. This way we can each have our own
configuration, files, etc. and it only take a single key combination to
switch between them.

--

Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Old 01-19-2009, 05:48 AM
Marc Shapiro

Marc Shapiro wrote:

Marc Shapiro wrote:
[...]

I really need help getting this working.

Another thing to note is that after I get into X, even if I exit through
my wm's exit command I get the error:

Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11. Server aborting

Also, I am getting occasional artifacts on the X screen. This happened
to me in Etch when I used the SiS driver, so I changed to the vesa
driver and the artifacts went away. This doesn't even seem to be an
option in the new xorg.conf file. Is it somewhere else?

Something must be configured incorrectly, but I don't know what, or where.

--
Marc Shapiro
mshapiro_42@yahoo.com

Mon Jan 19 09:30:02 2009

IMPRONONCABLE_1,LDOSUBSCRIBER,LDO_WHITELIST,MURPHY _WRONG_WORD2,PGPSIGNATURE
autolearn=failed version=3.2.3