FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 01-17-2009, 05:51 PM
microwaverich
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

I upgraded from Etch to Lenny yesterday. Now aptitude isn't behaving
properly.



When I enter a single command at the command line, like:

aptitude install xawtv

it works fine.

If I just enter 'aptitude' to start the full-screen (ncurses?) version,
when it completes an install it stops responding to the keyboard. I can
abort using CTRL-C, but nothing else seems to work.


Advice?

....Rich


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:51:13PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
> I upgraded from Etch to Lenny yesterday. Now aptitude isn't behaving
> properly.
>
>
> When I enter a single command at the command line, like:
>
> aptitude install xawtv
>
> it works fine.
>
> If I just enter 'aptitude' to start the full-screen (ncurses?) version,
> when it completes an install it stops responding to the keyboard. I can
> abort using CTRL-C, but nothing else seems to work.
>
> Advice?

No, but I'm curious what your hardware / software configuration is.
I've been trying to figure out this bug for over a year now, and I
can't figure out why just a few systems show it.

If you're up to running some historical versions to see where the
bug was introduced, we could try pulling old packages from
snapshot.debian.net. For starters, maybe these:

Version 0.4.5.3-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/06/18/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.7-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/10/31/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.10-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/12/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.11-2:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/03/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Some of these will also need libcwidget1, which you can find here:

libcwidget1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/04/13/debian/pool/main/c/cwidget/

Thanks,
Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 12:55 AM
microwaverich
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 01:51:13PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
I upgraded from Etch to Lenny yesterday. Now aptitude isn't behaving
properly.



When I enter a single command at the command line, like:

aptitude install xawtv

it works fine.

If I just enter 'aptitude' to start the full-screen (ncurses?) version,
when it completes an install it stops responding to the keyboard. I can
abort using CTRL-C, but nothing else seems to work.


Advice?


No, but I'm curious what your hardware / software configuration is.
I've been trying to figure out this bug for over a year now, and I
can't figure out why just a few systems show it.

If you're up to running some historical versions to see where the
bug was introduced, we could try pulling old packages from
snapshot.debian.net. For starters, maybe these:

Version 0.4.5.3-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/06/18/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.7-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/10/31/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.10-1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/12/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Version 0.4.11-2:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/03/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/

Some of these will also need libcwidget1, which you can find here:

libcwidget1:
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2008/04/13/debian/pool/main/c/cwidget/

Thanks,
Daniel



Daniel:

I don't know if I'm "up to" it, but I'd love to give it a go.

Here's some possibly relevant info about my system. Let me know if you
need more.


Processor: 1.8 GHz AMD Athlon XP 2200+
Total Memory: 1 GB

The problem occurs with both kernels 2.6.18-6-K7 and 2.6..26-1-686.

As I stated originally, it did not happen with Etch (using 2.6.18.6-K7),
but it does happen with Lenny using that same kernel.


I had done the upgrade by:

1. following the recommended "Preparing for the next release" steps
(remove obsolete packages, get rid of /etc/network/options, etc.)
2. changed /etc/apt/sources.list settings from 'etch' to 'lenny' (I use
ftp.us.debian.org)

3. run:
aptitude update
aptitude install apt
aptitude install dpkg
aptitude install aptitude
aptitude dist-upgrade

They all seemed to work fine except:

X didn't work, and I found I had to run:
aptitude install xserver-xorg-video-nv

When I found that aptitude froze after an install in ncurses mode, I ran:

aptitude autoclean
aptitude reinstall apt
aptitude reinstall dpkg
aptitude reinstall aptitude

but that didn't help.

If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above
aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package
(any package?).


.... Rich


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:17 AM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
> I don't know if I'm "up to" it, but I'd love to give it a go.

Cool. Thanks! Part of the problem is, it doesn't happen on my
computer. :-(

> If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above
> aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package
> (any package?).

Yes -- starting with the most recent ones, install each aptitude
version (just the ones I listed would be fine for now), then try
installing or removing some small package. I use xsoldier for this
sort of test, but you can pick a different victim if you like. The
goal is to find the most recent broken version (i.e., the one where
the breaking change was introduced).

Thanks,
Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 06:56 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Saturday 17 January 2009, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote
about 'Re: aptitude freezes after install':
>On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net>
was heard to say:
>> If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above
>> aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package
>> (any package?).
>
> Yes -- starting with the most recent ones, install each aptitude
>version (just the ones I listed would be fine for now), then try
>installing or removing some small package. I use xsoldier for this
>sort of test, but you can pick a different victim if you like. The
>goal is to find the most recent broken version (i.e., the one where
>the breaking change was introduced).

Wow, this sounds like a job for "git bisect". Unfortuntely, I can't use
that method as the issue doesn't manifest itself on any of my systems.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 01-18-2009, 07:00 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Saturday 17 January 2009, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> wrote
about 'Re: aptitude freezes after install':
>3. run:
>aptitude update
>aptitude install apt
>aptitude install dpkg
>aptitude install aptitude
>aptitude dist-upgrade

I could be completely wrong here (and I would love a correction) but I
thought the preferred order was:
aptitude update
aptitude install dpkg # Core package handling
aptitude install apt # Core repository management
aptitude install aptitude # State-of-the-art dependency handling
aptitude full-upgrade # See below

Aptitude for Lenny and above like "safe-upgrade" instead of "upgrade"
and "full-upgrade" instead of "dist-upgrade".
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:22 PM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 01:56:27AM -0600, "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> was heard to say:
> On Saturday 17 January 2009, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote
> about 'Re: aptitude freezes after install':
> >On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net>
> was heard to say:
> >> If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above
> >> aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package
> >> (any package?).
> >
> > Yes -- starting with the most recent ones, install each aptitude
> >version (just the ones I listed would be fine for now), then try
> >installing or removing some small package. I use xsoldier for this
> >sort of test, but you can pick a different victim if you like. The
> >goal is to find the most recent broken version (i.e., the one where
> >the breaking change was introduced).
>
> Wow, this sounds like a job for "git bisect". Unfortuntely, I can't use
> that method as the issue doesn't manifest itself on any of my systems.

The problem is, the earliest version of aptitude which is known to be
free of the bug is so old that it no longer builds with the current
toolchain in Debian. And if you run "hg bisect", giving that version as
the starting point, "bisect" picks a version that requires a version of
libcwidget-dev that is no longer in the archive.

I'm trying to find a way of doing this without posting the horribly
convoluted instructions that would be necessary to deal with that
situation.

Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 02:41 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Daniel Burrows <dburrows@debian.org> wrote
about 'Re: aptitude freezes after install':
> The problem is, the earliest version of aptitude which is known to be
>free of the bug is so old that it no longer builds with the current
>toolchain in Debian. And if you run "hg bisect", giving that version as
>the starting point, "bisect" picks a version that requires a version of
>libcwidget-dev that is no longer in the archive.
>
> I'm trying to find a way of doing this without posting the horribly
>convoluted instructions that would be necessary to deal with that
>situation.

At this moment, I am particularly glad IANADD.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
 
Old 01-18-2009, 03:23 PM
microwaverich
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

Daniel Burrows wrote:

On Sat, Jan 17, 2009 at 08:55:10PM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:

I don't know if I'm "up to" it, but I'd love to give it a go.


Cool. Thanks! Part of the problem is, it doesn't happen on my
computer. :-(

If I understand you correctly, I should try installing the above
aptitudes (in reverse order?) and then installing some other package
(any package?).


Yes -- starting with the most recent ones, install each aptitude
version (just the ones I listed would be fine for now), then try
installing or removing some small package. I use xsoldier for this
sort of test, but you can pick a different victim if you like. The
goal is to find the most recent broken version (i.e., the one where
the breaking change was introduced).

Thanks,
Daniel


Well, I began already with a "Quicksort" type of approach: begin in the
middle and work outward.


I went to
http://snapshot.debian.net/archive/2007/12/17/debian/pool/main/a/aptitude/
and downloaded aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb and tried installing that. I
didn't see a k7 version, if that matters.


It told me I needed libcwidget1, as you said it might, so I went back
and got that, and it seemed to install just fine.


Then I repeated the install of aptitude, and here's what it told me:

dpkg -i '///home/rich/downloads/aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
(Reading database ... 112547 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace aptitude 0.4.10-1 (using
..../aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb) ...

Unpacking replacement aptitude ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of aptitude:
aptitude depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6; however:
Package libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing aptitude (--install):
dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Processing triggers for menu ...
Errors were encountered while processing:
aptitude
RESULT=1

I don't see such a libapt-pkg ... in the Lenny repository.

I next tried installing the older version 0.4.5.3-1, but the installer
refused to replace the 0.4.10-1 version due to dependencies with tasksel.


So I tried the newest one in your list: 0.4.11-2
It installed with no errors.

I invoked aptitude in a console and checked Help->About to verify that I
had the 0.4.11-2 version.


Then I searched for kstars, selected it (+), and hit 'g'. aptitude
advised of three dependencies it would load (e.g., kstars data) and that
libcwidget3 would be removed. I hit 'g' and off it went. When it
returned, it responded to commands and exited properly when I selected 'q'.


:-) :-) :-)

What next, Doc?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 01-18-2009, 08:26 PM
Daniel Burrows
 
Default aptitude freezes after install

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:23:32AM -0500, microwaverich <richgrif@one.net> was heard to say:
> Then I repeated the install of aptitude, and here's what it told me:
>
> dpkg -i '///home/rich/downloads/aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb' ;echo RESULT=$?
> (Reading database ... 112547 files and directories currently installed.)
> Preparing to replace aptitude 0.4.10-1 (using
> ..../aptitude_0.4.10-1_i386.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement aptitude ...
> dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of aptitude:
> aptitude depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6; however:
> Package libapt-pkg-libc6.6-6-4.6 is not installed.

Ouch. I forgot that the apt ABI had changed. So much for that clever
idea. I don't think we want to get into downgrading your apt.

But the one thing you did confirm is that apparently 0.4.11-2 doesn't
exhibit this bug. That gives us a starting point (and also limits how
far back we need to go, which will be a help). I think the version
range is narrow enough for "hg bisect" to be useful.

First, install the build dependencies of aptitude. You'll also want
mercurial.

# aptitude build-depends aptitude build-essential+ mercurial+

Now, get a copy of the aptitude source in the current directory:

$ hg clone http://hg.debian.org/hg/aptitude/head aptitude
$ cd aptitude

Tell "hg bisect" that the last known-good revision is 0.4.11:

$ hg bisect --good 0.4.11
$ hg bisect --bad tip

Mercurial will tell you that it's checked out a changeset for you to
test:

> Testing changeset 1499:79935933f5ba (305 changesets remaining, ~8 tests)
> 136 files updated, 0 files merged, 8 files removed, 0 files unresolved

Now, compile aptitude by running

$ sh ./autogen.sh
$ ./configure --disable-werror
$ make -C src

When you're done, run ./src/aptitude as root:

# ./src/aptitude

If you can reproduce the bug, mark the current revision as bad:

$ hg bisect --bad

If not, mark it as good:

$ hg bisect --good

Then in theory you can just continue compiling aptitude (using the
steps above) and running it, telling "hg" at each step whether the
revision is good or bad. If you hit a revision that you can't compile,
you can try this:

$ hg bisect --skip

If that doesn't work, post the output of "hg identify" and the
compile error, and I'll see if I can figure out a workaround for you.
Otherwise, keep going (should take about 8 tries) until mercurial says
what it thinks the first bad revision is, then post the output here.

Thanks,
Daniel


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 12:53 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org