Old 01-17-2009, 03:22 AM
Daniel Dalton

Default tv/radio card

Hi,

I'm wanting to buy a tv tuner for my computer, but before I do I have a
couple of questions:
- Do internal tv cards or usb tv cards work best?
- What models/brands are well supported?
- Does Remote control support work?
- Do any allow for reccording of tv?
- Do any supported cards come with a built in fm radio tuner? If so what
card should I get.

Finally, once my card is working, what programs should I use to control
the radio and tv? I found gnomeradio which seems to work with orca (I am
blind, so I need a program that is either gtk or command line based),
but does anyone know of a program that could control the tv? (that isn't
qt based).

Finally these cards will allow me to pick up standard tv like my normal
tv would won't it?

Thanks for any info,

Daniel

Old 01-17-2009, 03:41 AM
David Parker

> I'm wanting to buy a tv tuner for my computer, but before I do I
> have a
> couple of questions:
> - Do internal tv cards or usb tv cards work best?
> - What models/brands are well supported?
> - Does Remote control support work?
> - Do any allow for reccording of tv?
> - Do any supported cards come with a built in fm radio tuner? If
> so what
> card should I get.
>
> Finally, once my card is working, what programs should I use to
> controlthe radio and tv? I found gnomeradio which seems to work
> with orca (I am
> blind, so I need a program that is either gtk or command line based),
> but does anyone know of a program that could control the tv?
> (that isn't
> qt based).
>
> Finally these cards will allow me to pick up standard tv like my
> normaltv would won't it?
>
> Thanks for any info,
>
> Daniel

Hi,

There are a lot of TV tuner cards that work in Linux, either with native drivers or with drivers like ivtv.* I have a Debian Etch box running MythTV with two TV tuner cards in it, a Hauppauge PVR-350 and a Hauppauge PVR-150, both of which use the ivtv drivers.* The PVR-350 supports MPEG encoding and decoding, so it can be used for recording and playback.* It also comes with a remote control and IR sensor which work very well using lirc, and it has an on-board FM tuner which I have not personally used, but I believe does work under Linux.* The PVR-150 is only an encoder and can only be used for recording.* These two cards are fairly old, though, and I'm sure there are better options out there now.* I have read a lot of praise for Nvidia's TV tuner cards as well.

MythTV may not fit your needs as it is based on Qt, and that's all I have personally used with these tuner cards so I'm afraid I can't make any recommendations about software, but I'm sure there are several available.* The MythTV forums might be a good place to look, since tuner cards are a big topic of discussion, and a lot of people mention other TV and radio programs, too.

I hope this helps.

*** - Dave